Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil temperature sending unit for combo gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve914
I have a '74 oil temperature combo gauge for a 2.0 liter but dont have a sending unit. I know you have to have one with the right ohm output or something or it won't work. I believe the original sender unit is part 039-919-268 which is long out of production. Someone suggested part 901 641 632 00 as a replacement. I think that one originally goes with a 914-6 combo gauge or a '74 or newer 911. Does anyone know for sure if that will work? Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated?
THanks
Go to Bird site to look for sending unit
Steve914
QUOTE(396 @ May 23 2013, 09:53 PM) *

Thank you so much for the info.
Steve914
QUOTE(Steve914 @ May 24 2013, 10:28 AM) *

Do you actually know what the website address is?
timothy_nd28
I'm sure there is a sender out there for your gauge. I went a different route and bought this from ebay for 50 bucks.

Click to view attachment

I then dissembled the new gauge and stuffed it into my old fuel gauge. It actually fits very well. If you already have a true combo gauge, then this may be even easier. I had to print off a new gauge face, you can just reuse yours.
Click to view attachment

BTW welcome.png
Mark Henry
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 01:41 PM) *

I'm sure there is a sender out there for your gauge. I went a different route and bought this from ebay for 50 bucks.

Click to view attachment

I then dissembled the new gauge and stuffed it into my old fuel gauge. It actually fits very well. If you already have a true combo gauge, then this may be even easier. I had to print off a new gauge face, you can just reuse yours.
Click to view attachment

BTW welcome.png

How did you "print off a new gauge face"? smile.gif
timothy_nd28
Kinko's. PM me, I have extras
Mark Henry
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 03:38 PM) *

Thanks for the offer on the gauge face. but it's not quite what I'm after.
I just thought you had a line on how to make the little gauge emblems.

I'm thinking I have a /6 combo gauge oil temp one side and pressure the other, but then I lose my gas gauge. The 911 gas gauge is small and if I make a new face and some mods to the can, I bet it would fit at the bottom or top.
I think I will still do it this way with no emblems and just some basic marks.
gothspeed
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 10:41 AM) *

That looks great beerchug.gif! what does it look like from the gauge rear? is it closed up completely?
Mark Henry

I don't know which thread to put this in this one or the /6 idiot light thread ...so I put it in both rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking of making this into a combo gauge, pretty sure the gas gauge would fit in the top and then I'll mount the idiot lights in the bottom.
I wish I could just get the printing decals, I can do the rest. I think I'll just make a blank face, use the temp/pressure numbers and make the gas gauge with basic markings.

IPB Image
913B
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 12:38 PM) *

I have a combo gauge with the boring blank temp gauge, does it look like it belongs. Can I pay you for a copy ?
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 24 2013, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 10:41 AM) *

That looks great beerchug.gif! what does it look like from the gauge rear? is it closed up completely?

I don't have a picture showing the back, but its stock looking and closed up. Being that the ebay unit is VDO, it pretty much walked straight in without any issue.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ May 24 2013, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 12:38 PM) *

I have a combo gauge with the boring blank temp gauge, does it look like it belongs. Can I pay you for a copy ?

I printed off 3 sheets from Kinko's. The first sheet is sticky back adhesive style paper, the other 2 are photo gloss and photo semi gloss. I chose the sticky back for my gauge, just because I'm lazy. You would need to use adhesive for the other two. I can mail you a sample of all 3 styles I have, or I can email you the file which you can take to Kinkos.
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Steve914 @ May 24 2013, 10:28 AM) *

Pelican parts.com
gothspeed
Cool thanks for the response! smile.gif

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 24 2013, 04:20 PM) *

I printed off 3 sheets from Kinko's. The first sheet is sticky back adhesive style paper, the other 2 are photo gloss and photo semi gloss. I chose the sticky back for my gauge, just because I'm lazy. You would need to use adhesive for the other two. I can mail you a sample of all 3 styles I have, or I can email you the file which you can take to Kinkos.

Great work! They look very nice beerchug.gif
stugray
I then dissembled the new gauge and stuffed it into my old fuel gauge.

That is funny, I sat in my garage just two days ago contemplating the exact same thing with a disassembled combo in one hand, and a brand new VDO Oil press in the other.

I decided not to go that way though. Yours looks better than I thought it would.
I did figure out that I can probably use an old fuel sender as a CHT gauge though....

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.