Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New 1974 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
03blueboo
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1974 1.8. It runs and drives well and I couldn't be happier. Well, mostly couldn't be happier. Here are the issues (I need to resolve them else the car won't pass inspection).

The following items aren't working:

Reverse Lights, brake lights, wipers, windshield sprayer, horn and possible the interior light.

The hand brake moves about 3 inches but won't engage, and it won't engage the brakes either.

I checked the bulbs, and all the other lights and signals work.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nate
mrholland2
Before you start getting advice, do two things:

1. Buy a multi-meter
2. Check the weird fuses to make sure they are THERE and that they aren't bad and that they are all making good contact. This seems silly, but the fuses arevery odd in our cars.

Sean

QUOTE(03blueboo @ Jul 9 2013, 12:48 PM) *

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1974 1.8. It runs and drives well and I couldn't be happier. Well, mostly couldn't be happier. Here are the issues (I need to resolve them else the car won't pass inspection).

The following items aren't working:

Reverse Lights, brake lights, wipers, windshield sprayer, horn and possible the interior light.

The hand brake moves about 3 inches but won't engage, and it won't engage the brakes either.

I checked the bulbs, and all the other lights and signals work.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nate

03blueboo
[quote name='mrholland2' date='Jul 9 2013, 03:54 PM' post='1892430']
Before you start getting advice, do two things:

1. Buy a multi-meter
2. Check the weird fuses to make sure they are THERE and that they aren't bad and that they are all making good contact. This seems silly, but the fuses arevery odd in our cars.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I did check the fuses and they all looked good, but I didn't pull them to make sure. I'll pick up the multi-meter though. I'm sure I'll need one again later.

Nate
rick 918-S
The hand brake handle has a button that is spring loaded and engages a gear when pulled. If the handle doesn't stay up and needs to be released by pressing the button start there. Then move to the cables and rear calipers.

welcome.png
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png

So your blinkers blink and your running lights illuminate but no reverse or brake lights? Check your grounds and clean all the contact points for the fuses and bulbs. As Sean said, be sure you have power to the bulb before you start taking things apart.
03blueboo
Thanks Drew!
montoya 73 2.0
As a life long VW owner, I like to start cheap and work my way to expensive. Cleaning and checking are free, replacing fuses and bulbs are starting to be expensive. Re-wiring and replacing broken bulb housings are expensive! Good luck!

By the way;

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
03blueboo
So I checked all the fuses and some are not getting power. But as an update, the brake lights now work. And the hand brake stops the car, it just won't catch so I guess I need to deal with the ratchet.

On the subject of fuses, some of the fuses installed are incorrect. Like, there are several 25a in place of 8a. Not sure if I should be worried.

And one headlight likes to wink 3-8times before stowing. I tried to adjust it on the motor with some success but now there is a grinding noise. Any ideas?

Nate
type47
QUOTE(03blueboo @ Jul 9 2013, 11:48 AM) *

... windshield sprayer...

All the other things on your list are electrical. The washer system has a bottle under the front hood on the passenger's side that receives pressure from the spare tire so as a start, you could verify that the connection between the spare and the bottle is there. Then there are all the connecting rubber hoses ... old rubber, be ready for splits ... The stalk operates a little release valve to provide the spray. So, there is a couple of days work checking all that out dry.gif

Check out the link to the electrical diagrams on Pelican and the parts diagrams; links in my signature ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.