Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tank nipple plug for carbed teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
Since we only use one of the nipples on the tank, i wanted to see how others have plugged the one not in use, but not permanently on the tank (just in case)

I was thinking of getting a small circle of steel or alum and JB welding it inside the original aluminum nut that i would then screw on....

Whats your take?!
r_towle
Hole saw to make the piece.
Two rubber washers

In hindsight, a coin might fit also.
The metal is just to push against the rubber washers.

Bring the nut to the plumbing department...find a washer that is a bit bigger, cut with scissors.

Done
mrbubblehead
i screwed an AN fitting on with an AN cap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dfelz @ Jun 7 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Whats your take?!

When i had my carbed 2056, i simply plugged the return line in the engine compartment.

Really no need to fiddle with the tank.
popcorn[1].gif
FL000
I used a piece of 5/16 hose, a bolt with a smooth shank (cut off threads) and 2 hose clamps.
toolguy
punch out a circle from lead sheet
euro911
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Jun 7 2013, 06:15 PM) *
I used a piece of 5/16 hose, a bolt with a smooth shank (cut off threads) and 2 hose clamps.
Ditto (under the fuel tank).
unicyclerman
I used an AN fitting capped off also. Wasn't too much either. not sure how common the tank fitting is but if you contact bonaco performance fittings in upland ca they can help you out. They custom make all their stuff And have the track fittings on hand.
unicyclerman
Here's a picClick to view attachment
michael7810
I used a round metal piece and rubber washer. I also used the return fitting for the supply line so I didn't need to reduce the hose to match up with the 8mm stainless lines from Chris.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
the shouldered bolt (so you're not clamping threads), short piece of proper hose and the 2 clamp method. use the stock fuel line clamps, not the slotted type. easy to undo if you ever need to. besides, it's cheap! you prob have the bolt and clamps you need in the coffee can full of used fasteners.

k
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 8 2013, 09:47 AM) *

the shouldered bolt (so you're not clamping threads), short piece of proper hose and the 2 clamp method. use the stock fuel line clamps, not the slotted type. easy to undo if you ever need to. besides, it's cheap! you prob have the bolt and clamps you need in the coffee can full of used fasteners.

k

...And it gives you and easy, clean way of emptying the gas tank if you ever need to pull it. shades.gif
Krieger
agree.gif That is exactly what I did. I put about 16" of line on it so I could easily reach up and pull it out through the opening to drain. My thinking was if the car sat too long and the fuel got crappy I could get rid of the fuel.
dfelz
Thanks for the responses guys! All very good ideas. I do like the thought of being able to easily drain the tank if need be and having the plugged line would do that well. I will probably go that route. thanks for the pics too!

Michael, i too have the SS line from chris and was going to swap on the smaller connection tube.
TheCabinetmaker
Hooking the supply line to the return nipple will lose your first defense against crude clogging your filter, trashing your pump, clogging your jets ,or worse, entering the combustion chamber.
michael7810
I installed the smaller tube on the supply side and still use the original location with filter sock.
dfelz
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 8 2013, 06:13 PM) *

Hooking the supply line to the return nipple will lose your first defense against crude clogging your filter, trashing your pump, clogging your jets ,or worse, entering the combustion chamber.

I didnt quite explain it correctly then, i believe this is what Michael did too, but, what I am doing is taking the stem out of the original return line and moving just the stem over to the feed nipple, which has the filter stock on it that you speak of. So still using the supply location, as you correctly suggested, just swapping the stems for fitment purposes, since the original stem on the supply is larger and would have to reduce the fuel line via another fitting to fit onto the 8mm SS line correctly. Does that make sense?
TheCabinetmaker
Absolutely. Thanks. Actually,very good idea. I've never changed a car to carbs, just the other way round.
michael7810
Correct, I moved the small diameter stem to the original fuel supply fitting. If you're installing a new pump, make sure you remove the plastic cap from the fuel pump BEFORE installing the fuel hose. I didn't the the cap got jammed inside the rubber fuel hose. Fortunately for me I cut the fuel hose too short and had to replace it before before trying to start the car.
Harpo
Perfect timing,

I'm just about to hook up my new fuel pump to my new SS fuel lines from Chris. I was dreading having to struggle to get the larger gas tank nipple on to the smaller rubber fuel lines.

Thanks

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.