Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealing the front cowl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I currently do not have a fresh air box, but would like to keep water from running into my trunk during a rain or carwash. Any ideas as to how to tastefully seal the front grill? I'm considering maybe a plate underneath, sealed with silicone. Suggestions?

Thanks
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 31 2013, 06:34 PM) *

I currently do not have a fresh air box, but would like to keep water from running into my trunk during a rain or carwash. Any ideas as to how to tastefully seal the front grill? I'm considering maybe a plate underneath, sealed with silicone. Suggestions?

Thanks

Tastefully... Weld and paint.

Or, put the fresh air box back in

Or, I once used polyurethane tape on the top to seal it temporarily.
Jeff Hail

Thanks

Weld it up! One less place to leak.

r_towle
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 31 2013, 09:34 PM) *

Thanks

make a box about 3/4 inches deep, rectangular.
Put a drain in the corner and run the drain hose like the original, down under the gas tank and to the ground.

Rich
ericoneal
I may give that a try as welding is not an option. I will need to remove the gas tank to run the drain line, right?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2013, 08:53 AM) *

Thanks

make a box about 3/4 inches deep, rectangular.
Put a drain in the corner and run the drain hose like the original, down under the gas tank and to the ground.

Rich

r_towle
no, you should be able to slide a hose about 3/4 inch diameter behind and down through the round hole at the bottom specifically for the drain hose from the original box.

The hold is towards the middle of the car in relationship to the big ass hole you can put your hand into underneath...

If I recall correctly, you can flick the hose into that hole via the large hole.
Rich
r_towle
BTW, this is not my original idea...there is a thread here with pictures, and lots of details...

All you have to do is find it.

ericoneal
No luck searching.. Search tool on this site is very sensitive...

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2013, 12:47 PM) *

BTW, this is not my original idea...there is a thread here with pictures, and lots of details...

All you have to do is find it.

TheCabinetmaker
Heres a better sarch engine for ya.

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...772:ajvfxschcgc
ThePaintedMan
I have way too many other projects, but eventually I was thinking of doing something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77otHE8peA

Saw one on a fastback a few years ago and liked it.
ericoneal
Now you've done it! I am going to make on of these...

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 1 2013, 04:36 PM) *

I have way too many other projects, but eventually I was thinking of doing something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77otHE8peA

Saw one on a fastback a few years ago and liked it.

barefoot

Thanks

When I got my car, it had no air box but was sealed off with a stainless plate underneath. I'm adding air box and all the other stuff.
You can have my plate for $10, it's very well made.
Barefoot
ericoneal
THanks. I considered the stainless steel route, but I was able to pick up some Plexiglass at Lowes today. The cut it for me and let me have it for free since it was so small. Next I'm going to get some wingnuts (and weather strip) and secure it like the video above, but will probably only do that in rain or washing.
Will post pictures when finished.

QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 4 2013, 06:49 PM) *

Thanks

When I got my car, it had no air box but was sealed off with a stainless plate underneath. I'm adding air box and all the other stuff.
Barefoot

dfelz
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 4 2013, 03:49 PM) *

Thanks

Barefoot

Got any pictures? may be interested?..
7TPorsh
wish there was something for the rear side grills...
7TPorsh
Does anyone know the name of this type of fastener?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RdvFbg9ykM

914forme
Dzus Fasteners they are sold all over the place.Ebay They set in at different depths so make sure you get the proper ones as your cowl setup will be deeper than holding two 22 ga piece of sheet metal together.
7TPorsh
I'm thinking of making one of these for the teener out of thin gauge steel or aluminum. Pinted the color of the car.

I don't have heat or air and just get whistling air sounds on the freeway.

SirAndy
Suggestions?

Duct tape in body color ... rolleyes.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2013, 04:30 PM) *

Suggestions?

Duct tape in body color ... rolleyes.gif

.....with duct tape, Juicy Fruit gum foil wrapper, ball of twine, a string of mig wire and a pocket nail clipper you can save the world and quite possibly finish Daytona!
barefoot
QUOTE(dfelz @ Aug 4 2013, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 4 2013, 03:49 PM) *

Thanks

Barefoot

Got any pictures? may be interested?..

Sorry I hadn't been back to this thread fro a while, here's some photos. Shinny side goes up, bolts into front flange, piece of thick form at rear stuck under wiper cross bar held back tight.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
warrenoliver
Why not cut a piece of magnet backed vinyl and put it over the grill? You can get it in any color you like. The same material as stick on numbers for AX racers. That stuff sticks pretty well and can be easily removed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.