Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
Ok, I am new to anything porsche and I was wondering on my conversion I am going to be doing why do I need to stick with a factory oil tank? I wouldn't mind going to some aftermarket one that holds more oil to begin with. If someone could help, what options do I have? Is there one I can use that is alittle cheaper then factory? I am not looking to do a 914-6 recreation, I am basically building a track car that can still function as a street car. The oil cooler is just the beginning of my million questions I will probably be picking guys brains with. Thankyou.
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
Jeffs9146
It's not the stock tank, it is a tank in the stock location that makes the conversion more ideal for a street car. But for a track car you can put it where ever you want, so it doesn't matter what it looks like!

Here is my nonstock tank in the stock location! You can see the filler neck in the stock location!

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
My non-stock tank that will someday, sometime be installed in the stock location to provide oil for a six of some size and HP that maybe someday will more than likely be installed in my car some day. Soon. Maybe. In all likelihood. But not next week almost for sure.
type47
this link to a thread about an oil tank group buy shows alot of your options and discussion:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...+tank+group+buy

or enter "914-6 oil tank" including quotes into Search of Garage for a bunch of related threads
brant
More info. A tank in the rear trunk is the wrong direction to move weight for balance and handling. A front roundy tank requires large return lines to the motor which eat into any cost savings. Also the front tank isn't legal for some vintage clubs (mine)
GeorgeRud
Don't have any pictures, but I have seen some where a round tank was mounted in the area of the battery box when the battery was relocated.
Woody
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 23 2013, 07:33 AM) *

Don't have any pictures, but I have seen some where a round tank was mounted in the area of the battery box when the battery was relocated.

Thats the setup I am considering.
Cap'n Krusty
Again, putting all that weight high up is a bad thing for handling. The battery box is as high as the trunk floor, more or less, and putting 20-25 pounds up there is gonna be noticeable, especially if you move the battery to a point equally high in the chassis.

The Cap'n
chad newton
I have already relocated my battery up front so I am guessing that it wouldn't kill me to put a cooler where the battery is supposed to be. But up front seems ok especially if I have to run a cooler. I may fab up something in the battery spot, I guess I can always move it.
Woody
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 23 2013, 09:30 AM) *

Again, putting all that weight high up is a bad thing for handling. The battery box is as high as the trunk floor, more or less, and putting 20-25 pounds up there is gonna be noticeable, especially if you move the battery to a point equally high in the chassis.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap. I was thinking if I take out the tray and run the tank as low as possible it would be comparable to the OEM setup. Guess this may not work as well as I thought. I'm torn between running a tank in the factory location or running a front tank. I am not comfortable having the oil supply all the way up front but I also don't need anymore weight on the driver side. Decisions decisions. idea.gif
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 22 2013, 10:11 PM) *

My non-stock tank that will someday, sometime be installed in the stock location to provide oil for a six of some size and HP that maybe someday will more than likely be installed in my car some day. Soon. Maybe. In all likelihood. But not next week almost for sure.

Hi Elliott,
Sorry about the concurrent thread.
I wanna learn how to tig that tank. I have the metal, now I have to figure out how to do the baffles. The tig is new tome, but the bending should go ok. Mind if I keep an eye on your photo?
Also this is another possible option. If I pull it off either the welder or the tank is free.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 23 2013, 05:02 AM) *

More info. A tank in the rear trunk is the wrong direction to move weight for balance and handling. A front roundy tank requires large return lines to the motor which eat into any cost savings. Also the front tank isn't legal for some vintage clubs (mine)

Don't tell 911 owners this..rear engine ??
brant
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 24 2013, 08:36 AM) *

That's why we are more balanced than them. Just not mentally.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 24 2013, 06:36 AM) *

agree.gif Really good driving schools sometimes split participants into groups. "Front drive cars over here, rear drive cars over here, and Porsche 911 drivers over here."
When the laughter stops, they explain that front drive cars will behave in a certain way as will rear drive cars, but 911's are likely to do anything!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 23 2013, 11:04 PM) *

Hi Elliott,
I wanna learn how to tig that tank. I have the metal, now I have to figure out how to do the baffles. The tig is new tome, but the bending should go ok. Mind if I keep an eye on your photo?
Also this is another possible option. If I pull it off either the welder or the tank is free.

Pretty sure that Elliot didn't make that tank smile.gif
It's a DWD, same as Patrick MS sells.

I did all the research, thought about welding up a steel tank, thought about making an AL tank, thought about a front tank....etc.
In the end I was watching the classifieds and I picked up a new DWD tank at a OK price.

IMHO just close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, start screaming LA-LA-LA-LA-LA....and hit the buy it now button on a DWD tank.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2013, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 23 2013, 11:04 PM) *

Hi Elliott,

Pretty sure that Elliot didn't make that tank smile.gif
It's a DWD, same as Patrick MS sells.

I did all the research, thought about welding up a steel tank, thought about making an AL tank, thought about a front tank....etc.
In the end I was watching the classifieds and I picked up a new DWD tank at a OK price.

IMHO just close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, start screaming LA-LA-LA-LA-LA....and hit the buy it now button on a DWD tank.

WHAT?? How DARE you question my welding skills? welder.gif
Actually, I bought that tank from these guys. I'm not sure but don't think they have any left. (And it wasn't cheap). biggrin.gif http://rebelracingproducts.com/index.html
ConeDodger
Elliot's is a DW Design tank. I'm not sure the PMS tank is the same or if PMS just started making them on their own.
brant
I have a home made aluminum tank. I copied the stock tank. It is very similar to the one above. I am on a phone or else could post a link. My thread has baffle pictures too
brant
I have a home made aluminum tank. I copied the stock tank. It is very similar to the one above. I am on a phone or else could post a link. My thread has baffle pictures too
zambezi
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 23 2013, 01:11 AM) *

At least you have a definite plan biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jul 24 2013, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 23 2013, 01:11 AM) *

At least you have a definite plan biggrin.gif

And it will be... indefinitely. biggrin.gif
FourBlades

The beauty of the stock tank is that it fits into the driver side rear fender.

This is normally just wasted space.

Putting it anywhere else takes up space that is valuable in a street car and usually means lots more expensive plumbing to route.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.