Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gaskets for HE duct parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
The covers that go over the flappers on the fan shroud, what are they made of?

Ditto for the clamps that hold the duct work to the HEs.

I assume it's the same stuff. Just curious what you all are using for gaskets?

Thanks,

Len
SLITS
The gaskets were built/glued into the tin. Never heard of a source for the material ... probably cork.

I installed mine without the gaskets ... didn't seal shit anyway.
type47
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/202-15.php

wow, 35 bucks for a little gasket!
michael7810
I didn't use gaskets and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Plenty of heat for Phoenix winters.
lsintampa
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 24 2013, 07:08 AM) *

Yeah, I saw that on their site, so I thought to myself, someone other than me wants to seal that thing, but is stubborn enough to refuse to pay for what looks to be a piece of cork.

I have cork gasket material and can make my own. Just was wondering if the material needed to be something more heat resistant.

As a side, I fine many parts on AA to be on the high side. I guess when you have a captive audience higher prices is one of the things that come with.

ripper911
Not exactly cork, but it kinda has a similar feel. Looks like it's a more heat resistant material.

IPB Image

lsintampa
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 24 2013, 09:15 AM) *

Not exactly cork, but it kinda has a similar feel. Looks like it's a more heat resistant material.

Yeah, but AA even calls it cork on their site.

Is your gasket OEM? Cause it looks like the AA gasket is cork and they call it as such.

In any event, I'm all about forming my own since I already have a sheet of cork material on hand.

ripper911
I am inside of AA right now, I grabbed that one off of the shelf and took a picture just for you.

It's the genuine Porsche part.
lsintampa
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 24 2013, 09:28 AM) *

I am inside of AA right now, I grabbed that one off of the shelf and took a picture just for you.

It's the genuine Porsche part.

Sweet! Thanks.
ripper911
Just because it's the morning...

Here's a picture of a bag of them in front of the 916.
beerchug.gif

IPB Image

They're some kind of dark corky material.
rhodyguy
on the cheap. the branch ducting clamping pieces can be sealed by making a small bead of rtf on the ducting side where the clamping pieces make contact. let the bead set up to the point where the rtv is fully cured. or not. you're not going to lose that much air flow without gaskets.
Cap'n Krusty
The original gaskets appear to be some kind of compressed paper-like material, something along the lines of the original thick sump gaskets.

The Cap'n
sean_v8_914
autozone and summit racing sells a roll of that thick press paper like gasket material. its tough to cut. i used a razor. be careful, you have to push hard and if it lets go, look out!
Bartlett 914
I used an o-ring. You can use rubber cord stock. Not perfect but it worked
Mikey914
Hummmmm..............
lsintampa
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 24 2013, 10:59 AM) *

The original gaskets appear to be some kind of compressed paper-like material, something along the lines of the original thick sump gaskets.

The Cap'n

I got some of that laying around here also.

It isn't that big of a deal, I'm in FL, so heat isn't an issue. It may however be an issue for the next owner - should there be one.

unsure.gif
lsintampa
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 24 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Just because it's the morning...

Here's a picture of a bag of them in front of the 916.
beerchug.gif

They're some kind of dark corky material.

To be honest, I'm not shocked to see a bag of them. The other side is like $45.00 so for both gaskets, cork or whatever they are made of, you're up near $80.00.

Almost the cost for a low end carpet set for the car, more than a set of brake pads, and so on... is another way to look at it.

Thanks!
walterolin
Your department, Mark. I'll need a set when I start to reassemble.

The old stuff I took off of mine looked more like a heat resistant material such as asbestos (now verboten). I think I would want something a little better than cork. Gasket material or RTV as suggested above would probably be sufficient.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 24 2013, 11:21 AM) *

Hummmmm..............

ChrisFoley
This is what I use.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#5109K21
1/4" wide silicone strip with adhesive backing.
$12 for a 15ft length, enough for quite a few cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.