Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 in Carbon Fiber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
Yep...
Just took on the engine job tonight!

Its a 2615cc EFI Turbo using my new heads and a set of Nickies and no budget!

Lookin for 400 ponies....

The entire car weighs 1300 pounds and is based on a full tube chassis, all covered with correct 914 body panels in Carbon Fiber/Kevlar with a Black and Yellow weave.... the suspension is also amazing and looks like an ALMS car with massive ducting and incredible brakes.

The guuy is a composites engineer and has made all the panels himself.

To answer your question- He won't sell other parts or make them! I already tried that one with him!

He also won't allow me to post the pics, but man is it amazing looking. He is building the car for someones collection, but he won't tell me who........

Wild stuff! Lookin for 400 ponies! This one will bring some developments to light that no one else has been willing to pony up the bucks for!
Jeroen
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
newdeal2
Sounds like Max.
Jake Raby
All I know is that his credit card didn't decline a 10,000 deposit!

Like I said, he and I agreed that no pics were to be shared. the only reason he shared them with me was because I refused to do the job unless he proved to me this was what it was going in. I doubted it right up till i saw it myself.

The body looks 1005 stock, except the reard deck is a little more curve than a stock teener. It also has a retractable roof section instead of a Targa top.

BTW, He says that its running a Tiptronic trans, but I have seen no pics there. He is supplying me with a special flexplate/flywheel for the job so I'd think that its going tippy.....

and yes.... He is a 914 club member, but is a lurker....
Trekkor
O.K. everyone, it's my car.
Jake, I changed my mind, go ahead and post my pics. chairfall.gif

KT

( i hope this works...) cool_shades.gif
Jake Raby
Nice try...
Brett W
With that kinda green why bother with a four cylinder. Call Porsche up and tell them you want a spare Carrera GT motor.

I know Jake, you can shoot me now. Hey where is our flame suit/body armor emoticon?
Brett W
Who is the lurker here, the owner of the car or the builder of the car?
DrifterJay
here it is wink.gif
skline
What a tease Jake, this is cruel and unusual punishment. Tell us about it and then not post any pictures? Its like giving a kid a key to a candy store and then removing all the inventory. <_<
URY914
Full tube frame with 914 body?

If I was building a full tube frame why put a 914 body on it?
Leave it open so you can see Jake's engine.
machina
Sorry Paul,

Looks like your going to have to change your avatar quote sad.gif

"Building the lightest 914 in the history of mankind."
URY914
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Dec 1 2004, 05:10 AM)
Sorry Paul,

Looks like your going to have to change your avatar quote sad.gif

"Building the lightest 914 in the history of mankind."

Is it a 914 if it never was a 914 to start with? wacko.gif
Jake Raby
I don't tell guys not to go forward with their projects, no matter how crazy... Not even the guy that made a 5 wheeled, Amphibious flying car with telescopic wings in a Canard layout!

I built his 200HP engine thinking he was insane the entire time and that the project wasn't real. Six months later he shows up at the local airport and calls me up.

I have no idea why the car is being built and don't need to. My hunch on this one is that he is doing all the work himself and its just a meatter of buyine materials that in raw form aren't bad money wise.

BTW, I guess I should not have posted this because he scolded me already, but he only said I couldn't show pics- he said nuttin about a post....

Sorry dude...
balljoint
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
drooley.gif

Admins please delete this thread unless pictures are posted.

biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Delete it if you want...
balljoint
No seriously, sounds neat, don't delete, two questions.

1. Will there ever be pictures posted or is this gonna be a secret forever?

2. Is a full tube frame or any tubing at all considered street legal? For crash safety etc?
machina
OK, its me. mueba.gif
URY914
I knew it was you. biggrin.gif
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 1 2004, 10:51 AM)
I knew it was you. biggrin.gif

Don't worry,

I'll make sure it weighs 1,528 lbs.
Mueller
If I was building a full tube frame why put a 914 body on it?

I think we* should be happy that someone is spending the time and money to make what they believe is going to be a modern high tech version of a 914. To me he is paying homage to a very well designed car at it's time and making it better.

Why pick it? To me, any other body such as a copy of a Ferrari or Lambo screams "Kit Car"....when the parts and donor vehicle cost way less than the real deal, it's normally due to the owner not being able to afford the genuine article, so that is when the "kit car" comes into play.

Obviously, this "914" is going to cost way more than your average 914...heck, running 914s can be bought all day long for a couple grand

Sure, he could have designed his own body and made it look like nothing else, but these days, there is no real exclusivity by having a "one-off" that no one is going to recognize....

I also like that he is using the /4 motor, it would be easy to cop out and use a /6, but if Jake is right on his hp predictions, it sounds like the /4 will be the better choice when it come down to hp per dollar spent on the engine

*914 owners and admirers of all things 914

hope all this makes some sense, just woke up, no coffee yet
wacko.gif
machina
Also, the TIV will be lighter even with the turbo plumbing. Judging by the project specs, sounds like weight is a primary concern.
Jake Raby
He plans on showing the car at a major Porsche event as long as the person he is building it for allows it.

From what I can tell the guy that owns it could care less what other people think about the car, he is not building it for them, but he is for himself..

When I found out that he had a private jet with a runway behind his house I knew this guy wasn't normal..

FYI- He also owns a 959 boldblue.gif
machina
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 1 2004, 11:46 AM)

You mean a water-cooled car? Yuk.
Jake Raby
Yeah- Thats the same thing I said.....
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 1 2004, 11:46 AM)
When I found out that he had a private jet with a runway behind his house I knew this guy wasn't normal..

Given this information, it should not be too difficult to deduce who this mystery lurker is....
Brett W
With all due respect to a persons privacy, but if you have the skills to build such an automobile you should share your knowledge with others. On this an many other forums there are people that have no business sharing their secrets but they do, because there are NO SECRETS.

Thanks to Larry Widmer, Jake Raby, Brad Roberts, Kevin Groot, Chris Foley, Darrin Morgan, David Finch, Roger Sheridan, David Ferguson, Don Araki, Wayne Baker, Tommy Andrews, etc. I can't even begin to name all of the people that have shared their knowledge with me and others. Yes I understand information is hard earned sometimes, but information is no good if you can't share it with others so that more information can be spread. Knowledge is power.
Sammy
Somebody should tell him you can't turbo a type 4 wink.gif wacko.gif
Watch out everybody, I'm on a roll today.
URY914
How about some c/f pistons?
airsix
I get a kick out of you coming down on this guy for not sharing. Like he owes you anything?

-Ben M.
machina
There are alot of reasons why the guy wants his privacy. Maybe he is a known person (celeb).

Also, when doing a car like this, part of the appeal is waitng till it is done to show the car and choosing where and when the car is shown.

Whatever it is, I'll bet we get to see it sooner or later.
Jake Raby
I don't even know who the owner of the car is... The guy thats building it for him is just an individual, not a shop.

Alot of my customers ask me not to use pics of their engine or car on my site. Some of them are really neat like a 356 I did a TIV for last year that ran in the Carrera Panamerica this year and did VERY well. I'd love to be able to boast about it but some people don't want me too.
balljoint
Maybe he used to be in a show about nothing. ohmy.gif
airsix
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 1 2004, 10:49 AM)
Maybe he used to be in a show about nothing.   ohmy.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that. wink.gif

ps - now on DVD.
carambola
don't care who they are, and let them enjoy their privacy. we will all get to see the car eventually. but a big THANK YOU for investing in the 914 society.
Jake Raby
I hear that! Finally a 914 owner that will spend some damn money!!! LOL
redshift
oh my god you did not just say that!

mad.gif

heh

M
newdeal2
Hmmm...what would Jack Rousch say about "privacy"

I am not sure I understand all of this "secrecy" I thinks it just a way to get more interest and attention [imho].

No offence Jake wink.gif
Jake Raby
Jesus!
All I was trying to do is let you guys know that there are some really cool things being done...
Now I'm getting accused of making up crap to stir attention because I won't share a pic that I was asked not to share!
URY914
I believe you, Jake. I'm on your side.

(the rest of need to realize the last person you want mad at you is your engine builder, he can do things to you that will take you a long to to find out about.) biggrin.gif wink.gif happy11.gif
Brett W
This guy doesn't "owe" me shit. I just don't think all this hokey pokey secrecy crap is necessary. So he has a cool car, yah for him. A tube frame 914 is nothing new. Carbon body work is nothing new. A turbo 914 is nothing new. Yes he is giong to be doing some pretty cool stuff, yes it will cost more money than I have right now. So? It is not like he is hiding some championship race winning car. This car will live in some rich guy's garage and never get driven the way it should. Seems to be a trend among the ultra rich. So what? Not my money and not my problem.

Sharing information is what makes this forum such a great place. Because you guys can watch a National Championship race car go together and learn about the work that goes into a full blown 914-6 restoration, this is a great place to hang out.

I have talked with IMSA, SCCA, Winston Cup, and NHRA professional drivers, engine builders, chassis and suspension guys, fabricators, etc. Most all of the ones I have dealt with have been more than happy to share what info they have.
newdeal2
Jake, it's all in good fun.

I know now that I'm almost fifty...it took me a while. wink.gif

btw..I think Jesus would agree!
a9146luvr
ask him to at least guarantee us an exclusive at the debut, ok?
newdeal2
Just to explain the Rousch comment. I did some work for TK when he was driving for him and I had the pleasure of hanging out in the paddock. They would keep the rear end of the car under a cover at all times pre race so know one would know their "secret". Well ,it appears too many teams were too busy trying to figure the secret out when they should have been focused on their own development.

The rest is history.
Jake Raby
One of my friends is a foreman at a top NASCAR engine shop very close to my shop. They moved in and bought 200 acres and built the shop right in the middle of it. They baffled the dynos so quiet you never knew they were there....

As soon as the word got around they were screwed and now have a fence all around and an armed guard at a gate house.....

They don't share anything, I used to get some info on certain things but he only shares cam stuff with me now and a bit on oils and pressures and thats about it. BTW i have known this guy for 15 years to boot....

But they are playing for millions and not working on 30-40 year old engines for enthusiasts.....Although they do build a mean ass Superformance engine for the Cobra replica guys- I saw one make 700 streetable HP on their dyno 2 years ago!

Right up the road from them is Barry Grant's carb shop- Its a great team effort! they are all back in the woods just like me!
Eric_Shea
959... that's one of those fuched up 6 cylinder thingies isn't it Jake? confused24.gif
Jake Raby
I think so....

I quit counting after 914....... Thats the last porscheee they ever made.... LOL
redshift
You guys want me to draw a picture of the car Jake can't show us?

M
914forme
A 959 one of the most signicant Porsche ever tech spec follow I would have one in my garage parked next ot a 914 oh course. It is no slouch of a car even by todays standards. Us version where a 1987 model year.

Specifications
Engine:

Horizontally opposed 6 cylinder, 24-valve DOHC aluminum block and water-cooled heads
Bore and stroke: 3.74" x 2.64"
Displacement:174 cu.in. or 2849cc
Max boost pressure: 14.0 psi
Horsepower: 450@6,500 rpm
Power to weight ratio: 6.6 lbs per horsepower
Compression ratio: 8.3:1
Cd: .31
Fuel system: Bosch Motronic
Induction: Twin sequential turbocharging

Drivetrain:
6 speed electronically controlled 4wd with 4 settings

Suspension:

Electronically adjustable independent f/r with upper and lower A arms, hydraulic shocks, anti-roll bar/coil.

Body:

Kevlar and aluminum

Dimensions:

Curb weight: 2,917 lbs
Wheelbase: 89.4"
Length: 167.7"
Width: 72.4"
Height: 47.2"

Brakes and Wheels:

ABS, power assisted, vented, cross drilled disks
17x8.0" front,17x9.0" rear cast magnesium wheels with pressure sensors to detect hairline cracks

Fuel Economy:

13 mpg

Performance:

0-60mph: 3.6 seconds (US version: 3.5s)
0-100: 8.3
0-125: 12.7
0-140: 19.0
0-1/4 mile: 11.8s @119 mph
Top Speed: 198++ mph
Brando
Some of us can imagine.

I think this dream car for a wealthy owner will be worth every thousand-dollars they spend on it.

959... the $1m porsche that had in the 80s what every Porsche has from 2000 on smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.