Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing undercoating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
Finally got back to work on Willow Green. Removing aftermarket undercoating today. Here is one wheel well.

Heat gun, putty knife, gloves, mask.

IPB Image

Before

IPB Image

During

IPB Image

After

IPB Image

RFoulds
Some nooks and crannies to clean up, some spots to rub out, then touch up.
JeffBowlsby
Coming along nice...how much time did the one wheel well take? Have you used any solvent on it yet - like paint thinner?
RFoulds
Hi Jeff. One wheel well took about 2.5 hours. I used solvent for first cleaning, and then solvent with 00 steel wool after the heat gun

rhodyguy
you might try/buy some of this stuff for after the heat gun. not too stinky, you load/spray it from a spray bottle, let it work and the residue wipes off with scotchbrite pads and paper towels, and you de-activate with alcohol. down side is it will lift the paint. i used it on floor tar. great stuff. seems spendy but it goes a long way. my powdercoater uses it.
RFoulds
I have used similar products. I don't want to strip the paint underneath. The point here is to reveal the paint that has been protected by the soft tar based undercoating. Just like on my Oly Blue when I stripped off the original Cosmoline. Getti g a car back to the "as delivered to dealer" look.
mr914
The best stuff I found is the POR-15 stripper

The undercoat/paint/sealer laughed hissyfit.gif at the aviation strippers. Even with plastic wrap, etc. hours and hours, heat and scrape and it wouldn't come off. 70 914-6.

Bought a jug of this stuff and it was done in a couple of hours cheer.gif
Matt Romanowski
I've done a number of cars with kerosene. Spray on from a spray bottle, let soak for 30 minutes, scrape off with a plastic putty knife and scrub with various brushes. Works great.
RFoulds
I have used kerosene previously but the heat gun is proving to be more thorough. then a light scrub with Mineral spirits and steel wool.

Process would have been easier but I decided not to remove struts. Mainly because they still had factory seal marks. Am I being too anal?

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.