Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -4 dual carb throttle cable routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
What is the best way to route the throttle cable on a dual carb Type IV? I was able to find a few threads where people flipped the carbs and used a stock cable. My engine has a really nicely built bracket for the throttle cable hookup, but I am going to have to route a stock cable up through the front of the engine tin to make it work.

Does someone make a custom cable for a dual Weber setup that will route through the back of the engine tin like the stock throttle cable? Or, should I just route the stock cable up through the front of the tin?

TIA
shuie
Anyone have suggestions other than the backwards carb setup?
michael7810
I use the Tangerine dual carb linkage and the stock cable was too short for my installation. I had to make my own cable from motorcycle shop cable and housing. For the pedal end, I made the attachment from a bolt; cut the head off, drilled the center, then soldered & swaged it on the cable. For the end that attaches to the carbs I melted solder in the cable stands. My finished cable is about 12 inches longer than a stock cable and the routing has nice smooth bends.
r_towle
There is nothing backwards about setting the webers up correctly on a 914 motor.

Using the stock throttle cable, making a custom bracket to hold it off the fan housing, roughly in the middle, but slightly to the passenger side....there is a hole in the fan you can use...
Everything lines up perfectly.
That is for the worst choice of linkage, the CB performance (or any) cross bar linkage.

The next step forward would be the CSP style center pivot linkage which also uses the stock throttle cable on a custom bracket.
You can find that from McMark here, or CSP in Germany...

The best step, which also uses the stock throttle cable coming from the front, is the Foley cable linkage and setup that will not get out of adjustment and provides smooth control of the throttle.

All use the stock throttle cable coming in from the front.
Nothing is backwards about any of them.

rich
michael7810
I mounted the carb pulleys towards the rear of the car because with them on the front (using the stock accel cable) I had to remove the carbs to remove #2 & #4 spark plugs and that was a real PITA. I think my intakes might be too short for the pulley linkage on a 1.7. I don't like having a custom accel cable in case it breaks. I need to make a spare before it happens.
monkeyboy
Michael, it's the way it goes. Everyone I know that is running the Tangerine linkage had to do a ton of reengineering to make them work.

Mine sit right over the 1 - 3 spark plug boots.
914werke
I ran into this issue as well the WE.
Customer car with NO tin in front of fan shroud presumably to allow the OE cable to to route over the top/center of the shroud, where they had fabbed a "bracket" to allow pull over the top of the hex bar.

To install the correct bracket (like the one Mark & other sell) It looks like I have to remove & flip the carbs to mount them so the linkage is in back?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 15 2013, 02:30 PM) *

I use the Tangerine dual carb linkage and the stock cable was too short for my installation. I had to make my own cable from motorcycle shop cable and housing. For the pedal end, I made the attachment from a bolt; cut the head off, drilled the center, then soldered & swaged it on the cable. For the end that attaches to the carbs I melted solder in the cable stands. My finished cable is about 12 inches longer than a stock cable and the routing has nice smooth bends.

We made sure the stock cable would reach any of the 4 possible locations before selling one kit. If you couldn't reach, you must have not relocated the cable properly.

Our original kits had potential clearance issues with spark plug wires when short manifolds are used. Our recently revised kits have cured that problem.
914werke
So it there an "appropriate" direction for mounting the carb bodies?
Or is is just up to every individual?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.