Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of engine tin: Fasteners?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikeyb33
Re. this thread, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=214419

which reminded me I have a job on my car still unfinished - Engine compartment tin: Does anybody have a source for 'captive' nuts/fasteners, such as you see on the stock tin?

I have some big gaps in the enclosure around my motor, a 3.6 conversion, which I expect won't accept any stock 914-6 tin. I had planned on doing hand mockup/fab of the needed parts to close it out. The final detail being, how to tie them all together, with minimal 'craft work' involved.

Screws are easy to come up with, but what about the nut side. Captive being the most important feature of these of course... The captive nuts I've seen on VW tin appear to self-attach via square-punched holes in the metal. While such parts might be found w/o too much trouble, I think the mounting holes would be hard to duplicate without a lot of hand labor.

If anyone can point me to a decent source for fasteners to do this job or a good alternative solution, I'd appreciate it!
Cap'n Krusty
The nuts on 914 and 911 tin are, for the most part, square pieces spot welded to the tin. The only exception being maybe the captive nuts that are incorporated into the oil cooler.

The Cap'n
Harpo
What about a rivnut? Picture a rivit with a nut inside. They can be installed either by power or manually

David
ConeDodger
Glass them in. evilgrin.gif I've seen it done. I think it was McMark who did it...
mrbubblehead
my vote is for 6mm rivnuts. thats what i used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.