Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First look into Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine9three
Have watched Mike's video a couple of times and wanted to know what you think of 1st gear dogteeth (aka "big bucks) and 1-3rd syncro rings. Calling Dr. Evil!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=396
303]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
1st gear dog teeth are DEAD. The slider is probably okay, although the teeth are worn. All the other dogteeth I see look acceptable.

Disclamer: the pics are pretty small for seeing this stuff. wink.gif
Mike Bellis
Yep, these look wasted... sad.gif

IPB Image
nine9three
So...consensus is 1st gear slider ok and 1st gear syncro hub (dogteeth) dead. Third gear syncro looks really, really bad??? Pitted? A better look at 1st gear dogteeth.

Click to view attachment
McMark
THAT'S a good pic. And THAT's a set of wasted dog teeth.
nine9three
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 1 2013, 10:41 PM) *

THAT'S a good pic. And THAT's a set of wasted dog teeth.

Nice explanation and points. So how can 1st gear slider be ok and 1st gear dogteeth be trashed?
McMark
Different metal harness. The slider has some wear, but new slider on new dogteeth can actually be harder to shift because of the ultra-sharp new points. A slight rounding of the teeth smooths engagement.
Like some have mentioned, first gear dogs and slider are toast. Since your already in there, you might as well change the pinion ,main shaft bearings , billet inter plate and also add Calif Motorsports bearing retainers too. I would do more , but that's the minimum for me. Good luck
nine9three
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 2 2013, 03:57 PM) *

Like some have mentioned, first gear dogs and slider are toast. Since your already in there, you might as well change the pinion ,main shaft bearings , billet inter plate and also add Calif Motorsports bearing retainers too. I would do more , but that's the minimum for me. Good luck

If you were doing a SBC or big six conversion, I might agree with some of your suggestions. This is a stock 2.0L four and the stock components have served it well in the past and a refreshing of syncros and a hub will keep it humming for years to come. The bearings look/perform like new. But this is me and I prefer the conservative approach.
QUOTE(nine9three @ Jul 2 2013, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Jul 2 2013, 03:57 PM) *

If you were doing a SBC or big six conversion, I might agree with some of your suggestions. This is a stock 2.0L four and the stock components have served it well in the past and a refreshing of syncros and a hub will keep it humming for years to come. The bearings look/perform like new. But this is me and I prefer the conservative approach.

Your correct, everyone has a different view / budget.
jimkelly
brand new dogteeth
Cap'n Krusty
I would REALLY look at the bearings, especially the cages. Easy now, not easy later. You don't have to remove the shafts, just pull off the gears and washers and put the ol' inspect to 'em.

The Cap'n
Matt Romanowski
When I bought bearings in the spring, pinion shaft bearings were very hard to find. I think I found the last new one in the US at the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.