Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbed 914-sixes are very quiet!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...6&category=6390

You think the 914 is loud with a 3.0L carbed six on the other side of the firewall?!... How about a 28.02 liter (yeah, I did the math) P-51 aircraft engine and NO firewall!

Someone had way too much time, a case of Pabst Blue Ribbin, and a welder on their hands! beer.gif

This will be my next project. Stuff one of these into the teener. All I'd have to do is cut the firewall out, the trunk out and the front trunk out. I could straddle the baby.... yeah, that's it!

So this would make it a 914-12 28.02 driving.gif Try and fit that emblem on the back of your teener!
vortrex
hahaha!

did you see letterman two nights ago? jesse james was on. he took a NYC hotdog cart and built it into a 1250HP dragster. they closed down the street outside the theater and he made a run with it. biggrin.gif
Curvie Roadlover
OMG wacko.gif
72Signal914
If that guy was drinking blue ribbon beer.gif then I'm not surprised at the concoction he made. I posted on there that I was going to Photoshop that engine in the 914 and see what it would look like. If not that engine another V12 engine
airsix
I wonder what the reserve is. The motor alone is probably worth at least $50k. That's just a guess, but I do know that a typical overhaul on that motor is $50,000 (which aint bad considering that includes 800 hours of labor!)

I hope someone buys it and puts it back in a bird. To many will never fly again. One less Opel doesn't bother me as much. wink.gif

-Ben M.
Qarl
I guess.... in addition to too much time, the welder, and the Pabst, somone obviously had a P-51 V12 on their hands as well.

That's a common junkyard item, right? Go down to the local pick and pull and ask if they have any 1710 cubic inch engines lying around. Say what?

Think about the crank on that mother!

Regards,
campbellcj
I can personally vouch for how LOUD those mofo's are. They take off right outside my office window sometimes. The average Cessna or Piper single-prop sounds like a housefly in comparison.
72Signal914
No wonder the interior is red, to cover up the blood stains coming from the ears
Bleyseng
In Seattle they used those motors in Hydroplanes ie: Slo-Mo-Shun, Miss Thriftway, HawaiiKai, Bardahl, Pay & Pak until the Turbine came along. Loud as hell!!! but a sound that matches the 911 six engine sound. They used to go 200+mph on Lake Washington and lots of guys died.
Geoff
72Signal914
Well....that was pleasant to hear <_<
GWN7
I've heard of this conversion, but never seen any pictures till now.

Now all I need to see is the pictures of the Impalla with the booster rocket attached before it hit the wall 200 feet above the canyon wall. smile.gif
Bleyseng
Impala? I saw a picture of a Ford Truck that the rocket engine was installed in the bed. Yep, it hit the canyon wall going pretty fast.
Geoff
72Signal914
Video of it??? hopefully no one was in it, but would be cool to see it hit
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 21 2003, 05:19 PM)
Impala? I saw a picture of a Ford Truck that the rocket engine was installed in the bed. Yep, it hit the canyon wall going pretty fast.
Geoff

on the discovery channel? that was at el mirage dry lake.....a legend exists about that!

anyway.....my uncle owned the complete engine from a 30's (?) caddy v-16! sold it to some dutch racing team for 40k! this thing had soda can cylinders and was like two "straight 8's" next to each other! the crank was totally trick!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.