Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Tumbler Removal (How)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
I searched and read a bunch of threads on removing the ignition key tumbler (lock itself, not the switch).

My tumbler is missing the chrome top piece and I have another tumbler to use and or use for parts, but I'm unable to remove the dumb tumbler.

I saw many threads (and actually used the secrete release hole on the spare part)...

But I've not seen one that has like this trap door on it - which I assume once removed will make it obvious how the tumbler is held in.

Picture attached - if anyone knows how to get in there - (scratches are from me trying) without the obvious brute force method (or bigger hammer method)... that would be great help.

Thanks,

Len

Click to view attachment
lsintampa
before someone tells me there is a release hole in the case - front of the tumbler in a channel - I know that's how I got the "spare" lock out, but this case doesn't have that hole...

and no it isn't filled with dirt....

I realized that both cases have that trap door, so I'm really not sure how (without any release holes) I'm getting that lock out of the case

r_towle
Bend open the punch downs
914Sixer
IS that a 75-76 column ? If so it will have a black plastic cap, not chrome. You will need to drill a hole to release the lock assembly. The factory service manual covers where to drill. Perhaps some one can look it up and give you the details.
lsintampa
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 2 2013, 10:05 AM) *

IS that a 75-76 column ? If so it will have a black plastic cap, not chrome. You will need to drill a hole to release the lock assembly. The factory service manual covers where to drill. Perhaps some one can look it up and give you the details.

Yup, it is a 75.... forgot to mention that. So, I'm not going nuts then.

So Porsche thought - hey let's not put this hole here any more, so in case someone need a new lock we can sell them the whole car instead!!!

Yippee!!

sean_v8_914
push in the detent
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jun 2 2013, 09:15 AM) *

push in the detent

After you've drilled the hole ( in the right location ) there is a leaf spring inside.
Push in on the spring while pulling the lock cylinder out with the key.
The spring is barely visible in the above photo. It's in the shadow of the pointer.
lsintampa
Yup,

I drilled it right the first time... all is well in teensville

I used the broken "spare" to figure out where the hole needed to be drilled.

1/8" worked just fine.

Thanks all!

Len
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.