Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello World,

1975 914 2.0 D-Jet FI with GA '73 2.0 Engine.

Recently noticed a bit of slop in my shifter.....not wanting to go from 4th back to 3rd, going through the gate to get to 1st and getting 3rd.
So I have been reading other threads and thought cone screws may have come loose. Put the old girl up on jackstands yesterday and started at the rear. Cone screw on back was good, went to the firewall cone screw good and took the boot off of the shift rod and got a hand full of plastic, not only had the plastic sleeve coming through the firewall had fallen apart but the plastic pieces in the shift coupler were really toast.
I went to Pelican and ordered the shift bushing kit.

What I need is confirmation on how to remove the shift coupler to install the new bushings. On the end of the shift rod the only way to remove the shift coupler is to use a press to push the rod through?
I had another rod and checked it out but the PO had used a large bolt and the rod on the end was not there.

I am really looking forward to the prospect of having some great shifting soon. I can only imagine that the plastic was damaged the whole time I have owned my car and has been the reason that the shifting has been decent at best. I cannot wait to get the new parts in and really be able feel what gear I am actually grabbing. My 901 was refreshed years ago by OTTO (RIP), and I commented to him last year how I really like the feel of the transmission versus the 915 I had in my SC.

Happy Memorial Day weekend! flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif

Vysoc flag.gif
Dave_Darling
Yes, you press the pin in the coupler out. The bushings are fitted from the inside of the slot in the coupler, so you can't replace them without taking it apart.

I re-bushed the coupler on my wife's 911, used a vise and some sockets to do the pressing. I haven't done a 914 coupler, but I would think you could do the same.

--DD
Highland
I just replaced all the shift bushings and it has really improved the car's shifting performance. I had the same issue where the firewall bushing was broken so I just replaced all 4 bushings.

I tried pressing the coupler pin out with a vice, but was unsuccessful and destroyed the coupler bushing in the process which allowed me to tear the coupler bushing out with a pair of pliars. Not wanting to buy a press, I took the shift rod to the closest auto mechanic and they pressed the pin out and installed the coupler for $5. Seems like having the right tools always makes things easier.
Vysoc
Great information...thank you all!!!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
Drums66
.....Replacing the bushings does wonders! idea.gif

bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Never put pressure on the cast housing, only press against either one of the old bushings, or the rod itself.

Multiple deep sockets and a vice works fine.

Rich
Vysoc
June 1st,

Ok, I got Pelican Parts Super shift kit, used my vise to put the New Coupler bushings in, thanks to "Love my shifter" thread thank you. Created a device to pull the bushing in with a bolt and washer and a nut after seeing someone else do it.
FIREWALL BUSHING INSTALL:
Also for others if you struggle with installing the Firewall Bushing, get some water boiling and place the bushing in boiling water for 3 minutes...I installed the bushing with one hand in 15 seconds!

The ball cup was easy and the PO had already done the rear bushing with the bronze type. the only thing that I did wrong was put both cone screws in before I put the rear side-shifter cover on, what's 45 more minutes?

Actually I struggled most with the rubber cover up against the firewall, one of those things.

THE PAYOFF,

Just got back from a spirited romp on some decent roads...I would say that was the best shifting experience that I have ever had in any of my Porsches.
The shifts were solid precise and very easy, all for $43.00, I am one happy camper!!!

Thanks for all of the great help from the super 914 World People!!!!

Vysoc : driving.gif flag.gif aktion035.gif flag.gif shades.gif
rhodyguy
sorry to disappoint but...the set screws are considered a one time use item. when they are new you'll note a round piece of plastic inserted in the threads. it acts as a anti-backout feature. if your shifting goes weird again you will know the first place to look.
76-914
If you don't have new ones just stake the set screws and leave the first 3 threads unscathed. beerchug.gif
Vysoc
GREAT.............NOT, Buzz kill.

Well the previous cone screws were still very tight, but I guess I could splurge for another set or just put some thread locker on these. Anyhow thanks for the heads up, if things get loose I will know where to first look.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.