Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Searching for a 914-6 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gridlock
Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a nicely sorted 914-6 GT; would prefer an original 914-6 that was converted to GT 'status' as opposed to a converted 914-4. I want one that is street-able, and has either a 3.2 or 3.6 liter engine. In searches on the internet, I came across these two:

1)
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo..._6/1568185.html

http://my.opera.com/surfmonkey/albums/show.dml?id=38974

2)
http://www.pbase.com/emoze/914_6_gt
(The 914-6-GT_Technical_Detail image has more photos under it)

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/dealer_9146gt_...lfgang_dworazik

I was wondering what you think about these, and which one would you buy and why. If you know of any other for sale, please let me know as well.

Thanks much in advance.

- Stew
Tom_T
No affiliation & know nothing about the car, but I saw this one in SF Bay Area via 914Club's CL alerts....

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=371597

I still wonder if the flares were "stolen" though! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
I find two faults with the Hemmings example. Mind you, I would still buy it, it was done very well from the pictures and text. Why would you go to all the work to put together such great paint and body work and not pull out the seal between the cowl and fender? Second, why leave on the side marker mushrooms?
sixnotfour
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_porsche_...owes_hines_fini

sorry only has a 2.0 906 spec.. You want a GT look not a GT spec 914
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 31 2013, 12:36 PM) *

I find two faults with the Hemmings example. Mind you, I would still buy it, it was done very well from the pictures and text. Why would you go to all the work to put together such great paint and body work and not pull out the seal between the cowl and fender? Second, why leave on the side marker mushrooms?

FYI:
I think this 914-6 GT was owned by one of our local MI guys (no name for confidential status) & then sold by him and again sold last fall by GR Auto(name???) in Grand Rapids, MI to someone in CA. If interested PM me & i'll research.
Tom
stugray
Call these guys:

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/

If anyone knows where to find nice 914s it is them.

Stu
flipb
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 31 2013, 12:36 PM) *

I'd be happy to own it too... but I'd hope that the original Mahle gasburners would be included in the sale.

driving.gif
Gridlock
Wow, very nice! Is this yours? I didn't see anything about it being for sale in the pbase link.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 31 2013, 08:50 AM) *

Gridlock
I agree with you about the side markers, but not sure what you mean about the seal between the cowl and fender; can you explain? Thanks.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 31 2013, 08:36 AM) *

Gridlock
Great idea; I actually already did that! They guy I spoke to didn't know of anyone though, so I just left my name and number.

QUOTE(stugray @ May 31 2013, 09:30 AM) *

Call these guys:

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/

If anyone knows where to find nice 914s it is them.

Stu

flipb
QUOTE(Gridlock @ May 31 2013, 05:01 PM) *

I agree with you about the side markers, but not sure what you mean about the seal between the cowl and fender; can you explain? Thanks.

Realize it wasn't my comment, but I think what Rob is referring to is this:
Click to view attachment

There should be a rubber seal in that channel, which may have been painted over. For comparison, my own 914-4 (sorry, the pic of my daughter on the hood happens to be the only one I can find that clearly shows the spot in question).
Click to view attachment
sbsix
the very early 914s (first 50 or 60 IIRC) had welded seams there, later changed to rubber. the picture could be of one of the first 914s made.
gms
I think you need to describe the usage of the car you want to get before anyone can help you. Are you looking for a car to race, invest in or you just like the flared look???

The title 914/6 GT is misused; anytime someone installs flares on a 914 they call it a GT.
All real GTs and M471s are documented by Porsche, they start at $150,000 and go up.
(914.043.0036 is neither)

There are also cars that were built with GT parts and raced in the 1970s and 1980s, they have a higher value than a car built in the last 10 years.

A car with real GT parts is very expensive today, even a nice example built after the 1990’s will run into six figures.

gms
QUOTE(sbsix @ May 31 2013, 04:17 PM) *

the very early 914s (first 50 or 60 IIRC) had welded seams there, later changed to rubber. the picture could be of one of the first 914s made.

they were leaded in the seam between the fender and the cowl, the front fenders are different as well.
carr914
I sold mine too soon!
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Gridlock @ May 31 2013, 01:57 PM) *

Wow, very nice! Is this yours? I didn't see anything about it being for sale in the pbase link.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 31 2013, 08:50 AM) *

Yes it is mine,too many irons in the fire...
Its not advertised but available
sixnotfour
Glenn, what's a GT front lid worth these days ???????????

I mean a Real one...
Gridlock
Ah, I see now. Thanks much for the picture comparison.

Great picture of your daughter on the car! I'm sure she'll appreciate that picture when she's much older.

QUOTE(flipb @ May 31 2013, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Gridlock @ May 31 2013, 05:01 PM) *

Realize it wasn't my comment, but I think what Rob is referring to is this:

There should be a rubber seal in that channel, which may have been painted over. For comparison, my own 914-4 (sorry, the pic of my daughter on the hood happens to be the only one I can find that clearly shows the spot in question).
hot_shoe914
You can buy the one on the main page for a song and a dance, BUT, I must warn you, the owner really loves unicorns and rainbows and is easily aroused by people dancing for him. piratenanner.gif
Gridlock
Ah yes, of course!

I'm looking for a really nice street car, that is in very good condition, and has been upgraded to a more modern version, with stronger engine, better brakes and suspension, etc. I had a 914 13-20 years ago that I bought for $5k and converted to a 3.2L six, as well as 911 brakes and suspension, and it was the most fun car that I've ever had. I've also had a Lotus Elise, Acura NSX Zinardi Edition, late model Mazda RX-7, so have a few good points of reference. I also want the flared fenders, as I think it looks nicer than the non-flared flat-sided look. I also prefer a car that started life as a 914-6 for it's historic and investment value. It's possible that I might want to try some autocross, but that wouldn't be it's main purpose in life. I realize that original GT's are basically unobtainable, and don't feel the need to own one of those.

It appears that there aren't a whole lot of these cars around anymore, and prices sure seem to have gone up tremendously since I sold mine about 13 years ago.

I'd also like to keep the price below $60k, so the links that I already listed above are the only decent ones I've found so far.

I'd certainly appreciate any additional opinions on the two cars listed, or any others that may be for sale.

Thanks

QUOTE(gms @ May 31 2013, 01:42 PM) *

I think you need to describe the usage of the car you want to get before anyone can help you. Are you looking for a car to race, invest in or you just like the flared look???

The title 914/6 GT is misused; anytime someone installs flares on a 914 they call it a GT.
All real GTs and M471s are documented by Porsche, they start at $150,000 and go up.

There are also cars that were built with GT parts and raced in the 1970s and 1980s, they have a higher value than a car built in the last 10 years.

A car with real GT parts is very expensive today, even a nice example built after the 1990’s will run into six figures.

siverson
> Very Rare Porsche M471 GT/ Steel Flares

Those "factory GT flares" look a lot wider than any stock flares I've seen... ?

The red car looks pretty nice, but if he really spent $100k+ on it (and is for sale for $50k+), any big engine (3.2+) conversion should have a 915 or later transmission, IMO. You shouldn't do all that work and leave the stock transmission.

Plus, I don't see the point in modifying an original six that much. Do the 3.6/915/steel flares/etc on a 4, and restore the factory sixes to stock.

-Steve
Gridlock
Hi Stave,

As far as the flares, did you mean on the black car? If so, I thought the same thing.

As far as the 915 gearbox, I don't think it's necessary with the 3.2L motor (unless it's raced I suppose), as long as you don't put too much torque in first gear. As far as I understand, the other gears in the 901 are quite robust and could take a lot of power. I had a 914 that I converted to a 3.2L/901 years back, and never had any issues with the 901 gearbox. The only issue I found, is that 2nd gear is a little too tall for quick starts with the stock ring & pinion gear. A shorter ring & pinion gear would be helpful.

Thanks

QUOTE(siverson @ May 31 2013, 07:48 PM) *

The red car looks pretty nice, but if he really spent $100k+ on it (and is for sale for $50k+), any big engine (3.2+) conversion should have a 915 or later transmission, IMO. You shouldn't do all that work and leave the stock transmission.

Plus, I don't see the point in modifying an original six that much. Do the 3.6/915/steel flares/etc on a 4, and restore the factory sixes to stock.

-Steve

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Gridlock @ Jun 1 2013, 07:25 AM) *

Hi Stave,

As far as the flares, did you mean on the black car? If so, I thought the same thing.

As far as the 915 gearbox, I don't think it's necessary with the 3.2L motor (unless it's raced I suppose), as long as you don't put too much torque in first gear. As far as I understand, the other gears in the 901 are quite robust and could take a lot of power. I had a 914 that I converted to a 3.2L/901 years back, and never had any issues with the 901 gearbox. The only issue I found, is that 2nd gear is a little too tall for quick starts with the stock ring & pinion gear. A shorter ring & pinion gear would be helpful.

Thanks

QUOTE(siverson @ May 31 2013, 07:48 PM) *

Recently there was a Craigs list "GT" featured here.
The car was yellow and had flares that appeared wider than standard.
It was at a dealer in Ca. and many commented on it. ( including me)
The flares on this black car look very similar.
What is curious is that both claim ( IIRC) to be original factory parts.

-Steve

mepstein
QUOTE(Gridlock @ May 31 2013, 09:18 PM) *

Ah yes, of course!

I'm looking for a really nice street car, that is in very good condition, and has been upgraded to a more modern version, with stronger engine, better brakes and suspension, etc. I had a 914 13-20 years ago that I bought for $5k and converted to a 3.2L six, as well as 911 brakes and suspension, and it was the most fun car that I've ever had. I've also had a Lotus Elise, Acura NSX Zinardi Edition, late model Mazda RX-7, so have a few good points of reference. I also want the flared fenders, as I think it looks nicer than the non-flared flat-sided look. I also prefer a car that started life as a 914-6 for it's historic and investment value. It's possible that I might want to try some autocross, but that wouldn't be it's main purpose in life. I realize that original GT's are basically unobtainable, and don't feel the need to own one of those.

It appears that there aren't a whole lot of these cars around anymore, and prices sure seem to have gone up tremendously since I sold mine about 13 years ago.

I'd also like to keep the price below $60k, so the links that I already listed above are the only decent ones I've found so far.

I'd certainly appreciate any additional opinions on the two cars listed, or any others that may be for sale.

Thanks

Build it yourself and get exactly the car you want.
flipb
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2013, 01:55 PM) *

You might say mepstein is biased in this regard.
mepstein
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 1 2013, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2013, 01:55 PM) *

You might say mepstein is biased in this regard.

biggrin.gif
Gridlock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2013, 09:55 AM) *

Ah yes, of course!

Thanks

Been there, done that. It will cost much more to get exactly what I want than to get something close.
mepstein
QUOTE(Gridlock @ Jun 1 2013, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2013, 09:55 AM) *

Ah yes, of course!

Thanks

Been there, done that. It will cost much more to get exactly what I want than to get something close.

Yes. Absolutely. Good luck with the search.
larryM
drunk.gif here we go again!

If I understand your query - you are hoping that someone here on World actually has driven, and knows firsthand, the cars that you are considering, or knows of one that is possibly available but not actively marketed ??????????

imho, nobody can appraise a car like you seek based on internet photos and never having driven it - but as we routinely see on BaT, thousands of pundits will give you an opinion, nevertheless

- a good tactic would be to just start making direct inquiries to everyone who has one now, that you think looks nice on the web

- start by searching the database here on World cuz most of those cars are owned by people who care about them, which gives you one leg up on the internet insecurity ladder

If the owner bites, and you can't go see the car yourself, then send your own appraiser to look it over on site, and also arrange for a PPI by a Porsche expert who is local to the site of the car - - there are 'way too many shortcuts that a conversion builder can take, that you won't discover until you own the thing for a month -

maybe use this for your comparo shopping: somebody apparently b'ot it
914-6 GT eBay - $65K

there are also some other 914-6 eBay sales in the past 12 months you can use for further comparo

there are enuf such cars available to meet your requirements - but maybe not actively for sale at the moment

car guys are always looking up to the next acquisition and often will yield to temptation to buy that new more costly toy if somebody serious is standing in the driveway with cash in hand to take away the current toy and enable that new acquisition

(and then too, divorces, foreclosures, job losses, and other bad things happen that entice sales of treasured cars) (btdt) - i have seen enuf exotic cars with mega-$$$ invested sell for half or less of the owner's "investment" under such circumstances - (we not too long ago saw a 914-4 with a GT body conversion -sell here for about $7K cash with over $28K invested - and the engine was still out and it had no paint)

- life happens, and if you are there with cash on the fateful day, you WIN!

I can tell you first-hand that adding a 3.2 or 3.6, is not a trivial nor cheap endeavor (just done that, and 2 friends also in the process)

? starting with an average stock 914-6 at today's internet bid prices, and then adding steel flares too - well that means a fresh $10K paint job after the flares are installed at a cost of say, at least $6K - ? adding a 915 or 916 trans ? - hah! - I just got my 916 kit - be lucky if that conversion can be completed and installed for under $10K

confused24.gif - oh, oh - there's that $90K looming on the horizon as noted above

on the other hand - i admit that thousands of people DO bid & buy on eBay all the time for cars they only see in pics - dunno how that works out in general, but the few I do personally know of have not turned out to be the great deals the bidders expected smile.gif

(p.s. - i'm not subscribed to see replies on this topic)

QUOTE(Gridlock @ May 31 2013, 07:59 AM) *

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a nicely sorted 914-6 GT; would prefer an original 914-6 that was converted to GT 'status' as opposed to a converted 914-4. I want one that is street-able, and has either a 3.2 or 3.6 liter engine.

I was wondering what you think about these, and which one would you buy and why. If you know of any other for sale, please let me know as well.

- Stew
moparrob
Stew, If you are serious about getting a nice car I may have something of interest for you. I too was looking for a very nice example of a 914-6 GT and was fortunate enough to find my present car.

My project has been sitting for over six months now although it is nearly complete. I have done an extremely large amount of work to the car since I have purchased it, with the plan of converting it from a beautiful four-cylinder car to an extremely trick six-cylinder car.

The guy from whom I bought the car had done a complete ground-up restoration in 1998. The car has sat from that time to the present in a garage on Jack stands.

If you are serious about wanting a nice six-cylinder car check out the description on this one:

EXCELLENT CONDITION - 914-6 GT metal flared replica built from a 74 2.0. VIN: 4742916514, manufactured 04/74. Color: L80E Light Ivory - 2 minor defects - otherwise beautiful. See video link.

This is the car the day got it:

IPB Image

This car underwent a complete restoration in 1998 and has been stored in a garage since. This car was taken down to the last bolt literally. All hardware that was removed and kept was cadmium plated. The complete suspension, wiper arms, gas tank, roll bar and other parts are powder coated.

Pretty much all of the parts are new. I have a huge pack of receipts that come with the car. I’ll never get back what I paid into it but I don’t expect to.

Body: Completely stripped and done correctly by Eurotech Bodywerks in Totem Lake Washington. They are a much respected and sought after body shop for fine autos. NO expense was spared and the cost was what you would expect from a job like they did. The interior and trunk areas were done as well. Still have receipts. The metal flares are genuine Porsche factory Porsche 914-GT part numbers and were professionally butt welded to the car.

The battery tray was replaced with repro parts and a small bit of rust was taken care of before the paint was applied.

Rear bumper was completely straightened (tit holes welded) then painted gloss black and now looks awesome.

Front bumper and valance are 916 replica (fiberglass) to allow air to reach front cooler. The front bumper has been fitted to allow for the completely reconditioned fog lamps with powder coated backs, new lenses and new black grills.

IPB Image

Engine: Not currently installed - but the car is set up for, and includes, a 1979 3.0 (big port) flat six. The engine came from a customer of Patrick Motorsports in Arizona and has been checked, re-sealed, turbo cam chain tensioner upgrade, plus turbo valve covers are installed (machined to clear the suspension arms and powder coated).

IPB Image

IPB Image

A complete set of 914-6 conversion sheet metal has been painted and installed. The fan has been powder coated and a new alternator installed while it was apart.

IPB Image

1 5/8 inch headers (from Marty at MSDS) have been professionally ceramic coated.

Weber 40 IDA-3C carbs with manifolds were sourced then completely gone through by Paul Abbott at Performance Oriented. Carbs have been bench run, jetted and synched and are installed and ready to run. New phenolic spacers have been installed. All linkage has been cadmium plated.

IPB Image

Distributor was rebuilt and re-curved by Jerry Woods specifically for this configuration, utilizing a new distributor cap.

A new Rich Johnson 6 cylinder engine conversion mount has been welded in, seam sealed and primered.

Clutch: Kennedy Engineering Stage II conversion kit including flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk and throw out bearing are new in box (not installed). This allows you to use stock 901 side shifter.

Front cooler/cooling system: A Mazda RX-7 cooler has been flushed, inspected and modified with AN -12 fittings and fitted to a custom mount using thermostatically controlled dual electric fans. Custom braided AN -12 hydraulic lines have been fabricated and extend from front cooler to rear Mocal thermosat and to rear oil tank.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Engine oil cooler has been modified with AN fittings and output is redirected for use in a 914.

Has brand new Patrick Motorsports oil tank and original 914-6 filler and oil filter console hardware.

IPB Image

Electrical and ignition: Complete new rear wiring harness custom made by Perry Kiel at 914 Network (amazing work), eliminates relay board entirely. Set up for MSD ignition box.

New MSD-6AL ignition box and Blaster coil - both in boxes. New Magnecor (the best) ignition wires.

Includes Optima gel 34R battery.

Fuel system: Fuel tank was removed, stripped, internally coated and exterior powder coated gloss black. New fuel sender.

Holley HP 125 fuel pump and 10 micron external fuel filter have been mounted in front trunk (next to collapsible 911 spare). Holley adjustable fuel regulator in mounted in engine compartment. The entire car has been plumbed in aluminum fuel line with AN -6 fuel fittings.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Transmission: 5 speed standard ratios and it was re-built with about 1,000 miles currently on it. Installed 914-6 mid plate with 914-6 throttle linkage included. Was recently taken apart, examined and re-sealed. The shift rod was modified for the headers, powder coated black, all side shifter parts were replaced, and all shifter bushings are new.

Rear Suspension and brakes: The rear suspension was completely removed and bead blasted. The arms were strengthened with the Automotion kit which was welded on, and the sway bar attachment arms were also welded. The arms were prepped like body work then they were powder coated black. New poly-graphite bushings and bearings were installed. Koni shocks with adjustable preload installed.

The rear brakes are 914 with braided lines, 911 cross-drilled rotors attached to machined and hardened 914-6 half shaft adapters.

Front Suspension and brakes: The front suspension assembly was completely disassembled and bead blasted before being powder coated. The sway bar attachment points were welded to the arms then the arms, mount, steering rack and cross tube were powder coated and rebuilt with new poly graphite bushings, bearing, seals. 911 SC struts with adjustable perches, Koni shocks, turbo tie rods, ball joints have been installed. The torsion bars are stock size.

The front brakes are 911 SC and the pads are Padgid RS-4 with stainless steel braided brake lines.

Sway bars are 22mm with improved front adapters and are adjustable for balancing or preloading installed using poly graphite bushings.

Interior and trunks: completely prepped and repainted. All trunk hardware and plastic was replaced with new or cadmium plated original parts. A roll bar was designed for this car, built and powder coated red and fitted to the car using bolts so it can be removed to access the rear panel.

A 911 (6 cylinder) tach was installed in the stock location. All gauges have been rebuilt to early specs, with chrome button on needles, by North Hollywood Speedometer. Also has custom quad gauge from New Vintage gauges with combination amps, oil pressure, fuel level and oil temperature.

IPB Image

A short shift kit has been installed, sound proofing was melted and formed into place with heat guns inside the doors (resulting in a nice door slam not tinny - but 911 like). Sound proofing was also installed on the floor pans, foot well, and sills. Carpet has been removed but includes a new set of Porsche crest embossed mats. A MOMO leather steering wheel is installed. The pedal cluster was removed bread blasted powder coated, new silicon brass bushings, springs and pedal pads installed.

Stock handbrake was removed (to accommodate 911 seats) and a 911 center handbrake has been mounted with custom cables fabricated to operate stock 914 rear parking brake/calipers.

New Engman fuse panel using new-style fuses (fits stock location) has been purchased, not installed.

Includes two new Engman driver's and passenger side aluminum foot boards.

Exterior: Custom fitted adjustable electric (heated) 944 mirrors have been color matched to car. A switch for selecting the mirror you want to adjust and new basket weave vinyl are on the dash. A 911 mirror adjustment switch is located on the driver’s door armrest in a convenient location.

A Sony CD/FM radio is installed with a Hirschman electric flat black antenna. A 75 watt stereo power amp is installed under the dash. New knobs where needed are used. The dash panel has a slight crack that can be fixed by a competent vinyl repair service or it can be replaced.

Car originally had Sparco PRO 2000 seats, which have since been swapped for 1989 Porsche 964 power leather seats. Includes TRW 5 point harnesses with TRW pads that are fine for use on the street.

All heater cables and switches were overhauled and adjusted and everything works - however the engine has headers and no heat exchangers.

Electric window washer motor operated via a mini switch in the turn signal arm in place of the pneumatic one that comes with the car.

Doors: The doors were removed from the car stripped and painted, sound deadening material was molded in place, the window mechanisms were cleaned and lubricated, the doors were cut for speakers, and a thick Mylar film was adhered to the interior side of the doors for moisture protection, Custom 911 style door panels are in place and the backs have been waterproofed. The doors close with authority and a thud, not like a typical 914 door slam. All hardware was restored and plated or replaced as required.

IPB Image

Headlights: Were completely restored including bushings where needed. The motors were checked, contacts cleaned, all mechanisms were cad plated and assembled with new bushings where needed. Hella Z-beam lights with up-rated blubs installed (higher wattage). Everything adjusted and assemblies are working fine.

Wheels and tires: The wheels are (real) Fuchs 7 & 8 x 16” and flawless (same as on 1979 930 Turbo Carrera). Polished lips with black centers, painted crest hubs with locks, locking wheel nuts The tires are hardly used Bridgestone SO-1’s.

The car needs the following:

Install engine, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch transmission. (All included)

Finish front oil cooler installation (fabricate cooler shroud, complete wiring for electric fans, connect braided lines).

Finish interior wiring (reconfigure dash gauge wiring for combo quad gauge, install new fuse panel, run power to electric seats, install new engine harness, wire in MSD box, wire in cooler fans, wire in fuel pump)

Paint front fiberglass bumper black.

Install new carpet

Complete and show quality other than that.

So to summarize, as you can imagine, there has been well over $35,000 spent on this car getting it to its present stage. I have receipts for the majority of those costs.

If you are truly interested in such a project I would be willing to part with it for $22,000.

If this is something you might be interested in please PM me and we can talk further.

Rob
mepstein
OMG! I know about what you paid for the roller from Rolland. $22K is a givaway price for a great car. One day I will learn the lesson to buy someone elses project.
Gridlock
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer! A couple of quick questions:

1) I don't see the video link you mentioned; did I miss it?
2) I'm curious why you are selling before completing it.

Just an FYI, one significant issue for me (aside from it not being completed), is that (although beautiful looking) comes with a carbureted rather than a FI engine.

- Stew
ChrisFoley
I'm getting ready to put up a classified ad for a nice GT flared conversion car with a carbed 3 liter.
The car is in Manchester, CT.
Email me at c.foley@tangerineracing.com and I'll forward pictures and info.
moparrob
QUOTE(Gridlock @ Jun 4 2013, 07:16 AM) *

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer! A couple of quick questions:

1) I don't see the video link you mentioned; did I miss it?
2) I'm curious why you are selling before completing it.

Just an FYI, one significant issue for me (aside from it not being completed), is that (although beautiful looking) comes with a carbureted rather than a FI engine.

- Stew

The video link I was referring to has been taken down, unfortunately. It was posted by the seller on You Tube but basically showed how nice the work was that was done to the car.

I'm considering selling it because I basically have hit a wall with respect to completing the project and really need access to a hoist to install the engine and finish the rest of the project to the same level that the car has been constructed. I'm too old to work on my back anymore, or just really don't care to is probably more accurate.

I also have been enjoying spending my free time riding my cycle in the beautiful So Cal mountains and haven't been motivated to finish the car for some reason.

I actually pulled off the 30 year old fuel injection system so that I could intentionally install the Webers. screwy.gif Very expensive to do, BTW.

In my opinion there is nothing like the sound of a set of carbs open under acceleration and I don't mind occasionally fiddling with them if needed. If I ever go with a FI setup it will be with PMO or Jenvey throttle bodies, Electromotive controllers, crank fire ignition etc. and that gets very pricey.

PM me if you have any further interest

Good luck

Rob
sixnotfour
eurotech bodywerks in Totem lake WA. did a bunch of work on this chassis, the rear tail panel I supplied after it rolled down the driveway....oops any way Mark could give you some insight about the tub...although its been awhile...seems like a good deal...
Cairo94507
That is a hell of a lot of fine car for an asking of $22K. I hope someone snaps it up quickly.
moparrob
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 4 2013, 07:00 PM) *

eurotech bodywerks in Totem lake WA. did a bunch of work on this chassis, the rear tail panel I supplied after it rolled down the driveway....oops any way Mark could give you some insight about the tub...although its been awhile...seems like a good deal...

Funny, small world - I guess you know Roland. Yeah, he told me it rolled backwards into a tree. Don't tell him I'm selling the car he'll be pissed...

I still have the receipts for the bodywork and repairs. They did excellent work. Mucho dinero spent by the prior owner.
larryM
QUOTE(moparrob @ Jun 3 2013, 11:41 PM) *

$22k
- Rob

agree.gif

HELLUVA DEAL

- THIS OFFER SERIOUSLY TESTS THE ENTIRE "VALUE" CONSTRUCT SURROUNDING THESE CARS

this will show us all if there is really any CASH out there, or if it's all just internet bravado wub.gif

(i.e. - "i'd be all over it if my dog hadn't just had a vet visit & my card is maxed")

?
moparrob
I have never deluded myself that any of the toys I bought or built were a value-based proposition. As a friend coined back in college "It is the cost of having fun".

One never really recoups the cost of a custom car build - which this is. My costs listed also value my (significant) time investment at zero - which is OK because I really enjoy the research and building as much as the driving.

The good news is that if someone does buy the car they will realize a significant discount and will get the car to the finish line, which is what it really deserves.
larryM

agreed - however, 914 forums are replete with "value proposition" personalities,

so we would seem to be in the minority

as my better half always reminds me, our cars are just an E-ticket at Disneyland

but anyone who spends 22K or 3X more on any 914, really has to LUST for the model; (a combination of nostalgia and irrational exuberance )

same money buys a helluva nice Miata, decent Boxster, or a credible 84-89 Carrera - same basic performance, and a better "cool factor" on the streets

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jun 4 2013, 09:54 PM) *

I have never deluded myself that any of the toys I bought or built were a value-based proposition. As a friend coined back in college "It is the cost of having fun".

One never really recoups the cost of a custom car build - which this is. My costs listed also value my (significant) time investment at zero - which is OK because I really enjoy the research and building as much as the driving.

carr914
QUOTE(larryM @ Jun 5 2013, 01:51 AM) *

but anyone who spends 22K or 3X more on any 914, really has to LUST for the model; (a combination of nostalgia and irrational exuberance )

same money buys a helluva nice Miata, decent Boxster, or a credible 84-89 Carrera - same basic performance, and a better "cool factor" on the streets

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jun 4 2013, 09:54 PM) *

But a Miata is Chick Car (and can be had for just a few grand), a Boxster, also a Chick Car with known engine problems with prices that are dropping like a rock, and a 84-89 Carrera (I've had a couple), nice car but nearly all of them have a bunch of miles on them, but still the prices are high to join the Whine & Cheese Crowd

And none of them have such a Cool Website to go hang with AssHats like we do! biggrin.gif
moparrob
Plus, I have been told by a /6 conversion owner that they are A LOT more fun and better handling than an old Carrera.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.