Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission blast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawn914
Cleaned the "easy" stuff off the transmission. I am considering taking it to a blaster for a CLEAN sweep (the shop uses glass or walnut). Could then be painted too, after a rebuild. Is there a reason(s) to not media blast the transmission (EXTERNAL surfaces only)?
Shawn
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(shawn914 @ Jul 8 2013, 03:21 PM) *

Cleaned the "easy" stuff off the transmission. I am considering taking it to a blaster for a CLEAN sweep (the shop uses glass or walnut). Could then be painted too, after a rebuild. Is there a reason(s) to not media blast the transmission (EXTERNAL surfaces only)?
Shawn
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

You will blast right past the seals.
I will powerwash a tranny the day before I rebuild it, I wrap rags into the stubs, wrap/tape every opening and I still see water in the case when I tear it down.

How often do you see people crawl under your car and go "Ohhhhh such a pretty transmission!"?`
I guess if you're building a trailer queen it's OK, but I plan to drive my 914.
bulitt
agree.gif dont do it, abrasive will get into everything.

Heres a thread-

Cleaning up a trans

Harpo
The Dr advises against it. I was chastised for cleaning up mine:)
shawn914
Thanks for responses. Will NOT get it blasted. Regretfully, I did use a power washer for probably less than 5 minutes to knock off some grime. As this was clearly not good, I may have to break this down sooner rather than later.
pcar916
Water certainly went into the vent if you didn't plug it, and in via the flange seals as well. For now I'd drain/tilt to get as much out as possible and refill. If it was in the car running water will evaporate eventually but out of the car the water will just sit there... sittin'.
ConeDodger
My 915 was put in a car part 'dishwasher' and then left on a stand for a few months. It looked fantastic! When it was taken apart a few days back there was some surface rust on a few internals. Nothing that will not wipe off but just a thought. I would think the way to do it would be to take it apart and soda blast the external case...
draganc
I wish my tranny would have looked like yours. Not perfect but not bad at all - from the pics.
I sealed off all the openings and had it soda blasted and washed it afterwards.
Came out really nice.
NORD

Put mine on a stand and rolled it out on the grass. Used simple Green full strength and. A parts washer stiff brush then rinsed with garden hose. All OK and looks good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.