Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for muffler ideas for my conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I'm trying to figure out a muffler configuration for my carbed 3.2L six conversion.

I like the looks of the megaphones/cookie cutters on the Porsche race cars.

However, they are impractical for street use (too loud) and you lose some bottom end power.

So... any ideas on another muffler type that can give me the look, be quiet enough to not get ticketed, and not sacrifice the street-drivability?

Fire away....
Bleyseng
How about a SSI muffler and put Brad to work!

Geoff
rick 918-S
Ya Brad, Get to work ya slacker! lol2.gif
campbellcj
What I ended up doing (so far) is a set of cookie-cutter 18" European Racing Headers megaphones for unrestricted track use, and a SS Dansk 2-in/2-out gutted sport muffler for slightly muffled use. I may also need to get a stock-type 2-in/1-out sausage, or a quiet (50-series?) Flowmaster or other setup, for noise-restricted use. My car would have a hard time passing noise regs at a place like Laguna, even with a stock sausage muffler. The carbs and fan noise alone are substantial. (I am keeping the stock airbox around just in case; I thought about selling/trading it, but that might be a bad idea.)
tesserra
In my v8 914 car we put in two glass packs where the original muffler was. They are stacked and hung on to the trans. The left side of the engine comes back goes across the rear of the car and exits out of the right side, and the right side comes back and exits out of the left. It all fits very well and I put 911 type exhaust tips,so it looks clean. The mufffler shop guy said he has installed a flowmaster muffler for a Camero application in 914s and it works well also. You could also install flanges so you can r and r your megaphones on track days.
Good luck
Tesserra
si2t3m
I'm running a 2in/3out muffler, something like they had on the rally cars. It's actually a 2in/1out muffler that was modified to add the 2 sport muffler exits and modification to the internal baffles.

I have caps for the 2 sport pipes, so i can quiet it down if i want. I'm running it uncapped for now as my wife says that it doesn't sound like it should with the caps on (and i listen to what she says!!!)

In the 2k to 3k rpm rang, there is a low resonance that fills the cabin. I kinda like it. I usually dont step on it around my place so no complaints. It is pretty civilized above 3k rpm and you can hold a conversation on the highway (speak loud).

Once you get on the go pedal, it screams! Like the way it should!!!

I was running this exact when i had the 2.2. The sound was way different. It sounded more like a airplane with the 2.2. With the 3.0L it's more of a deep rumble than a high pitch sound.

HTH

Marc-André
nomore4
How about a pair of Super Trapps?? Not the ultimate for making power but sure looks cool. aktion035.gif
brant
I was asking questions and researching some of this a couple of weeks back. Brad and a number of people were recommending the dual in/dual out Camaro flowmaster with modifications.

I chose not to go this route due to the weight and that I wanted a track only muffler....

But, I also went and listened to a friend using this set up on a track car. Its sweet. Sounds great. Sounds way better than the other 12 911's I compared it to. Its pretty affordable too. I would definitely look into this for a street car.
TimT
I have supertraps on my 914/3.2, there ok, and the noise police buy it when you tell them you will adjust the disks..
TimT
I am getting a set of mufflers like these, Coast, Burns, even pegasus have mufflers like these. They look really clean and cool with a nice set of spaghetii headers beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.