Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Ignition Switch - Requests or Comments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GunWilli
New to online forums and 914's...

I'm about to replace the ignition switch in my 1974 1.8L.

I've done a little bit of reading online and I think I'm ready to dig in. If anyone wants pictures of something specific or has comments about what I'm doing, please leave a reply.

Right now:
- Starter tested okay
- Safety belt system jumped
- How to instructable from Pelican Parts
- Switch on order from AutoAtlanta

I think I'll get everything taken apart while I wait on parts. I'm also thinking about having new keys made... that's another topic.

Take Care...

type2man
I had a problem with my 914 not starting every now and then. It turned out the be the actual cylinder and not the electrical part in the back. The piece on the switch that goes into the electrical part wore out on mine and wouldn't turn the switch far enough to start.
Kirmizi
QUOTE(type2man @ Jul 28 2013, 01:02 PM) *

I had a problem with my 914 not starting every now and then. It turned out the be the actual cylinder and not the electrical part in the back. The piece on the switch that goes into the electrical part wore out on mine and wouldn't turn the switch far enough to start.

This can also happen with some of the "cheap" replacement switches, since they don't fit as snug in the steering column as the originals.
jimkelly
check this out

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tion_switch.htm

jim
tomeric914
The same switch can be had for about $6 from a VW. No need to go to AA.

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jul 28 2013, 08:41 PM) *

This can also happen with some of the "cheap" replacement switches, since they don't fit as snug in the steering column as the originals.

I stopped in to AA a few years ago while in Atlanta on business. Their suggestion was to use a piece of paper to shim the ignition switch. It worked... for about a week. They sold me the same $6 Chinese switch for $30. I thought I was going to get an original switch for that price. Turns out I got the bait and switch.

QUOTE(type2man @ Jul 28 2013, 05:02 PM) *

I went with a good used VW cylinder and switch off eBay. Has worked ever since (knock on wood).

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(GunWilli @ Jul 28 2013, 01:44 PM) *

Just curious, but why the instructions from Pelican and the switch from AA?

(I do have a vested interest...)

--DD
GunWilli
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2013, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(GunWilli @ Jul 28 2013, 01:44 PM) *

Just curious, but why the instructions from Pelican and the switch from AA?

(I do have a vested interest...)

--DD

Sorry for the delay. I don't have my email notification set up correctly. To answer your question.

Parts:
AutoAtlanta has schematics with links directly to the parts, and it seems like they can supply just about anything anything. For example I couldn't readily find a turn signal switch at Pelican.

Instructions:
Pelican's instructions came up top hit on google search.

I hope this helps...
GunWilli
I think I figured it out....

Corroded wires to the large relay under the passenger seat. (pictured) I stripped them back, twisted together and she fired right up. I will do some more testing and then make the repair permanent.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
chads74
I am having problems with my car not starting lately. I have been scratching my head and can't figure out what the deal is. So the relay under the seat... did that seam to fix your starting issues? Or did you replace the ignition switch also? Any help would be much appreciated!
jimkelly
wouldn't the test for consistent power at the ignition lead to the starter be to see if it has 12v with every key-in-ignition turn? if not, then there possibly a switch problem?

I would say, to test alone, put a buzzer or light on the ignition lead to starter, to see.

I need to test mine btw.

jim
chads74
QUOTE(GunWilli @ Aug 12 2013, 08:23 AM) *

I think I figured it out....

Corroded wires to the large relay under the passenger seat. (pictured) I stripped them back, twisted together and she fired right up. I will do some more testing and then make the repair permanent.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Do you have a pic of where the wires connect at the relay? I think one of mine pulled from the relay. This is what I have....

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
Just eliminate that rats nest of wires by removing the relay and connecting the two Yellow wires together!

That will eliminate the no start relay from engaging and the seatbelt warning buzzer!
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 7 2013, 04:11 PM) *

Just eliminate that rats nest of wires by removing the relay and connecting the two Yellow wires together!

That will eliminate the no start relay from engaging and the seatbelt warning buzzer!

agree.gif
You stated that you defeated the seat belt interlock circuit, but the picture tells a different story
chads74
Just to make sure I understand... Splice the two large yellow wires together, and I can cap the remaining wires.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 7 2013, 05:33 PM) *

agree.gif
You stated that you defeated the seat belt interlock circuit, but the picture tells a different story

Those are not my photos!
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(chads74 @ Oct 7 2013, 05:57 PM) *

Just to make sure I understand... Splice the two large yellow wires together, and I can cap the remaining wires.

I just connected the two wires and removed the relay!
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 7 2013, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 7 2013, 05:33 PM) *

agree.gif

Those are not my photos!

My bad flag.gif
JRust
I ordered 2 ignition switches from Pelican last week. Ordered sunday & received wendnesday http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...h_pg1.htm#item3

$8 bucks & yeah it's the VW switch. I ordered 2 since they were cheap. I have always gotten my orders from Pelican in 3-4 days. I cannot say the same for AA

Oh yeah you don't need to take the lower dash off. You can get to those plugs just fine without pulling it.
chads74
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 7 2013, 07:06 PM) *

I ordered 2 ignition switches from Pelican last week. Ordered sunday & received wendnesday http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...h_pg1.htm#item3

$8 bucks & yeah it's the VW switch. I ordered 2 since they were cheap. I have always gotten my orders from Pelican in 3-4 days. I cannot say the same for AA

Oh yeah you don't need to take the lower dash off. You can get to those plugs just fine without pulling it.

Good to know! I ordered the switch from pelican late last week, so I am hoping I can get it soon.
chads74
Did I receive the wrong switch?

Drums66
.....Yes,those are the late switches(early key cylinder) idea.gif
bye1.gif
chads74
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Oct 9 2013, 07:37 PM) *

.....Yes,those are the late switches(early key cylinder) idea.gif
bye1.gif

Good to know thanks for the info!
orthobiz
I had to source an original NOS German switch for my car. The aftermarket switch just wouldn't work long enough. External dimensions look very, very close so I cannot explain the discrepancy. Never tried the paper wrap trick.

I posted pics in the Parts Vault.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=109146

Paul
chads74
Any one know where to find an original switch and about what they should cost?
orthobiz
QUOTE(chads74 @ Oct 10 2013, 10:26 PM) *

Any one know where to find an original switch and about what they should cost?

Brad Mayeur found mine a few years ago. Don't expect they come up often, it's an eBay or World Classified type of item. Someone out there has one, though, I'd bet. Maybe place a WTB ad on our site.

As for price, IIRC it was under 50 bucks but I don't really remember exactly. For the shenanigans my steering column was giving me it was well worth it.

Paul
chads74
I'll keep my eyes open for one
Porschef
Have you tried calling the nearest Porsche dealer and ordering one?

They're still available. Made inGermany. Cost about 35 clams. And you won't have to change it in three months.
chads74
QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 11 2013, 03:59 PM) *

Have you tried calling the nearest Porsche dealer and ordering one?

They're still available. Made inGermany. Cost about 35 clams. And you won't have to change it in three months.

I did not know that, defiantly worth looking into. Thanks for the info!
dangrouche
The one you have with that extra bit of plastic can be ground off with a dremel tool and used. I have done it before. Alternatively, there's one on eBay for $7 delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350817105639?ssPag...984.m1438.l2649
partwerks
I'm stabbing in the dark here, but I wonder if either of those two things could be related to the scenario with my engine cutting out for about 6 seconds, and then as strange as it just quits, it always takes back off again. Only does it when driving down the road, intermittently, of course.

I wonder if it could be the ignition switch? I wiggle it, but nothing bad happens. The wiring under the passenger seat, I'm not exactly sure, cuz some of that may have been changed with the subie conversion??
chads74
Thanks to George aka ThePaintedMan my car is running again. He brought over a good ignition switch, I popped it in and she fired right up. I started looking at the oem switch and noticed the crack in the plastic, guessing that is what causes them to fail. Also, while I had the car apart I wired the passenger seat relay wires together just in case, so it wouldn't give me issues in the future. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Edit: car is now that much closer to being ready for the tropical rumble next month.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.