Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: main seal installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Hello,

I put the case together this weekend with the cam and crank! It looks and feels great!
biggrin.gif
But I had trouble putting in the main seal (on the fan end). I used a rubber mallet and a roll of electrical tape to tap it in. The roll of tape helped because it gave a flat surface to hit on, with the hole of the roll letting the end of the crank come through.

None the less, I managed to tear the seal and now need to get a new one!

Does any one have some advice so I don't waste another seal???

One thought I had was to back off all the case bolts/nuts to get a bit more space and then retighten the bolts/nuts.

Cheers
Nate

PS: attatched picture shows engine case assembled from flywheel end.
type11969
I make sure the seating surface is really really clean and I put some grease on the mating surface of both the case and the seal. I get a 2x4 that spans the seal, and tap it in. Of course I will hit the 2x4 not sqaurely which will cock the seal in its bore, but after a few tries, it goes in. I get the seal flush with the edge of the case with the 2x4, then carefully tap it until it seats around the edge of the seal with a socket extension. I also grease the inner lip of the seal so that the flywheel doesn't tear it during the first startup.

Has worked well so far with the seals I've replaced.

-Chris
3d914
Chris is right. Done it this way and it works well.

Good luck.
Natedog
Thanks!

I'll order up a new seal and try it with the grease and 2x4.

Cheers,
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.