Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: think of trading my 72 914 in for a newer Porsche Boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
I know I'll get crucified for this but I am contemplating putting the 72 914 out to pasture and taking on a 1998-2002 Porsche Boxster. Sexy car!
Elliot Cannon
Meet us in Durango for the RRC and we'll talk you out of it. laugh.gif
Andyrew
Your going to almost have as much headaches on that year boxster as an old 914. If it were ME doing that, I would go for a newer car so I wouldnt have any major maintenance worries and could put 40-50k miles on it without fear.
jesiv
I would agree. I have both. A 2003 Boxster S and a 1975 1.8. The IMS alone on these years is a real issue. Porsche is settling a class action lawsuit right now. If that doesn't confirm the ims problem I don't know what else is need to make it a fact. The only way I could buy a Boxster was with a Porsche CPO warranty. Which is exactly what I would recommend you do. As they say with Porsches buy the best car you can afford. These cars a very expensive to maintain and for the cost of a new engine you can almost buy a good 914-6 at 25k. Which is what you must do when the ims fails with no warning or symptoms.

That being said, I love my Boxster. I drive it every day 15k per year. My annual cost tires and repair costs runs 3-5k. However it is really nice to have AC and heat. Did I mention I still have my Porsche grin :-). You will love the pull in second!!

Regards

James
biosurfer1
James, I agree. I saw post after post about how the IMS problem wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. I guarantee Porsche wouldn't issue a recall on 10 year old cars if there wasn't a lot of truth to the claims.
jdlmodelt
IMS?
j
Any year worse than others?
jdlmodelt
found a site stating that the 2003 and newer models are more problematic. I am looking a the base model. Maybe this model would be less abused?

"I guarantee Porsche wouldn't issue a recall on 10 year old cars if there wasn't a lot of truth to the claims." My .02 cents. Over the years, Porsche has lost their way in producing a great product. The bean counter has taken over. Thus they have become the most profitable car mfg in the world. They only offer a recall. ..if they are forced too! There's another potential recall in the works regarding the coolant fitting on the 996 model years . Yes it also includes the 997 /991 too. CHECK NTSA website. ..it sort of reminds me of the Toyota settlement

bigkensteele
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jul 29 2013, 05:09 PM) *

James, I agree. I saw post after post about how the IMS problem wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. I guarantee Porsche wouldn't issue a recall on 10 year old cars if there wasn't a lot of truth to the claims.

Did they issue a recall? confused24.gif
PanelBilly
Keep the 914 and by a SL500. Air, heat and your wife will love the ride. No back seat means you only carry one passenger.
jdlmodelt
okay. how about a Honda S2000?
chad newton
Get an s, that's what I'm going to get. I'm keeping the 914 though.
Rand
Oof. May as well just get a Miata. Smarter bang for buck and similar man factor.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 29 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I have a second 1976 914 project car, complete. That makes it easier for me to let the 72 go. I figure the Boxster S is a more abused model with the added horse power.

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jul 29 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Did they issue a recall? confused24.gif

Yes they settled out of court.....with majority of the judgement going towards Porsche.
With the 996 on cars, theirs something like 6/8 coolant line that were 'glued' ...thus coming loose / separated while your driving. Other than possibly blowing up the motor, cars behind might run over the coolant and crash...PCA and other clubs will NOT allow your car on track unless this potential issue's been address......BUT their RACE cars all have welded coolant fittings...Porsche bean counters -way too go!
FYI
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jul 29 2013, 06:41 PM) *

Since you live in Ski Country USA, I would look at a New Subaru WRX STI, 305 HP and four wheel drive.
jesiv
I have not heard of a recall but I did receive legal papers to opt in or out of the class action settlement. The settlement doesn't really apply as cars that have been in service for ten years or more are for all practical purposes excluded from the settlement. My engine hasn't failed and I replaced my ims bearing with the LN version a couple of years ago. I just couldn't sleep at night with that ticking time bomb. I keep my oil changed and maintain it very aggressively. I have 93k and just drove it to San Diego two weeks ago. It sure is a nice high speed cruising car. The faster I drove the better my gas mileage was with the 6th gear.
I am debating what I am going to do as far as keeping the car. I am not sure a 100+k miles Boxster makes good economic sense with the cost of suspension and engine work in the not too distant future...

Regards

James
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 29 2013, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jul 29 2013, 06:41 PM) *

Since you live in Ski Country USA, I would look at a New Subaru WRX STI, 305 HP and four wheel drive.

yep, nice car as well. I'm enjoying the look of the Porsche Boxster.
patssle
I bought my 914 4 years ago as a 2nd car to my Mazda 3. Starting investing into the /6 conversion parts while some people told me to buy a Boxster instead. 4 months ago I sold my Mazda and bought a 2000 S while the 914 is on jackstands.

Sure the Boxster is faster, more powerful, more modern, A/C and all the goodies - but a couple weeks after driving it I took my 914 out for one last spin....it sure put a smile on my face despite the pathetic 70hp motor.

I will never get rid of my 914 despite whatever else I have. It's such a unique car you just can't replace that experience.

Up to 2000 model - it has dual row IMS. Less than 1% failure....drive it. 2001 and later...single row. Add in a couple grand for the IMS upgrade if you want peace of mind.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 29 2013, 08:35 PM) *

I bought my 914 4 years ago as a 2nd car to my Mazda 3. Starting investing into the /6 conversion parts while some people told me to buy a Boxster instead. 4 months ago I sold my Mazda and bought a 2000 S while the 914 is on jackstands.

Sure the Boxster is faster, more powerful, more modern, A/C and all the goodies - but a couple weeks after driving it I took my 914 out for one last spin....it sure put a smile on my face despite the pathetic 70hp motor.

I will never get rid of my 914 despite whatever else I have. It's such a unique car you just can't replace that experience.

Up to 2000 model - it has dual row IMS. Less than 1% failure....drive it. 2001 and later...single row. Add in a couple grand for the IMS upgrade if you want peace of mind.

so are you saying 2001 or older Porsche boxster?
patssle
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jul 29 2013, 06:40 PM) *

Depends...to clarify. Also - you can get low mileage pre-2001 Boxsters. I bought my 45k 2000 S in mint condition for $18,000 4 months ago.

Up to 2000 model - it has dual row IMS. Less than 1% failure....drive it.

2001 and later - it has single row with ~10% failure. Drive it or add in a couple grand for the IMS upgrade if you want peace of mind.
r_towle
I would buy an early 911 and replace the ims on that.
The car will retain value...
So a 1998 or later 911

If you are really focused on a Baxter, I would suggest you budget 3k to have someone do the ims bearing, rear main seal and clutch....cause you re in there.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 29 2013, 08:42 PM) *

Depends...to clarify. Also - you can get low mileage pre-2001 Boxsters. I bought my 45k 2000 S in mint condition for $18,000 4 months ago.

2001 and later - it has single row with ~10% failure. Drive it or add in a couple grand for the IMS upgrade if you want peace of mind.

thanks. that is worth a couple grand.
jdlmodelt

what is the power difference between the 2.5l 97-99 or the 2.7l 200-2002?
doorknobcollector
agree.gif

I have a 2006 Boxster S in addition to the teener, and it is quick, quiet, and a blast to drive on long trips to boot. That being said, it doesn't give you the same thrill as working the sloppy shifter and 80 hp in my 914; all while people give you a thumbs up because it is the only one in town (and they have no idea what it is).

When looking for my Boxster, I read the IMS failure was a real possibility in all the Boxsters/S's as well as almost all 996s. Correct me if somebody has facts, but nobody can tell how many actually went out and totaled the car because Porsche will not release the data. I am pretty sure the class action lawsuit relied on asking owners for anecdotal evidence of failures. They even have an advertisement in this month's Panorama to join the lawsuit...

If I were you I would budget for a new IMS bearing, just search Jake Raby's ramblings on the subject for an expert opinion. Other than the threat of impending doom at any second from an IMS, I think they are great cars...
chad newton
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jul 29 2013, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 29 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I have a second 1976 914 project car, complete. That makes it easier for me to let the 72 go. I figure the Boxster S is a more abused model with the added horse power.

I also know a guy that makes all fiberglass for them including a hard top. I think they are bad a$$. Basically a modernized 914 even if some guy don't want to admit it. I'm sure I will get some heat about that but it dosnt bother me. Mid engine, affordable, and are fun to drive.
Rand
Wait for it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpuDZZyrToM
jesiv
The problem as I see it with the Boxster vs the 914. When you replace/rebuild the engine in a 914 you can basically recoup your cost. When the engine blows in a Boxster you are not even close. IMHO

I do agree the same year 911 will hold value better than the Boxster

Regards

James
JRust
Buy an S with a blown motor cheap. Then throw an LS1 in it's place drooley.gif . Hell yeah is what comes to mind for me piratenanner.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 29 2013, 09:30 PM) *

Buy an S with a blown motor cheap. Then throw an LS1 in it's place drooley.gif . Hell yeah is what comes to mind for me piratenanner.gif

Yup!LS series... the cure for the common cold! beerchug.gif Then you can drive it 10 years and just enjoy it! Oh, and the 360-400hp+ is a cool upgrade. evilgrin.gif
chad newton

That would be cool. I would put something better then that in it. I wonder what upgrades would have to be done to handle a 600-700hp small block???
jesiv
QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 29 2013, 10:00 PM) *

That would be cool. I would put something better then that in it. I wonder what upgrades would have to be done to handle a 600-700hp small block???

You guys are thinking 1970s 914. In CA you can't do those things especially with smog visual inspections which by the way are difficult to have do at most smog shops they don't know how to access the engine compartment

Regards

James
euro911
Subi SVX transplant aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
I just sold my 2000 Boxster with 202,000 miles on it. Ran great and still does, new owner is loving it. Beware of the extremely low miled garage queen Boxster, unless you plan to replace the IMS. Find one that has been driven regularly and preferrably HARD. They love to be abused.
corsepervita
I drove a second gen boxster, specifically "Porsche Rescue" had one and he let me drive it. They are a fantastic car and it was a ton of fun to drive.

That said, in terms of daily driving, I love my 911SC and it is really easy to work on. Although now that I feel like I'm slowly getting the hang of working on the 914, I think I'll be driving it a lot more.

Although for creature comforts, if the car was up on maintenance and in good shape and needed nothing for a while, it would be hard to turn down a 2nd or later generation boxster. Those heated seats... so comfortable. And to be honest, I was so skeptical because it wasn't a manual but a tiptronic. Surprisingly it shifted quite quickly, felt great and was just a blast to drive around.

So many different models to choose from and so many good cars that Porsche has made. It's hard to really just like one in particular. I love them all. Except the 944, I hated working on that thing, but loved driving it.
DRPHIL914
IMS issue aside, i bought my 914 5 years ago, but 18 months ago bought the 2001 Boxster S and really love it. mine is speed yellow, - paid $12,500, it had 60k miles on it and looked(still does) brand new. - oh, and the P.O. ordered it with over $10k worth of options!

It now has 80k and i have enjoyed every mile of driving it. several really long trips, averages 29mpg @78mph interstate driving. Other wise is my daily driver. and since we live in the south i never drive the 914 due to the heat in the summer, so very nice to have the A/C, and there are fun things you can do, upgrading wise- exhaust, performance chip etc etc. Mine has not requried really any work other than pads, new tires, a new Oil/air separator($130) and a new ignition switch($99). I did get the SS sport cat. headers($800) because one of my o2 sensors went bad($100) and the cat was pretty bad shape. also i paid $1200 for a mint condition hard top, but with all that. its a lot less than i put in my 914 the first 2 years i had it! Oh, and NO RUST PROBLEM!!!!

look around there are some great deals. If i had the budget i would not hesitate to buy a new one either. personally i think the new 2014 boxster is one of the best designed cars porsche has today (but then i never really was all that excited about the 911 design).

all that said, i still have my 914 too, but that is a different issue. i bought it as a drivable project and that is what it is.

also, once you find one, get a PPI(pre-purchase-inspection) from a known independant porsche mechanic - have it all gone over - i paid for 2 on cars i passed on , i was not close enough to go see the cars easily - this save me trouble and $$.

Happy Hunting--
JRust
QUOTE(jesiv @ Jul 29 2013, 10:13 PM) *

You guys are thinking 1970s 914. In CA you can't do those things especially with smog visual inspections which by the way are difficult to have do at most smog shops they don't know how to access the engine compartment

Regards

James

A LS1 motor can pass emisions no problem. You can transplant any motor. It just has to meet the emisions of that particular motor. It is very doable but you need to document it & keep all the 02 sensors incorporated in. You can even have muplitple maps. One for Emisions testing & one for the rest of the time evilgrin.gif
jesiv
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 30 2013, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jesiv @ Jul 29 2013, 10:13 PM) *

Regards

James

A LS1 motor can pass emisions no problem. You can transplant any motor. It just has to meet the emisions of that particular motor. It is very doable but you need to document it & keep all the 02 sensors incorporated in. You can even have muplitple maps. One for Emisions testing & one for the rest of the time evilgrin.gif

Not trying to be negative. i thought the orientation of the engine was a factor as well. Also the engine must same year or newer. Along with everything else you mentioned to pass smog. Whereas a <= 1975 914 doesn't require any smog :-)

To your point I am sure it can be done but the idea of working wit CARB doesn't sound like any fun.

Regards

James

Regards

James
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 30 2013, 12:17 AM) *

HA!
This is the same way they treated 914s for decades until they became classics...

Boxsters are spiritually linked to 914s.

Don't trade the 72, just get the Boxster as well.
Dr Evil
In CA the engine must be the same year as the vehicle or newer and be up to the smog standards of the engine. Huge PITA. You will need a reff to clear any conversion '76 and newer.
Andyrew
^Not that difficult for a 99 boxster to get a 2000 bone stock LS1 unit and run the exhaust to a set of cats...

Same with a 911 with the newer LS engines.. (That one I've been thinking about for a couple of years now... )
EdwardBlume
Get a Honda Civic, tint the windows for extra power, and don't forget to lower it. av-943.gif
jdlmodelt

I purchased a 1999 base model Porsche Boxster. It has 58.5kMiles on it. In 2008 with 37kmiles the engine was replaced with a new factory Porsche engine. The 1999 model shows a 2.5l engine. The replacement engine invoice shows a 2.7l. how do I know what engine I have? How do I know if I have a single or double row IMS since the engine was replaced in 2008?
cheers!
bshounen
the boxster in my 2nd fav porsche but the 914 is king. dont do it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.