Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who can approve new club items?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mharrison
I've got a guy who can make us some club shirts. I've suggested the logo from the 914world.com window stickers on the chest (where the pocket would go)
PIC REMOVED

and this logo on the back:
PIC REMOVED

Does an admin or somebody need final approval on club items? I'm not trying to make any money or step on anybody's toes. I just bought a t-shirt like in the picture and thought we might be able to make some cool t-shirts for the club.

-Matt
Mueller
nice shirt....where can I (and everyone else) buy one??? smile.gif
mharrison
Well, I want to wait and see if it's OK with the admins. I guess they're the 914world.com owners/operators/presidents etc....

If they are ok with it, I'll get some further info from the printer and post purchase instructions and a price.

With just black, (one color logo) it will of course be cheaper than a multi-color, but he can do either.

BTW, the guy is a 914 owner! He's got a Chevy V-6 conversion. I told him about the board and hope to see him on here!

-Matt
McMark
We're trying to get the eCommerce setup as quick as possible so that we can sell items like this through the club site. MY INTERPRETATION of how things have worked so far is that if it says 914Club, or is a promotion of 914Club then it's "restricted". If it's just 914 related in general it's not restricted. But let a few more people chime in. I don't pretend to actually be in charge of anything. biggrin.gif
mharrison
I don't have a problem with just hooking up this guy and whoever has the authority to distribute this stuff. I just think it would be a cool shirt.

If you are the person who can distribute this stuff please chime in.
neo914-6
I see those shirts (sans 914club) on eBay frequently : shirt
How much would the pocket screen add?
Felix
mharrison
I don't have any prices from the supplier yet, but he indicated that it wouldn't take much to add the logo to the front.

Still waiting on the powers that be to approve/decline/or take charge of this.

-Matt
GWN7
If it's the same guy, I think he's a member here already. Got some shirts off of him last year.
mharrison
BTW, I bought one of those shirts and it was well done, delivered promptly, and looks GREAT! It was done on a nice thick Jerzees brand t-shirt.

I love it, and that's what got me started on this idea.
ws91420
You need to contact Brad Roberts or seanery. Brad is working on e commerce and seanery is handling the hats. type.gif
Dr Evil
I'd be interested. I am glad to hear tha they are thick shirts. I hate people looking at my nipples through my shirt. mad.gif
anthony
We're trying to get the eCommerce setup as quick as possible so that we can sell items like this through the club site.

I've been hearing about this ecommerce thing for over a year now. A few months ago the ecommerce site was 'a couple weeks' away. Everybody who has wanted to make tshirts has been told to hold off on t-shirts so they can be sold through the ecommerce site. It bites that there hasn't had a club t-shirt (other than WCC (which I didn't get in my size) or FFC) since the site first started.
McMark
That's because it takes a long time to set up something like eCommerce. Especially when you are writing all the software from scratch. Make that, when you have one and only one volunteer coder writing the software from scratch. These things take awhile. We want to do thing once, the right way. We don't want someone inheriting the 914Club and calling us DAPOs. biggrin.gif
Part Pricer
I know that there is at least one lawyer on this forum that will have an opinion on this, but I don't believe that the proper precautions have been taken to protect the name or "logo" from being used elsewhere.

Do we really have an official logo that can be protected? I've seen many variations on a theme but have never witnessed one or many being deemed the official mark that represents the club or site.

Furthermore, I have seen no Terms of Use for any of the content on this site. We are a warm, welcoming, open community but have left ourselves exposed. The only thing saving us is that we are such a small community with such shallow pockets that there is no real value in exploiting us.

Do what you want. Or wait until ecommerce. rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2004, 10:18 PM)
I'd be interested. I am glad to hear tha they are thick shirts. I hate people looking at my nipples through my shirt. mad.gif

Thanks for THAT visual.... barf.gif

BTW...where's my stuff....I'm putting away the knee pads...(private joke)

I believe that the logo is Seanery's and could very easily be trademarked. The image of the 914 is DEFINITELY trademarked/registered by Porsche and you run the risk of a getting a stern letter.

Email Sean on the logo...ignore Porsche as you will likely have a small run and not sell on ebay....
seanery
Actually,
here's the deal on the 914 Club logo.

Jeroen owns the swoosh. It is copywrited (by him).
Any uses of the swoosh need to be approved by Jeroen.
The 914Club name is owned by Brad.
Any uses of the club name need to be approved by Brad.

Brad has appointed me as the apparel guy.
If you have apparel related questions you can ask me.

Thanks.
rhodyguy
the ones with the logo on the front and the gt car on the back, that you made up, were swell. i'm waiting for the e-com to see if those will be offered.

kevin
seanery
those will be offered....screen printed this time, no more heat transfers. barf.gif
rhodyguy
perfect, but i want some yesterday.

kevin
anthony
That's because it takes a long time to set up something like eCommerce. Especially when you are writing all the software from scratch.

Ok, so in the mean time why not just let people make t-shirts instead of making people wait two years??
seanery
why ask why?
try bud dry...
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2004, 10:18 PM)

Ya nipples through a T-shirt are just plain wrong. ON A GUY.
GIRLS however colder the better :mgw: :mgw:
Part Pricer
It's good to see this statement at the bottom of all the pages now.

"All rights reserved 914world.com © 2004"

It wasn't there this morning.
Jeroen
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Dec 7 2004, 08:48 PM)
It's good to see this statement at the bottom of all the pages now.

"All rights reserved 914world.com © 2004"

It wasn't there this morning.

yes it was... it's alway been there...
Bleyseng
It takes soo long to make up these club items its unreal. I made the first run of stickers and club gear bags. The time it took for someone who has a full time job(like most of the club members) is hard to come by. Brad and everyone else who has been involved like to see only really nice quality stuff made too which takes some effort.
Be patient and it will happen.

Geoff
vortrex
this is what I don't get. the site has 2000 members or so, right? this is not a big operation. what is with the "writing code from scratch"? I bought some stuff online from a small home retailer the other day and he had a paypal shop setup. I have never seen that before. the whole order process was seamless and painless.
rhodyguy
it DOES take seed money to produce items. it CAN take a substancial length of time to recoup the intial outlay. when the ecom is up some folks will have a second job seeing to production and shipping of hot items. how many citizens in india do you think it took to implement the site for your recent purchase?

kevin
vortrex
that is exactly the point, someone already made the ecommerce end, so why try to do it again?

and I know it takes time to ship items and such, but I think we are all grown up enough to not whine if it takes a few weeks to receive an item.

if you want to check it out look at http://www.bluejeanscable.com

now, the sellers front end site leaves a little to be desired html wise, but the talent already doing this site could make it look slick like the rest.
Pam
I would hope that if Jereon and Brad are asking that their copyrights be respected , that same level of respect is expected from all club members to all copyrights.

I know that in the past there has been some copyrighted information on this forum and I suspect that information is still available in a less public place. I would assume all copyrighted information has been removed from the 914world.com servers since copyrights now appear to be important rather than something to 'work around'.

Just a thought....

-Pam
rhodyguy
is the program to run the site you provided for illustration a free service?
vortrex
it appears as though all the merchant tools at paypal are free.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_...erchant-outside

there looks to be a lot of useful stuff there.

here is the cost of transactions (up to $3000 a month).

2.9% + $0.30 USD
Part Pricer
Kevin,

That is a free service to PayPal users. It allows you to build a "store" of items that can be added to a shopping cart.

It works well. I can only assume that the club site has needs for a more robust and specialized system. Probably things like actively depleting items from an on-hand inventory and possibly linking your account to your club ID.

Remember how long it took to bring the Classifieds online because of all of the specialized functions? It worked great until it was decided to scrap it.
vortrex
what specialized things would the club need versus any other business using this paypal shopping cart? I honestly cannot think of anything. if the item is out of stock, update the store. if the item is not going to be sold anymore, remove it from the store. I don't think there is anything that will enable you to have a hands off approach to this. I can't see a real benefit to match screenname to the shopping cart.

What are the benefits?
Save time and money with PayPal's hassle-free Shopping Cart:
Easy to implement - no CGI scripting necessary
No up-front costs - you'll have the same low fee schedule used when you receive other PayPal payments
Sell with ease - PayPal maintains detailed transaction records on our website
Improve buyer experience - with customizable buttons and secure payments, happy customers become repeat customers
rhodyguy
paul, if i understand it correctly(i probably don't)... paypal takes their cut on every deal? would that make all transactions a paypal only situation? would in state sales be taxable? i don't see the chieftains giving up control wink.gif , and thats ok with me. personaly, i have no problem providing sellers with a money order.

kevin
Part Pricer
Yes.

For each transaction, PayPay takes 0.30 and 2.9% of the transaction price. So, for a $20 item there would be 0.88 in fees (0.30 + 0.58)

On my merchant account, I have extremely agressive rates because of volume. I pay 0.27 per transaction with a charge of 1.99% of the transaction price. For the same $20 item, I would pay 0.67 in fees (0.27 + 0.40).

However, I have other expenses that are not covered in the fees presented. All in all, PayPal is a good solution for low-volume accounts.

I have to charge sales tax on transactions that are delivered to the state where I "have established business". This is not the state where I live. I guess the same would be true for the club.
McMark
We need a custom shopping cart system to be able to integrate with the existing club site (not send people "off site") and to be able to control the "look and feel". Apparently you're not familiar with how hard it can be to modify something to work the way we need it to. I've been looking at Blog software and there were a few packages that were promising, but in the end it was easier to start scripting my own for all the features I needed to change.

Have you ever started a project thinking it was going to be quick and easy and have it turn out to be more complicated than you expected? That is the case here. Scripting our own eCommerce was the only way we could get all the features we needed.

Have some faith that we looked at the easy solutions first. We do have a clue. <_<
Part Pricer
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Dec 7 2004, 04:09 PM)
Have you ever started a project thinking it was going to be quick and easy and have it turn out to be more complicated than you expected?

We're all 914 owners. Is this a rhetorical question? biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Lots of people complain... nobody helps. We are hand writing the product descriptions.. uploading the content SLOWLY.

Vortrex.. you dont even own a 914 ?? What would you ever buy from us ?

Stop busting our volunteering ASS. I dont see any other site out there doing what we are doing.

The Ecomm will make NO money. It will support one person handling all the transactions and stick money into a 914club account to pay for t-shirts/events and such. Nobody seems to understand that all of this takes time/money neither of which ANY of us have. We all have full time jobs and we all have a boat load of money wrapped up into a bottomless pit (this site). Every single time somebody pisses/moans about anything related to this site... it makes all of us trying to run it F-ING PUKE.

Sean is in control of all apparel related items. Suggest something and it will go through a very short approval/disapproval process. We will NOT put out generic crap. It will be nice and of high quality.

Do it our way or find another place to push the product. Pretty simple.

B
rhodyguy
what you wrote is exactly what i was thinking mark. ot, sooner or later the irs will get hep to the cash changing hands and make people accountable for the flow. paypal will have nice records for them.

kevin
vortrex
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 7 2004, 01:19 PM)
Suggest something and it will go through a very short approval/disapproval process.

LOL, so I guess your bitchy response to me was a disapproval for a suggestion?
vortrex
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 7 2004, 01:20 PM)
what you wrote is exactly what i was thinking mark. ot, sooner or later the irs will get hep to the cash changing hands and make people accountable for the  flow. paypal will have nice records for them.

kevin

I don't get it, so you are suggesting tax evasion? every company on the internet selling crap needs to charge tax to shipments to the state where the business is established. I hardly think using paypal would change this, unless the site is not planning on doing this legit.
rhodyguy
or... figure ...erchant-outside isn't the direction the admins want to go. but i would like a tee shirt, lx, asap please. laugh.gif

kevin
Brad Roberts
How do you guy's spin this stuff out ??

It is not hard to pay taxes. Pretty simple: if we sell it in Ca.. then Ca. people pay sales tax (IF..IF the business is based here)... right now I'm going over paperwork to incorporate in WYOMING.

How about you guy's not worry about how the "business" is going to be run and where ?? It's my ass on the line NOT YOURS. Club Fed doesnt sound to appealing to me.

B
rhodyguy
i sure hope something i've written has'nt pissed you off.
GWN7
I always thought 914world.com was registered to a company in Codrington, Antigua, which shows it is a division of 914club Int. which is registered in Bem, Switzerland to 914club LLb. of Bahana, Togo

(Brad in his spare time sends us all those nice letters offering to share all that found money that is sitting in bank accounts over there)

rolleyes.gif

wacko.gif

beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
No no.. just amazing how things get perceived and spun off in different directions.

B
Part Pricer
psst....Nevada. wink.gif

The corporate rates are low. Doesn't cost much to set things up. The paperwork is not too onerous for when someone in Nevada actually orders something from you. However, there are different tax rates in different counties, so if you have written the software to automatically handle it and charge the proper tax rate it is not an issue.

I didn't realize that help was needed. I can write descriptions about hats and t-shirts if you need me to. I don't do stickers though. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
i just reread the poorly worded ref to the irs. i sure didn't mean 914world.com specificly. the skiing is great at jackson hole.

kevin
rhodyguy
believe me paul... no one is doing stickers. so i hope those are NOT included on the ecom. in fact, i request they are NOT listed.

kevin
GWN7
darn I wanted one of these prototype stickers....rare and out of print.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.