Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: breather box vs. catch can
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
does it matter?

i was either going to do a standard 3-port bugpack type box,

or tee everything off to a quart-sized catch can with mini filter.

what are the pros/cons for each?

i've heard that once oil leaves the heads to a breather box it should be considered dirty and not reused.

in either case, i'd prefer not to modify the carbs for vaccuum fittings.
Jake Raby
Call CSP and order their 1.8L unit. All the rest are Cjhinese toys. This one actually has enough volume to control a puke and drain it back to the case- and its baffled inside so you can run it to the carbs if you want..
nebreitling
thanks jake. how would you plumb this (with 6 ports)? each head high to either side, drain to oil filler low, and block off the unused ports?
nebreitling
looks cool

IPB Image

"High polished breather box with six 1/2' tube fittings.
1-1/2-gal capacity.
Baffled to stop oil slosh."

clickhere
Aaron Cox
58 euros wacko.gif
nebreitling
not too bad at all (although the exhange rate SUCKS) -- considering that aircooled.net is selling their race-model breathers at $190.
Aaron Cox
nothing wrong with my 20 buck bugpack breather... cool aluymium mount i made... mounts it to the rear of the case...also holds fuel lines biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
CSP has a US agent... 626 445 0108

His name is william, tell him I sent you.
nebreitling
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 1 2004, 12:07 PM)
mounts it to the rear of the case...

i thought you needed to elevate the box (excuse me, i mean "chinese toy"!) for proper drainage and avoidance of oil pooling in the lines
Aaron Cox
its above the heads..... so it drains back into the heads...
JmuRiz
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2004, 11:46 AM)
thanks jake. how would you plumb this (with 6 ports)? each head high to either side, drain to oil filler low, and block off the unused ports?

Cool, so you just need to use 3 of the ports? I just got a CB style one and was wondering if I needed to run the 4th port to a catch can/bottle or something. Just going to mount it to the firewall. Hell I could make a little baffle in mine if I wanted, easy enough to take apart, has a screen and foam in there now. Thanks for any tips on connections etc. BTW got it for $20 biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.