Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Schnorr safety washers. Good source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
Where can I get a bunch of Schnorr washers? PP has them for $1 each. EACH! seems like a rip off. $24 +shipping for washers is a bit much... dry.gif

McMaster has non serated ones cheap, but not what I want.
shuie
You can get them in small bags from McMaster. They are listed a little goofy in the catalogue (Belleville Spring Washers), but they are there.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#safety-washers/=mum792

If you need them in really small quantities you can probably call the North America distributor for Schnorr and ask them for some samples.
http://www.schnorr.com/safetywashers.html
Phone: 734.677.2683
Jaymann
I would call jonathan at GPR,he can prob hook u up.Jaymann
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 21 2013, 12:59 PM) *
Good source?

http://www.schnorr.com/

confused24.gif
rhodyguy
the part # for the belleville is #93501A030.
Java2570
Eric @ PMB has them also.....
McMark
agree.gif with the McMaster number. Or drop by and I'll hand you as many as you want.
two-strokejohn
belmetric.com
Spoke
QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 21 2013, 05:11 PM) *

Eric @ PMB has them also.....

agree.gif

Support a loyal 914 supplier.

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I'm sure I've seen them at my local Ace Hardware.... idea.gif I'm going to have to take another look. shades.gif
draganc
QUOTE(scotty boy @ May 23 2013, 11:57 AM) *

I may have to remove and replace mine. I just ordered a pack from McMaster $10.25 for 100. Now which is the proper orientation for the washer?

Concave (left) or Convex (right) confused24.gif

I would say it doesn't matter.
McMark
It absolutely does matter. The ID should be towards the fastener head. If you want to know why, do a search because I've typed it before.
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ May 23 2013, 12:09 PM) *

It absolutely does matter. The ID should be towards the fastener head. If you want to know why, do a search because I've typed it before.

Looks like if you have a stationary part and a turning fastener head, that you would want the convex up and the concave side down. That would seat the washer. I say this because I didn't understand the abbreviation ID in this context. So this is a guess.
rjames
Now which is the proper orientation for the washer?

A pic from 'Original Customs' taken from another thread:
Click to view attachment
McMark
ID = inside diameter

The ID of the washer is roughly 8mm. If the hole in the cv joint is 8.5mm and you install the washer upside down then the washer will drop down into the hole slightly, thereby decreasing the spring tension of the washer.
draganc
QUOTE(McMark @ May 23 2013, 04:12 PM) *

ID = inside diameter

The ID of the washer is roughly 8mm. If the hole in the cv joint is 8.5mm and you install the washer upside down then the washer will drop down into the hole slightly, thereby decreasing the spring tension of the washer.

Thanks for the explanation, which I fully agree and have installed my cv joints the same way plus safety wire.

Not to start a pissing or "screwing" contest but don't you think that the OD area, when torqued, would "pull" the ID back out of the hole when flat?

I tried looking for your previous post - unsuccessfully. I did however look up the schnorr.de page and they stated that the washer are reusable (I would/did change them, like you, for peace of mind and because they are low cost) and no reference about orientation.

I have installed cv joints on two cars and I'm sure you have done plenty more, not challenging your experience just asking for better understanding.

dc
McMark
No, I love a good debate. smile.gif

Theoretically I agree that the OD would 'pull it flat'. But the purpose of the washer is to apply force and increase the friction on the threads. Shortening the 'lever' of that spring reduces the force. Think about loosing a lug nut with a 12" wrench or a 24" wrench.
draganc
QUOTE(McMark @ May 23 2013, 08:11 PM) *

No, I love a good debate. smile.gif

Theoretically I agree that the OD would 'pull it flat'. But the purpose of the washer is to apply force and increase the friction on the threads. Shortening the 'lever' of that spring reduces the force. Think about loosing a lug nut with a 12" wrench or a 24" wrench.

Well, let the games begin:

Theoretically you are right and I did/will follow "your" way. Even the fact that I believe it doesn't matter a lot - but that's just my opinion.

Do you also increase the torque value by 10%, as per schnorr, for zinc plated screws?
McMark
It probably doesn't matter a lot in practice. But I try to be the guy who puts in a little extra effort to do things a certain way. I often install washers with the rounded edges toward the paint to avoid scratches and put nuts on with the stampings out.

The torque values presented by Porsche were developed for Schnorr washers, so in a way, yes. wink.gif
Mike Bellis
It would appear that Mark is correct about mounting of the washer. Tha washers however can be stacked in both directions. When a single washer is used, it needs to be oriented as per Marks suggestion. If the washers are stacked, it will multiply the torque. See handbook.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Schnorr washers...
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.