Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacement valve seats???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattillac
as posted in other threads i have a possible bad valve seat. i talked to my old man about the situation and he said it should be an "easy" fix. he said assuming the damage to the head wasn't too bad, he could machine the head and install an oversized valve seat. he works at a shop that makes alot of high tech stuff, so he has all the equipment. anyone know if an oversized valve seat is available, or even replacement valve seats available period. confused24.gif thanks!
Dr Evil
Yes, they are available. Maybe Engine Builder Supply would have them. You can not just put them in, you need to set the correct crush. The crush is the difference between the hole in the head and the outer diameter of the new seat (roughly). Someone with more knowledge than me will likely bail us out now.
mattillac
icon_bump.gif
mattillac
please, 914club engine pros, where can i get the valve seats. my old man said he can do the work if i can get him some new valve seats. please tell me where to get them:worship: i promise to post something helpful once i get this out of the way biggrin.gif
thanks! rocking nana.gif
Dr Evil
Call a machine shop. THey either get them or make them. Also, look up Bug patch (sp). TIV head parts should not be hard to find.
Mueller
hmmm....i could be wrong here, but you "could" try to call the same shops that sell the replacement valves that you had been looking for smile.gif

also, try Bugformance....

please bookmark the links I (and others) have provided to you wacko.gif

CB Performance

Not too sure if the Haynes manual describes doing this procedure or not (you do have a manual correct???)

also, here is a decent write up on doing this repair to a corvair engine

head rebuilding
mattillac
thanks guys! i'm going wacko.gif
Mueller
when it comes to certain repairs such as heads, most people go to the "professionals".....I have a set of 1.8 heads that need a little work....i have a tough time paying someone else to do the job, but by the time I make the special tooling that is required it is just not worth it for me...besides, I'd hate to launch a motor due to me screwing something up and having a valve getting "intimate" with a piston.... icon8.gif
brp914
My car dropped a seat and I had a new seat installed at Ollies in Santa Ana, CA. That was 15K mi ago. So far, so good.
mattillac
thanks again for the links everyone. but, after looking at a couple sites that sell the seats, i've not found 36mm seats, only 35.5 or 37.5 seats. whats up with that? my 75 2.0 has 36mm seats. is this just another case of me not looking hard enough wacko.gif

i'm really starting to consider handing this job over to a pro and just coughing up the cash, but i'll have to wait till next year before i can afford it headbang.gif but my old man says he can do it so i'll give him a chance first if he doesn't change his mind once he sees the heads.
and i just can't say no to free stuff. clap56.gif
mattillac
specify: 36mm EXHAUST seats.
Dr Evil
um, is 36mm your valve outer/seat inner diameter? That would mean that you need to measure the outer diameter and go slightly up from there. Just a thought.
mattillac
good idea.
clap56.gif
mattillac
so i guess 37.5mm valve seat.
Dr Evil
Now just figure out the crush tollerance. Call a VW machine shop, they should know.
Mark Henry
I wouldn't even try this without a proper head and seat machine (about $25K). Saving a couple of bucks isn't much of a savings if it wipes out your whole engine.
I charge $40 per stock seat (Canadian)...more if I have to custom make the seat.

Also all seat material is not equal, most cheap seats are cast and total crap. How do you tell??? Take one and hammer it hard on the side...if it shatters it's cast, if it bends at least it’s steel.
BTW these cheap seats are what most parts pushers sell.

FYI using scrap heads my head guy and I ruined about a half dozen heads, before we found the proper way to install a seat in the T4 head. To much press and you will split the head...not enough and well, you know....
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif with Mark. Doing this yourself is a disastor that WILL happen. Stop being so cheap and fix them right. it'll be alot cheaper than replacing pistons, cylinders, and god knows what else later on.
mattillac
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Dec 4 2004, 09:47 AM)
agree.gif with Mark. Doing this yourself is a disastor that WILL happen. Stop being so cheap and fix them right. it'll be alot cheaper than replacing pistons, cylinders, and god knows what else later on.

i'm not cheap i'm poor :finger2: and i have bills to pay. when i have the extra money it goes to my wife first wub.gif , then the 914. i'd love to have a pro do the work, but it'll take me time to save up the money. i want to drive the car soon, but i dont want to do more damage either. aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!!! headbang.gif
Mark Henry
I know what poor is like, but if it's one seat take it to Rimco, they'll most likely do one seat for around $30US.

Then get daddy-O to do the valve job.
Jake Raby
Its all in experience with the type 4 head..

People wonder why the work is expensive- When they screw up a 500 buck head in 10 seconds they soon figure it out.

Good heads are gonna be easier to buy soon- very soon.
mattillac
i feel like this headbang.gif when i fix so much on my own (thanks 914 club) then run into a problem like this. ar15.gif vw valve seat engineers
Jake Raby
Doing this work yourself will cost you money....

It takes hundreds of hours to make the profilers and other special tools to do this head work- They can't be bought.

Look at Lens site to see just a few of the ones he has made.

I have severely overheated his heads on purpose TRYING to drop a seat and had no luck...

Not a dropped seat since 1996- Not one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.