Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autox camshaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
r_towle
So,
A preface.
I do this for fun...if I happen to get a 5 dollar trophy...yippee.
This will be a toy that I co-drive with my kids.
So, the only competition will be my slow ass kids smile.gif
Till they demostrate how slow my reflexes have become.

Its time to push the car up to a trailered car for a while.
Flares are on, motor is built and running on carbs.
I know I left power on the table with the camshaft...
So, I want to swap it out...

I dont think Type4 will sell me anything smile.gif so please dont point at that solution.
I would rather learn a bit here, and make up my own mind..
Elgin and Webcam make several grinds that would work...
Again, this is for fun, so close enough will do.
Dont need to get into a pissing contest about it.

For a car that may spend the next five years on a trailer...but occasionally driven on the street...at least till I get bored and build another motor (or go six finally)

What camshaft would you suggest.
Heads are 46/38
Ported, polished and setup on a flow bench.

Not looking for a camshaft that requires me to keep the revs above 5k just to move the car...

Something modest, yet way better than stock.

I have mastered Djet and Ljet...so I am bored with them and I know the limitations.
This is a new path for me to push carbs, but I want a rational setup.

Rich
nolift914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2013, 09:21 AM) *

So,
A preface.
I do this for fun...if I happen to get a 5 dollar trophy...yippee.
This will be a toy that I co-drive with my kids.
So, the only competition will be my slow ass kids smile.gif
Till they demostrate how slow my reflexes have become.

Its time to push the car up to a trailered car for a while.
Flares are on, motor is built and running on carbs.
I know I left power on the table with the camshaft...
So, I want to swap it out...

I dont think Type4 will sell me anything smile.gif so please dont point at that solution.
I would rather learn a bit here, and make up my own mind..
Elgin and Webcam make several grinds that would work...
Again, this is for fun, so close enough will do.
Dont need to get into a pissing contest about it.

For a car that may spend the next five years on a trailer...but occasionally driven on the street...at least till I get bored and build another motor (or go six finally)

What camshaft would you suggest.
Heads are 46/38
Ported, polished and setup on a flow bench.

Not looking for a camshaft that requires me to keep the revs above 5k just to move the car...

Something modest, yet way better than stock.

I have mastered Djet and Ljet...so I am bored with them and I know the limitations.
This is a new path for me to push carbs, but I want a rational setup.

Rich

I don't have much info for you but my new 914 has a web 86c cam in it with 44/38 valves haven't driven it yet may have more info in the future. WEB cam website states its the most aggressive while still street able. Fat Performance may be worth a call on the matter.

Woody

I'm running an 86a if I remember correctly. I think its a great cam. Sounds like you have a bit more headwork than I do. I would say that the car is certainly drivable around town but really wakes up past 3500. With the 44 empi carbs it wants to pull to 7k.
koozy
I tried all kinds of stuff and at one point I decided to stop wasting money and do the -6 conversion. You will be glad ya did. In the -4 the cam change will do very little to the bottom line. It will just change the bandwidth at which point your power comes on. I don't know anyone who went with the -6 that said "heck, I shoulda just stuck with the -4". It is intoxicating and costs less than you think once you get started.
r_towle
QUOTE(koozy @ Jun 3 2013, 06:42 PM) *

I tried all kinds of stuff and at one point I decided to stop wasting money and do the -6 conversion. You will be glad ya did. In the -4 the cam change will do very little to the bottom line. It will just change the bandwidth at which point your power comes on. I don't know anyone who went with the -6 that said "heck, I shoulda just stuck with the -4". It is intoxicating and costs less than you think once you get started.

I have a 911, so I get it.

But, I love the type 4 motor.

Rich
koozy
Ah, I misunderstood the boredom you mentioned earlier. I thought it was the platform that had you searching for more but now I realize it is just the induction you were speaking of. Though the 911 is entirely different experience... a peaky, carbed, type 4 can be a kick in the pants. All the best in your search for the right cam.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 3 2013, 04:49 PM) *

I'm running an 86a if I remember correctly. I think its a great cam. Sounds like you have a bit more headwork than I do. I would say that the car is certainly drivable around town but really wakes up past 3500. With the 44 empi carbs it wants to pull to 7k.

agree.gif
86a is a great cam.
I got 124 whp (Dynojet) out of 1832 cc using stock dia valves and 40IDFs.
The hp curve was above 120hp from 5400-6600 rpm.
Very driveable but really comes alive above 3500 rpm as Woody says.
SirAndy
Stay away from anything that makes peak HP and peak torque at high rpm.
You'll have a hard time maintaining that sort of rpm on an AX course.

What you want is as much torque as possible at as low rpms as possible. The earlier it "really wakes up", the better ...

popcorn[1].gif
yeahmag
I just switched from a 494 to an 86a and love it. I haven't raced in this configuration yet, but ran the 494 for several years and won my class. The 86a in a 2056, 2L heads, 9.5:1 CR, and 4-1 headers is a rock star so far.

It will be on the track and at PCA OCR autocrosses again in July.
r_towle
163/86b looks very promising.

Rich
brant
the 4's have so much torque by design....
you can go pretty wild on the cam

I know a racer (best 914 driver I've ever met) that prefers the -4 over a 6 until about the 3.0 level...

his times prove it
his 2.2/4 (205hp) can out run all the -6's even up to above 250 - 300hp
the handling without the extra 150lbs makes the -4 better in the corners...

J P Stein
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 3 2013, 10:02 PM) *

I know a racer (best 914 driver I've ever met) that prefers the -4 over a 6 until about the 3.0 level...

his times prove it

bs.gif

You need to get out more. biggrin.gif
koozy
happy11.gif
brant
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 3 2013, 11:29 PM) *

his times prove it

bs.gif

the stop watch doesn't lie
r_towle
its not a 4 versus 6 discussion, I like the 4 for this car and at this time.

If and when my sons get better, we may upgrade.
Or, I can just tool around in this..
J P Stein
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 4 2013, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 3 2013, 11:29 PM) *

his times prove it

bs.gif

the stop watch doesn't lie

No it don't......but it does depend on who/what you're timing. Never seen/heard of a 4 pooper in the big dog classes of SCCA National Tour events where we used to run in the last 5-6 years or so .....those calsses would be E Mod, F Prepared, & X Prepared. There is a clue there.....one other 914 was at one or 2 of these...but it was a 6 and a multi time Parade AX winner who was ......ah....not sucessful. And yes, I've looked at all the SCCA NT and National Champion results for the last 5-6 years.....it's a dirty job for a 914 guy, but somebody's gotta do it. Randal has the quickest 4 pooper I've seen (and driven).......I think he has as much money in the motor as I had in my whole freakin' car....but I've been wrong before.
Joe Ricard
When I had the hopped up 2.0l I ran with a 86b +5 and fairly successful in the small local pond.

40IDF, ported heads and Tangerine exhaust.
Trekkor
How can I get a -4 to run up to 6500-7000rpm's safely?

I might have a type four powered car again...

KT
Randal
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jun 10 2013, 03:31 PM) *

KT

It's important to build the engine right by blueprinting the case, properly line boring it, balance the crank, balance the rods/pistons and anything else that moves, get the right cam/piston/head solution and the motor will live at 6500 (for long long time) but running over 7K just reduces the life.

I also like motors with lots of torque as you don't have to twist them as much, but guess it all depends if what venues you plan on running.

Also talk to Bill C. as he built a great 2.4., that really hauls the mail.

Isn't Mark still building motors right by you!

koozy

KT

In 746 or another car?
Trekkor
LeMons Bug

IPB Image

KT
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Jun 10 2013, 07:50 PM) *

KT

In 746 or another car?

Trekkor always finds a way to secure a great car at reasonable prices. Or he finds a way to build it himself.

Sounds like a 4 is coming his way, which is cool. With some solid mechanical assembly he could build a nice competitive 4 that would run the tracks at 6500-7000 RPM.

But putting that motor (4) together and making it last requires experience IMHO.

Not hard to slip in a 6 that starts the day out twice as powerful as a 4, but on the other hand it's sure is fun when you do put a 4 together that is competitive. biggrin.gif

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 10 2013, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(koozy @ Jun 10 2013, 07:50 PM) *

KT

In 746 or another car?

Trekkor always finds a way to secure a great car at reasonable prices. Or he finds a way to build it himself.

Sounds like a 4 is coming his way, which is cool. With some solid mechanical assembly he could build a nice competitive 4 that would run the tracks at 6500-7000 RPM.

But putting that motor (4) together and making it last requires experience IMHO.

Not hard to slip in a 6 that starts the day out twice as powerful as a 4, but on the other hand it's sure is fun when you do put a 4 together that is competitive. biggrin.gif

koozy
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 10 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Not hard to slip in a 6 that starts the day out twice as powerful as a 4

lol-2.gif

I can hear JP now. "If ya believe that, you need to get out more" ha ha ha
brant
Jason might chime in...
I think he has 5 seasons on his 2.0/4
and I think he hits 6-7K when he needs to on a road course
I think even higher if he has to......

I was really referencing wheel to wheel road course more than autox
the 2.2 with 205hp and lots of wins over -6 cars is a road racing car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.