Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did the Porsche lawyer fairy make a visit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
biosurfer1
or did I miss why we now have added text to the top of the page? confused24.gif
speed metal army
Maybe some pre-emptive safeguarding? biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
Saw that to smile.gif
Mikey914
Wow, just saw that, doesn't hurt.
ConeDodger
Move along everyone... Nothing to see here, just mind your own business. dry.gif
stuttgart46
That explains the black helpicopters
Spoke
Somebody's wrist got slapped. slap.gif
7TPorsh
evilgrin.gif
QUOTE(speed metal army @ May 28 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Maybe some pre-emptive safeguarding? biggrin.gif

Being proactive is a good thing. It lets the paid L.... that 914 W. is on the ball.
balljoint
While we are at it; probably shouldn't call the lawyer names.
Maltese Falcon
I think that Porsche realized that they can make good money in the lucrative 914 restoration market, just as with all of their past air cooled models.
Stoddard Porsche was at the SEMA show in the "Restoration" section, just next to the "Performance " section when we attended. That and the 6 figures that some GTs are commanding in the marketplace...they are watching their cash register, and all things legal in the aftermarket business.
Marty
carr914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 29 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Stand up to them...no infringement here at all.

Create a terms/condition page and stick it there.

Said by the Guy that Porsche will someday Crush!
7TPorsh
mad.gif
GeorgeRud
A retired attorney friend of mine once told me that if they don't try to defend their trademark actively and allow it's use (even under the radar), folks can come back and claim 'fair use' or some such BS.

As with everything else in the world these days, it always comes down to cover your butt. Just something we're forced to live with from now on.
914outlaw
If Porsche was paying attention to this site, maybe they would manufacture a retro 914 at a reasonable price.
worn
QUOTE(dpires914 @ May 29 2013, 11:05 AM) *

If Porsche was paying attention to this site, maybe they would manufacture a retro 914 at a reasonable price.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif chair.gif
914outlaw
QUOTE(worn @ May 29 2013, 03:28 PM) *

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif chair.gif

What part:

Retro 914
or
Reasonable price
biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Everyone knows these aren't real Porsches anyways. confused24.gif
QUOTE(worn @ May 29 2013, 12:28 PM) *

The replacement 914 is called the Cayman S. I test drove one last Sunday at the AAA Fontana track. Due to my neighbor sign up to test drive. he bought me along -smile.gif
It was a well balanced ride....way better than Boxster.
Mike Bellis
Why isn't Sir Andy replying to this thread? confused24.gif
euro911
What's in a name? I've known folks who named their daughters Mercedes and Porsche. I recently met a woman named Audi confused24.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(396 @ May 29 2013, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ May 29 2013, 12:28 PM) *

The replacement 914 is called the Cayman S. I test drove one last Sunday at the AAA Fontana track. Due to my neighbor sign up to test drive. he bought me along -smile.gif
It was a well balanced ride....way better than Boxster.

Good point, I agree....and my brother's lays don't fit in the new cayman, just like my 914's seats biggrin.gif

Back on point, I'm guessing we're just playing it safe with the P-car police.
carr914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 29 2013, 02:02 PM) *

Not at all...Porsche is fully aware of me. What am I doing wrong?

No name, no logo, no trademarks, no infringement. Plus i have a disclaimer.

COME CRUSH ME!!!

All I'm saying is Porsche & their Lawyers have Deep Pockets!. I worked at a Porsche Dealership and they gave us a Hard BitchSlap. You want to fight them - that's on you and your Bankrupcy Attorney
r_towle
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 29 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Stand up to them...no infringement here at all.

Create a terms/condition page and stick it there.

Fonts are trademarked.
Car names are trademarked.

Your site violates those.

rich
Dave_Darling
Numbers cannot be trademarked, FYI. At least, not in the US.

--DD
pete000
If Porsche cared about the 914 they would continue to support it by supplying parts !

Seems like anything I ever need gets the "NLA" stamp !

Imagine to be able to buy a set of brand new set OEM Bumpers !

Oh but wait, if Porsche made them now they would be 7 grand a set ! lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 29 2013, 01:56 PM) *

Why isn't Sir Andy replying to this thread? confused24.gif

Not putting words in his mouth...I'm just saying...maybe it's already been answered.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 28 2013, 10:35 PM) *

Move along everyone... Nothing to see here, just mind your own business. dry.gif
7TPorsh
beer3.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 29 2013, 07:49 PM) *

--DD

I was talking about the porschster site.

I believe this site is safe and with the disclaimer, it's now covered.
Krieger
This is 914 World. Not Porsche 914 World. Do they have rights to 914? They are probably pissed that dialing 911 is for emergency situations. Hopefully they went after Al Qaeda for bombing the Twin Towers on 9/11...
scotty b
Maybe you guys should just let this thread die unstead of constantly bringing it to the forefornt ?

Things will be what they will be. Porsche and VW are a bunch of money grubbing a-holes that don't care about what made them what they are today. they WILL NOT suport the cars and followers that built them, they only care about the newest flashy thingamabob that makes them popular. dry.gif

It's high school all over again
914outlaw
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 29 2013, 10:00 PM) *

Maybe you guys should just let this thread die unstead of constantly bringing it to the forefornt ?

Things will be what they will be. Porsche and VW are a bunch of money grubbing a-holes that don't care about what made them what they are today. they WILL NOT suport the cars and followers that built them, they only care about the newest flashy thingamabob that makes them popular. dry.gif

It's high school all over again

agree.gif
Fuchs them. biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif too. In my mind, the best possible scenario would be to have an original GT or something with real pedigree, restore it to immaculate condition and have Porsche come asking to borrow/buy the car for their advertising or marketing purposes...... and THEN be able to tell them to Fuch off smile.gif
euro911
Like when they introduced the RS America and touted it to be the most affordable [at the time] entry level 911? ... but then they announced that it would be a limited production, and that just drove up the price mad.gif

VW did the same thing when they reintroduced the 'beetle'. It was in such high demand, that many dealers were charging up to and over $5k above sticker. It's comical - they had 'dealer installed options' listed on the stickers, but not one salesman could explain to us exactly what those options were confused24.gif
johnpierre
someone has great eyes. i would of never notices that text. you porsche owners have an incredible attention to detail smile.gif
7TPorsh
barf.gif
7TPorsh
bs.gif
montoya 73 2.0
IBTL

popcorn[1].gif
effutuo101
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 29 2013, 02:01 PM) *

What's in a name? I've known folks who named their daughters Mercedes and Porsche. I recently met a woman named Audi confused24.gif

Stripper names don't count...
naro914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 29 2013, 07:49 PM) *

--DD

Don't bet on that. A guy here in Charlotte has a shop called 'The 911 Shop' and Porsche made him change it to 'The 9-11 Shop' many years ago.

Believe it or not, Porsche as a company DOES care alot about the older cars. Why would they create an entire restoration department just for older air cooled cars if they didn't? It's the dealers that don't....they are just a car dealer that happens to sell Porsches, versus selling Hondas, Toyotas, etc. They are privately owned and at best, reflect the personality of the ownership...either big corporate, race focused (like Brumos, Napleton, Paul Miller, etc), some classic focused, etc.

Many of you probably missed it, but in 2011, the PCA Raffle was for a 1972 (I think) car that was totally restored by the Porsche Restoration shop in Germany. It was their idea, not PCA's, to do this.

Back to the idea that Porsche needs to defend their trademarks. BMW, VW, Ferrari, Ford, Chevy, etc. etc. etc all do it too. So does the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA etc, etc.. Some more vigorously than others, but they all need to stay consistent with it so as not to look like they are playing favorites. Some go a little overboard (Porsche and BMW are a bit ridiculous IMO). Heck, 'Super Bowl' is trademarked, so as a business you can't have a 'Super Bowl' party or special where you would be making money without paying a license fee (that's why you hear "for the big game' on the radio for bars having Super Bowl parties)

also...if you PAID to have the rights to license their logos and such, then others used it free and unauthorized, wouldn't you be pissed?
biosurfer1
Sorry, but even Porsche does not care about older cars, let alone the dealer. They care about $$$ and it just so happens that older cars are commanding big $$ these days which is why Porsche all of a sudden cares. If they really did care about ALL older cars, there would not be so many NLA products.

If the the vintage 911 and 356 industry took a dive tomorrow, Porsche would shut down their restoration dept by the following day.
naro914
Um, last I checked Porsche was a for-profit business, not a charity organization.

I always find it amusing that people begrudge a company for making money...
ThePaintedMan
There is a difference between making money and being greedy. poke.gif
TheCabinetmaker
So if my custom dining room furniture cost 3 times the store bought stuff does, and I get every penny I can from my work, then I'm greedy?

Well yes I am. Its why i'm in business for my self. If I wasn't greedy, I would be working for someone else for 25 bucks an hour.
mepstein
Last year Ferrari mAde $100 million just from Licening their name. Greedy or smart business?
ThePaintedMan
Not being a business owner, or ever having any interest in it, I can see this is a losing battle and something I should stay the hell out of.

But it is frustrating seeing so many of you, who have owned and been faithful to these cars for years, bewildered by the current enthusiasm from Porsche and owners of other models, who for so long tried to forget them. Its sad to know that so many cars were neglected and eventually abandoned because Porsche had no interest in keeping them on the road. The fact that so many remain and that a market exists at all for them now is largely due to the many forward-thinking individuals and vendors (some of them here in this community) who kept them going. So for Porsche to begin taking an interest in older cars like the 914 and seeking to make money off of them after forgetting about them for so long... well, greedy is the only world that I can think of. There might be another, but it escapes me for now. Opportunistic maybe?

Certainly no disrespect to you Curt. Sorry if you took it so.
biosurfer1
I find it amusing when suckers think companies actually "care" about their customers and provide restoration services for any other reason than sucking every possible dollar out of them. Live in fairytale land if you want, but Porsche cares only about money, which is contrary to what people have said.

I didn't (and don't) begrudge any company for making money, but don't tell me its because they care about anything else besides padding their bottom line.
TheCabinetmaker
No disrespect taken George. I was just using myself as an example.
balljoint
Is it inconceivable that there is a measure of planned disregard for older models? Not to say that every car company would or even could think this way but; if Porsche allows the lion's share of an older model to rust away, then they create scarcity. Once the level of good cars drops below the level of demand then the price goes up. There are all kinds of ways to use a small group of enthusiasts and a rare vehicle to make money.

Feeding parts to a bunch of ugly rusty POSs and keeping them on the road would damage the marque.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.