Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting 2.0 to Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I know many will say don't do it. I am planning to make the conversion back to FI at some point. But for a short term solution I need to do this.

This engine is actually a 2056 with a stock cam. I know I am leaving some HP on the table with the use of the stock cam and carbs. I will be running Weber 44s with 28 or 32 vents. Engine has new 96 mm cylinders and the valve guides were all replaced when the valve job was done on the heads. New front and rear seals installed.

I have the engine on the ground so i can get to everything. I have read some things to consider like blocking off the vent tubes on the heads. But I was wondering what else I need to address?

I have read the stock dizzy will work but it needs the vacuum hooked up. Certainly there are other dizzy options.

Any other suggestions on what is needed to get it going would be appreciated.

'73-914kid
I would recomend purchasing a mallory unilite distributor, and removing the vacuum advance altogether. Simple is good, and when you go back to fuel injection, you can sell it used for a decent chunk of money.

You also will need a breather box or tank for the oil filler vent. EMPI makes a rather cheap cast aluminum unit that works well. For a motor that will be eventually converted back to FI, I would just run the head vent hoses into the breather box.

what else... 30mm vents would be a good balance between torque and high horsepower IMO, thats what I tuned my 2143 type IV to, and it runs beautifully.

Thats pretty much it.. my recomendation to everyone is to invest in a good throttle linkage..it will make your life exponentially easier when tuning.

'73-914kid
I would recomend purchasing a mallory unilite distributor, and removing the vacuum advance altogether. Simple is good, and when you go back to fuel injection, you can sell it used for a decent chunk of money.

You also will need a breather box or tank for the oil filler vent. EMPI makes a rather cheap cast aluminum unit that works well. For a motor that will be eventually converted back to FI, I would just run the head vent hoses into the breather box.

what else... 30mm vents would be a good balance between torque and high horsepower IMO, thats what I tuned my 2143 type IV to, and it runs beautifully.

Thats pretty much it.. my recomendation to everyone is to invest in a good throttle linkage..it will make your life exponentially easier when tuning.

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 23 2013, 11:41 PM) *

That's what I was going to say. If you've never used Chris Foley's cable linkage, now is probably the time. About an hour to set it all up the first time and you'll be able to keep everything synched from there on out much easier. And for only a few bucks more than one would spend on the Bellcrank style or Redline linkages. I'm still so grateful to FourBlades for setting me up with mine!
CG-914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 23 2013, 11:42 PM) *

agree.gif

Also:
You have to change the fuel pump to a 3 psi one and run everything on a 8mm supply line and no return line.

Look for the article on conversion of fuel pump relay!

FI supply line 9.5mm
FI return line 8 mm

Good time to use chris's Steel fuel lines! less fire hazard!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.