Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hood pins.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I have seen 914's with two and some with four hood pins in the front trunk. How many would be recommended for a fiberglass front trunk lid? Can I get away with just two?
Cheers, Elliot
r_towle
one, a really wide one.
McMark
I wouldn't on my car. At the very least, four pins gives you redundancy.
Elliot Cannon
Awright! You guys are going to talk me out of it. laugh.gif
stugray
I have been waiting to ask the exact same question.

I have a fiberglass hood where the PO did a POS job of installing the hood pins.

I was going to fix the holes and put in four Aerocatch latches but I was waiting to decide where I wanted them before fixing the existing hood.

I have seen both 2-pin or 4-pin at the races with 2-pin being the most common.
Using the FG hood makes me tend towards 4-pin.

Stu
Elliot Cannon
I'm thinking maybe two of these but maybe not. I don't want anything silver looking what with all the "dzus" fasteners installed.
r_towle
If you just use the stock latch, is there some evidence of that letting go from a fiberglass hood?

Think about all the fiberglass kit cars....no hood pins there.

If you are keen on hardware, I would suggest you go back to your other passion and find some really cool looking airplane latches....and please document the install so we can steal your idea...and rag on you while yo do it.
shoguneagle
airplane latches are great but could be a little expensive and problem in installation. I like the racing pins with the appropriate metal backings underneath and on the exterior. I would use four when using the hinges; six if the lid is just placed on and secured by racing pins.

One thing that is a must is the modification of the fuel filler unit. I really like the hood fuel unit to be opened with a lid covering the filler cap and and aluminum filler cap/drain scupper/filler tube.

Everything done right; really looks cool!!!

Steve
URY914
I use 4. The two in the front are typical aluminum pins.

Click to view attachment
URY914
The two in the rear of the hood are these slider type...

Click to view attachment
URY914
Here is the pin. It's threaded to adjust the height. The rubber hose is cut so the pin's hole is at the position to the hood. This way the bracket doesn't have to perfectly placed when you weld it in on.

Click to view attachment
Mugs914
Three seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the fiberglass out of yer face...

Headlight covers probably help too! shades.gif
racerbvd
As many as ya want piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 7 2013, 07:23 PM) *

I use 4. The two in the front are typical aluminum pins.

Click to view attachment

The pins on that car look awfully heavy. happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2013, 05:13 PM) *

If you just use the stock latch, is there some evidence of that letting go from a fiberglass hood?

Think about all the fiberglass kit cars....no hood pins there.

If you are keen on hardware, I would suggest you go back to your other passion and find some really cool looking airplane latches....and please document the install so we can steal your idea...and rag on you while yo do it.

The FG hood is about 1/3 the weight of the stock hood and might flex just a bit more than the steel one. Having said all this about hood latches, I'm really loathe to drill any holes in my new hood (wasn't cheap). I think I'll use the stock latch with some sort of safety lanyard in case it decides it doesn't want to stay latched.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.