Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 or Shelby
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
Ok so back in the late 80's and early '90's I went thru a phase where I was restoring a classic Mustang a year and flipping them for a small profit. Been playing with 914's and 944's since about '95. I now have the opp. to restore an original Shelby. I know the owner and he has had it since new and is looking to thin his stables. He also bought the last Mustang I did from me as a gift for his wife, a beautiful '68 GT convertible. Took me 3 years of work to build that out and get it to the point were I was happy with it. I'm really really tempted.

If I do this I would have to get rid of all my 914 stuff, or the wife. I like the wife, she keeps me happy and grounded to reality. She is more on board with the Shelby then the teeners because she and the girls can fit in it. But there is no pressure from her, nope none at all. Gee my couch is comfy.

This is a really tough decision. Crap. What would you do?

My best,
Mike D.
scotty914
this is really a stupid question

both

hers and yours

she cant expect you to give up on your car for her
Sparky
Nah she put her foot down and said one or the other. I foolishly pointed that I had two 914's if she counted the shell I was working on. If I do the Shelby all the p-car stuff has to go.

Damn she can be tought when she wants to be.

My best,
Mike D.
STL914
Mike,

I would think that an original Shelby, fully restored, would be worth quite a bit more than your 914, unless it's an original 6.

What year Shelby are you loking at and what is the asking price in its current condition. Soft-top? My personal favorite was the 68 fastback model.

Years ago, I had a chance to buy a fully restored 65 convertable as my daily driver. Wife convinced me to keep
my Ecsort diesel wagon because of the great fuel mileage.. headbang.gif

914s are great cars to drive and are, by design, unique, but Shelbys are far and few between.

Well, since you asked, my opinion is to go for the Shelby
and get your wife to help with the restoration.
redshift
Well, I'd fix the Shelby, I used to do that too.

G'luck, with the Shelby!

smile.gif

M
skline
agree.gif I have to agree, I would take the shelby also. I just cant get Elinore out of my head, what a beautiful car.
kermit
Totally do the Shelby (and keep the wife).

914s are great little cars, and we are obviously really passionate about them and all, but come on...... no brainer.

You can always pick up some POS 914 for a couple grand.
Brett W
Sell the wife, you can get another one. wink.gif
Scott S
I had a 66 GT 350H with a factory Paxton super charger. It was done in the Hertz Black with gold stripes. I bought it from the second owner. The car was fully restored in the late 80's. 15k miles and not quite 10 years later it still looked awesome. It got a ton of attention, but was no where near as fun as the 914.

Here is my opinion:
Investment wise - do the mustang. Fun factor - stay with the 914.

You have to be pleased - it's nice to have options! The below pic is identical, less it's missing Hertz license plate frame
Meredith
Take the Shelby and donate the 914 to me. You could get a tax write-off for donating to the Meredith Organization. Really. You can.

But seriously, the Shelby all the way.
boxstr
Mike I'll buy the Shelby, and when you come out to Oregon you can drive it as much as you want.
CCLINSHELBYOWNERSCLUBOFAMERICA
tod914
Unless you have a 916 or a GT.... Shelby!!!
MattR
Is the shelby a GT350 or GT500?

(go shelby)
rick 918-S
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 29 2004, 09:08 PM)
Mike I'll buy the Shelby, and when you come out to Oregon you can drive it as much as you want.
CCLINSHELBYOWNERSCLUBOFAMERICA

Tell you wife to mind her own business. happy11.gif What could she buy and make as much money as a good deal on a rare Shelby? "Oh honey I bought a rare tea set..." cool_shades.gif lol2.gif

Guys have cars. That what we do. Sometimes we make money on them sometimes we just need to have it! Keep them all. Don't sell anything until it's time not because your forced to. If your dumping the 914's and stuff fast you'll take a serious hit.
If your spending the kids collage fund to buy the shelby that would still be a good idea these days. Sit on it for a couple of years and you'll still make more than the stock market has produced the last few years.
scotty914
personally i think she can go drive the shelby off a cliff, she wants it for her reasons and she ( to me ) does not care what you want. fine get rid of the shell and the pile oh parts. sell em to us and i would sell any parts back to you at what i paid for em when you need em, and then get the selby. JUST KEEP YOUR CAR but for her to make you get rid of what you want for what she wants is wrong and selfish. i would rather see you sell all of it and take her on a cruise and blow the money. then you both get to enjoy it.

btw scottstoolwench is reading this she said its wrong but she thinks i am being harsh to your wife, but she would never make me get rid of hiede ( misspelled on purpose )

as i said get both
rjkavanagh
As much as I love driving the 914, I have to agree go with the Shelby. Just as a side note, this is the second thread I've seen in the last couple of weeks that has tied together 914's and classic Fords.
nine14cats
agree.gif Shelby...... biggrin.gif
Andyrew
No substitute for cubic inches, cept forced induction....

I love mustangs, and I'd say pick up the shelby... You'll have a heck of a lot better time driving that around than the 914.... when its done...

think of it as...

If I put ____ amount of money into the 914, I could sell it for ____ and have ____ amount of fun doing it..

If I put ____ amount of money into the shelby, I could sell if for ____ and have ____ amount of fun doing it..

It was either a mustang or a 914 for my first car... I picked the 914..
markb
Get the Shelby. Put the 914 up for sale. Have a real hard time selling the 914, until she gives in and lets you keep both. Push comes to shove, keep the Shelby. Just my .02
SP9146
If it's the GT500 I'd stay with the 914. The GT350 however makes it a really tough decision. That got me thinking about the new Mustang, I like it.

It's combined the best of the first 3 generations... 65-66 rear quarter windows, 69 front and rear ends, 67-68 dashboard. Too bad Ford makes you buy the expensive Cobra to get IRS.
Jeroen
I have to agree with Rick. A man can never have too many cars biggrin.gif

But if you have to choose... just think about what you wanna do.

Be a poser, sitting at the trafficlight going "vrrrooomm vrrrroooommmm" in your bling-machine

Or be a man and carve up some nice twisties driving.gif

That is, unless Angelina Jolie wub.gif comes with the "Eleanor" Shelby.
I which case I'd dump the wife AND keep the 914s (win - win situation) happy11.gif

Hey a guy can dream, can't he laugh.gif
crash914
Isn't your 914 a "rare, custom, one of a kind, hand made" classic car....price it as such....just look at the "AA" ads, bet you could get 17K or 25K easy!!! wink.gif
Sparky
It's probably a good thing my wife doesn't check the posts that often! For the record she does enjoy the teener with me but would enjoy it even more if the whole family can play together.

This was a race prepped Shelby GT350 with the proper camber wedges to make it handle the twisties just fine. I'm seriously torn between the two. It's been a tough year in that since buying this new house I've almost had to sell all of my toys, guitar stuff included to do work after a chimney fire. I muscled the insurance company into paying up so nothing had to go. I had already decided that atleast one of the teeners was going anyways. My black '72. The shell was going to be converted to a 6 utilizing some of the funds from the sale of the '72.

Still considering it. The sale offer of the Shelby has only been extended to me, for now. He isn't in a hurry so I have time to ponder it. I'm taking the '72 out this weekend if the weather is nice and running out to Cape Cod. Who knows maybe that will somehow seal my decision.

My best,
Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.