Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mario Nicola
Hey Guys.

I just bought a new 1972 Porsche 914 1.7L, the Previous owner let it sit for 2-3 years in storage... The Car looks great but isn't running very well, I cant get it above 50mph and its a struggle to get it up to that speed. I have swapped out the plugs, plug wires and air filter and put some new Gas and fuel injector cleaner in the tank but the problem still continue... I was thinking its time to replace the fuel injectors next... any suggestions or has anybody else run into the same problems with there 914's.

Thanks

Mario
914itis
You will need to post more info about the car. Engine size , fuel injection, carbs, etc. welcome.png
Steve
You should post this in the garage for more feedback. This is the classifieds.
JeffBowlsby
The distributor weights need a drop of 30 wt oil every year to keep them lubed. If they are binding, that could cause your conditions...

They are oiled by putting a drop of oil in the hollow center of the distributor shaft, after removing the rotor.
Mario Nicola
Thanks for the Feedback I will repost in the garage section, as you can tell I'm new to the 914, as well as 914world.com

Thanks again.

M
etcmss
not knowing what this car has been through in repairs , is it limited in range by the accelerator?
is the supply and return gas line connections swapped?
I had this happen a long while ago and its a thought.
Gary
Elcid
QUOTE(etcmss @ Jun 25 2013, 02:00 AM) *

not knowing what this car has been through in repairs , is it limited in range by the accelerator?
is the supply and return gas line connections swapped?
I had this happen a long while ago and its a thought.
Gary

Start with the simple stuff;

1. Did you drain fuel tank?
2. Try replacing fuel filter.
3. Try changing the fuel relays ( I had a bad one cause similar issue)
4. Check fuel pump pressure
5. Of course do a "tune up" points, cap, rotor.

get a copy of 914 tips from Automobile Atlanta.....have fun
TheCabinetmaker
So we now have 2 of these threads? did you ever respond to the first one?
gunny
Don't buy new injectors, send them to "Mr. Injector" for cleaning.

I just mailed mine last week on Monday night and got them back on Saturday(Alabama to Idaho bact to Alabama). $16 per injector + shipping. I had rough Idol, and not very smooth power. Now Idol is smooth and noticable power improvement. biggrin.gif

Mr. Injector flow tests the injectors then replaces the soft parts (screen, ect) sconic cleans them them flow tests them again then cleans the exterior. You get a report showing the following:
resistance of coils
initial flow rate (cc's per 15 min)
initial flow patern (good, fair, poor)
finial flow rate (cc's per 15 min)
finial flow patern (good, fair, poor)

My initial flow was 110, 103, 105, 97
My initial flow patern was G, F, G, F
My finial flow rate 110, 110, 110, 110 very good balance
My finial flow patern G, G, G, G

He also provided both large and small gromets, new 3"hose with clamp.
I highly reccomend if you car has set up for a long time or during rebuild of motor.
It was money well spent. beerchug.gif
76-914
welcome.png
worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 25 2013, 11:15 AM) *

welcome.png

I had the same experience. My car had been owned by the wife of an NFL player and she must not have liked it. 19 year old tires with new nubs?

Anyway, it helps to be systematic. To do this yourself you will unfortunately have to understand how the fuel injection system works and then whether it is working. As an example, during my trip home with the little fellow the fuel pressure regulator was stuck open from disuse and was feed three times too much fuel into the engine. Look at the Rennlist tech articles for that and here as well. The vacuum hoses have to all seal and the components have to all work. It is disjointed but George Husseys 700 tips book is actually not bad.

The spark is pretty simple if you are used to the era of points. Still new wires and plugs, cap and rotor won't set you back too far. Some of the connectors for the plugs require you to remove the little aluminum top from the spark plug, but the newer ones do not.

This board has some working mechanics answering questions so the quality of advice is high. You are at the right place. Also, you bought a cool car.
Ian Stott
Congrats on your "new" teener, do all the free stuff first, clean everything the best you can. Read up on cleaning your fuel sock, check your inline fuel filter and how old is the gas?? This is a good start, knowing your fuel is clean, fresh and getting to the injectors unrestricted should be done before you touch your injectors. Clean and gap your plugs, check your air filter, try her again. The more you run it the better it will work. If still crappy then go deeper, great people here with way more knowledge than me, but sometimes looking after basic maintenance will cure a lot of problems.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
green914
welcome.png
mepstein
QUOTE(gunny @ Jun 25 2013, 08:48 AM) *

Don't buy new injectors, send them to "Mr. Injector" for cleaning.

I just mailed mine last week on Monday night and got them back on Saturday(Alabama to Idaho bact to Alabama). $16 per injector + shipping. I had rough Idol, and not very smooth power. Now Idol is smooth and noticable power improvement. biggrin.gif

Mr. Injector flow tests the injectors then replaces the soft parts (screen, ect) sconic cleans them them flow tests them again then cleans the exterior. You get a report showing the following:
resistance of coils
initial flow rate (cc's per 15 min)
initial flow patern (good, fair, poor)
finial flow rate (cc's per 15 min)
finial flow patern (good, fair, poor)

My initial flow was 110, 103, 105, 97
My initial flow patern was G, F, G, F
My finial flow rate 110, 110, 110, 110 very good balance
My finial flow patern G, G, G, G

He also provided both large and small gromets, new 3"hose with clamp.
I highly reccomend if you car has set up for a long time or during rebuild of motor.
It was money well spent. beerchug.gif

agree.gif He did mine. Very happy with his service. I will be sending him my 911 injectors to service.
L-Jet914
I agree with everyone else so far in terms of what to check. Also check for vacuum leaks. I switched my points to Petronix, though I have a set of points as a back up.
welcome.png
tweet
Welcome piratenanner.gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png agree.gif welcome.png agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.