Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealants-the last 1 I ever use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif I have seen a tremendous amount of tech questions related to sealants. I have come across one, ( actually pointed out to me by a very, very old vw mechanic) quite a number of years ago.

It is a TOYOTA "seal packing" compound--P/N-00295-01281

It comes in a metal squeeze tube of 3.5 oz. each tube costs about 15 bucks. But this is what is so neat about it:

It plainly states on the tube " transaxle sealant" --but personally I can tell you that I have used this stuff on all manner except fuel related components. It is orange in color, and only slightly hardens when applied and torqued. Best of all, it only requires a skim coat ( just enough to see it) because it wets out the entire mating surface perfectly.

One tube has lasted me through 4 v-8 engine rebuilds, and it has paid for itself many times over.

Regular fluids, incl gasoline does not affect this stuff, and because it does not through harden, as parts heat and cool, the sealant stays intact.

That is just one thing I have picked up from being a gearhead and making good friends.... aktion035.gif
jwalters
ohmy.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif and here is another good one for fuel components--it is called PRC-8802

This is also an aviation grade sealant, two part---will absolutely positively seal any, ANY fuel related component for LIFE!!!

Goes on like hot cheese, dries to a rubber consistency, can be removed with elbow grease and a lexan sharpened scraper..... beer.gif beer.gif
rick 918-S
Go to the Yamaha Dealer, Buy a tube of Yamabond! clap56.gif I sealed a prussurized oil leak from the outside of the block on the 928. Got me through the summer. It's aluminum colored.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.