Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did the Porsche lawyer fairy make a visit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
76-914
Having been on the "short end of the stick" re: patent violations I feel somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. Yes, letters and numbers can and are protected in some instances. I used the telescopic/balloon lettering that DC Comics aka Warner Communications used to spell Superman. Ooops. I secured a patents atty to handle the case. In our first meeting he told me (and this is the part you need to get) "Oh you have a case alright; you just don't have enough money. We're not talking David & Goliath here. We're talking about a Giant and a fucking ant. They will schedule court hearings in NYC only to cancel after you have arrived and are out a $1000 in plane fares. They'll bleed you dry before it ever goes to court. Would you like to proceed?" I thanked him for his candor, wrote him a check then called their atty's to say that they were right and I was wrong. Guess what? They were great to work with. They understood that it was a start up company and agreed to give me 6 months to change the company stationary and re-letter the trucks. Remember the Golden Rule. It's universal. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 30 2013, 07:22 AM) *

also...if you PAID to have the rights to license their logos and such, then others used it free and unauthorized, wouldn't you be pissed?

Yeah, trademarks such as "it's the one" or Whinnie the Pooh now owned by a major corporation even though the copyrights are long gone. Or next maybe just plain A? They pay their money and run over the little guys cause they gots the money. So NO i would not be pissed if I had been so unreasonable to think that I could ever ever buy the rights to a word or a number. It wouldn't even cross my mind. Nor would it cross my mind to think because I had money I could run someone off their own hard work and effort.
naro914
Amazing...so if Porsche did NOTHING with restoration or parts supply, you'd all be upset saying they have forgotten all about their roots, but since they <gasp> want to make money at that aspect of their business, they're evil.

Porsche's are a luxury, not a necessity. They can and will charge whatever the market will bear. If 356's go out of favor, of course they'll stop supporting/restoring them. If the Cayenne suddenly stopped selling, they would move onto something new. That's what businesses do. Business 101.

Again, funny how everyone can be upset and call Porsche greedy because they have the audacity to make money off you while you're typing on your computer/phone/tablet using software from either Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. that make 70+% margins....

I guess I fall into the Greedy group since I expect to make money on my work, my ideas and things I sell.
carr914
I think those that are complaining about Porsche abandoning their roots are wrong. I don't know of another car company that stocks or makes parts for cars that are 20+ Years old. Try finding a part for a 10-12 Year VW - you won't find it!. Car companies make cars for today...period. Cars today are disposible, and that is why there are also very few "Real" Mechanics - Most Techs at Dealerships plug a Car into the Computer, the Computer spits out Codes and tells the Tech which Part to replace. Techs are Parts Changers, most couldn't fix their Toaster at home

Also the so-called Greed keeps Porsche from falling into the hands of the next rich empire. The list of car companies (Aston-Martin, Jaguar, Volvo, Land-Rover, Rolls-Royce, etc) that fell into others hands because they couldn't sell enough cars should make carguys cry
naro914
Umm...TC...Porsche is owned by VW now... who is striving to be the worlds largest car company. And if we're honest, greed is what got them bought out....

But I agree with everything else you said. smile.gif
bulitt
If I only owned the copyrights to "Happy Birthday"...
scotty b
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 30 2013, 03:09 PM) *

I think those that are complaining about Porsche abandoning their roots are wrong. I don't know of another car company that stocks or makes parts for cars that are 20+ Years old.

Mercedes. They have always suported the older cars by keeping the parts for them either in stock or having them made on original tooling. NO other company can compare the them on that front. A few years ago I was working on a 280 SL that needed a hood. One call to Mercedes and a brand spanking new one was delivered about 3 weeks later.
carr914
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 30 2013, 07:13 PM) *

Umm...TC...Porsche is owned by VW now... who is striving to be the worlds largest car company. And if we're honest, greed is what got them bought out....

But I agree with everything else you said. smile.gif

Well, you can say that Porsche is owned by VW or if you looked at their Financial Dealings the last 5-7 Years you could say that Porsche owns VW. In the end the Lawyers wrote it how it sounded best
'73-914kid
Apperantly the font is trademarked.. anyone else notice the 914world emblem up top....?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 30 2013, 08:15 PM) *

Apperantly the font is trademarked.. anyone else notice the 914world emblem up top....?

Yep... Sad... sad.gif
timothy_nd28
Doesn't the club site have the same font, why aren't they bothering them? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 30 2013, 09:28 PM) *

Doesn't the club site have the same font, why aren't they bothering them? confused24.gif

Not the same font.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 30 2013, 08:15 PM) *

nice!
Lou W
Will this affect Dr. 914 in Georgia?
worn
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 30 2013, 11:32 AM) *

Amazing...so if Porsche did NOTHING with restoration or parts supply, you'd all be upset saying they have forgotten all about their roots, but since they <gasp> want to make money at that aspect of their business, they're evil.

Porsche's are a luxury, not a necessity. They can and will charge whatever the market will bear. If 356's go out of favor, of course they'll stop supporting/restoring them. If the Cayenne suddenly stopped selling, they would move onto something new. That's what businesses do. Business 101.

Again, funny how everyone can be upset and call Porsche greedy because they have the audacity to make money off you while you're typing on your computer/phone/tablet using software from either Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. that make 70+% margins....

I guess I fall into the Greedy group since I expect to make money on my work, my ideas and things I sell.

Well coming after a group like this which is basically giving them free advertising makes me say yes. They are as greedy as they come. And looking at how they market their stuff I would also add GREEDY. But that is just me...
nathansnathan
No one noticed the site's logo has changed since yesterday? It's still the same as it was on the home page, but on every other page it's a different font now - something definitely happened.
euro911
[sarcasm]

Geez ... I hope we can keep posting updates regarding our P------ 9--s without fear from their legal department dry.gif

Can we verbally speak their brand name in public? laugh.gif

[/sarcasm]
ripper911
I guess my tattoo has to go...
nathansnathan
what about my 914world tattoo? It's totally wrong now! hissyfit.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 1 2013, 06:35 AM) *

what about my 914world tattoo? It's totally wrong now! hissyfit.gif

You have a first edition. It's worth more now.

idea.gif Make a lampshade and put it on Ebay.

MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 30 2013, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 30 2013, 03:09 PM) *

I think those that are complaining about Porsche abandoning their roots are wrong. I don't know of another car company that stocks or makes parts for cars that are 20+ Years old.

Mercedes. They have always suported the older cars by keeping the parts for them either in stock or having them made on original tooling. NO other company can compare the them on that front. A few years ago I was working on a 280 SL that needed a hood. One call to Mercedes and a brand spanking new one was delivered about 3 weeks later.

Correct. Mercedes and Ferrari both. If they don't have it, they'll make one for you. Whatever the year.

gopack
I like the 6/1/2013 version of the 914 world logo better. it has a nice pleasing font the evokes the Porsche font

Click to view attachment

Are we going to vote on the favorite, or are you guys just trying out new ones every day?
zymurgist
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 30 2013, 11:15 PM) *

yup... I thought that was rather odd...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.