Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam Kit Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I'm attempting to rebuild a 2.0 engine. Plan on using the original D-jet and 94mm piston and cylinders, stock rods and crank too. It's time to choose a cam and it seems like the best option is Raby's 9590 kit. From what I can tell the "Super Kit" includes everything except the set-up adjusting pushrod. I already have a set of modified 1.7 rockers for the swivel feet adjusters.

I just want to get some opinions on Raby's 9590 kit and if I'm missing something here as far as new parts. From what I can tell the kit includes everything I need for the valve train and this cam profile will work well with my stock set-up.
TheCabinetmaker
I have his 9550. Very satisfied. What's the dif in the two?

For the price, you'll leave a lot of hp on the table by not going 2056. Big difference for a small price.
Highland
According to the Type IV web site the 9590 is a replacement for the 9550. On the forum Mr. Raby says the 9550 is iphone and the 9590 is like the iphone 5. I don't have an iphone so I don't know what that means.

How much hp do you estimate? Seems like everybody goes to 2056 cc. Is that most of the gain or is most of the gain from the 9590 cam and valve train geometry; or does the 9590 cam require the increased displacement to have any advantage?
Mblizzard
Well as the old saying goes "The only thing that easily makes more horse power than cubic inches is cubic dollars."
r_towle
I dont have an iphone, but they seem to take the same phone and stick it in a new box with a new name....

I would just buy the whole Kit from Jake.
He tests all of it as a unit, and you need matching parts.
He is the only vendor that does that, and he has a very good reputation delivering a decent solution, not just a dissparate set of parts.

If he is pushing the new camshaft, go for it..
He tests them on the dyno and tweeks his profiles as he learns things...so its probable the bext you can get today, until someone finds a new tweek.

rich
draganc
Jake's stuff is top notch, however, since you are in SoCal you have a ton of local guys with parts and knowledge around you.

Chech out: http://www.drdracingheads.com/wordpress/

It's about an hour north of SD and the guy is easy to deal with.

Go with the 2056 upgrade, same cost but more power.

dc
Jake Raby
The 9550 is no more, hasn't been for over a year now.

As we develop new solutions we apply them and don't look back.
smveril
I am going through the same process of rebuilding my 2.0 to run with the stock fuel injection.

I had my heads redone by Len Hoffman and he recommended the Raby cam and the Webcam grind 73. I got the Webcam.
hedfurst
I used the 9550 with some 94mm Mahle flat-tops and was very pleased with the increase in performance in my 912E.
Highland
Does anyone know if the Raby 9590 Super Kit includes the adjusting pushrod or do I have to purchase that separately?
JFJ914
QUOTE(Highland @ Jun 7 2013, 10:35 AM) *

Does anyone know if the Raby 9590 Super Kit includes the adjusting pushrod or do I have to purchase that separately?

It's not included with the kit.
worn
QUOTE(Highland @ Jun 7 2013, 06:35 AM) *

You can do what I did. Saw a chunk out of an old push rod, tap it, cut the head off a threaded object or use all-thread, and add some lock nuts. I used 1/4 by 20.
Click to view attachment

In the end they turned out pretty close to stock. Also, those aluminum push rods are thick!
JFJ914
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 7 2013, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Highland @ Jun 7 2013, 06:35 AM) *

You can do what I did. Saw a chunk out of an old push rod, tap it, cut the head off a threaded object or use all-thread, and add some lock nuts. I used 1/4 by 20.
Click to view attachment

In the end they turned out pretty close to stock. Also, those aluminum push rods are thick!

Nice, BUT the radius of the steel pushrods is different. Your lengths with the aluminum push rod will be different than the steel push rod.
mgphoto
Bought the 9550 super kit a year ago, worked out great, I am using a 2.0L D-Jet, 95mm bore and 71mm stroke, counterweighted crank, H rods, lightened flywheel DRD 2L 914 repro heads 8.2 cr, runs GREAT!

D-Jet + 9590 is probably another great match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.