Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Are all valve covers the same? 1.7 - 2.0? And are they interchangable from left to right and can they be straightened easily. I have one with the outside lip that is bent.
SLITS
Uh yeah, except for those made with tabs to hold the gaskets - not sure when they started.
Jake Raby
The early 1.7 had different covers. They are a different shape but will still fit a 2.0 head or any other..

They are swappable from left to right..

Install with the vw logo UPSIDE DOWN, thats the right way..
Allan
What about repairing these things if they get warped or bent?
Mueller
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 3 2004, 11:11 AM)
What about repairing these things if they get warped or bent?

that depends on you and your skills...might just be better off finding a known good set....
Allan
Thanks guys. I don't have the equipment to really ensure that the surfaces are flat and true so I'll post a WTB in the classifieds.
Brando
Might sound like a dumb question, but since we're on the topic of valve covers...

Do the aluminum empi covers with finning on them actually make a difference or no?
Dave_Darling
Yes, they do. They drastically increase the amount of oil you find on your heat exchangers... Plus they add stress to fasteners that are not very over-engineered in the first place (the rocker arm retaining studs).

IMHO, they suck.

--DD
MattR
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 3 2004, 01:28 PM)
They drastically increase the amount of oil you find on your heat exchangers...

Hmm, more oil on the heat exchangers, eh? idea.gif

biggrin.gif
URY914
Are they all the same?

No, there are two kinds. Those that leak and those that don't. They look alot alike.

As far as the cast aluminim ones, they suck.

Paul
Mike D.
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 3 2004, 01:28 PM)
Yes, they do. They drastically increase the amount of oil you find on your heat exchangers... Plus they add stress to fasteners that are not very over-engineered in the first place (the rocker arm retaining studs).

IMHO, they suck.

--DD

AND they wont fit under your stock cooling tins without a little help... smash.gif ...the tin that is.

-Mike D.

BTW - I have three sets of brand new valve covers, Still have the Porsche stickers on them. Not cheep but that is because I paid too much for them huh.gif
Jake Raby
Stock or nothing..

The bolt on ones have weak hardware that sucks. They can easily pop right off and take the rockers with them..

If you want something nice I sell carbon fiber ones that use stock gaskets and bails and don't leak.
ChrisFoley
Some early ones have a rounded countour that interferes with the rocker adjusters when a big cam is used. The later ones have straight sides that give more room inside.

The cast aluminum ones can be modified to not leak. The gasket surface has to be milled, and the flat where the nut goes has to be milled on a 3.5 degree angle, since the rocker stud isn't perpendicular to the gasket surface. Generally speaking, it's not worth the added expense.
I think the hardware fails because people overtighten them trying to eliminate the leaks. unsure.gif
Allan
Thanks again guys. Slits is bailing me out again. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.