Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tips or tricks for removing bezel on dash gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I need to remove the bezel on one of my gauges to do some custom work. Do you have any tips or tricks for removing the bezel with the least amount of damage? The only thing that comes to mind is very carefully use a small thin bladed flat screw driver and work it slowly around the gauge under the lip.
timothy_nd28
I'm currently working on a machine to do just that, but yes a small flat screwdriver gets the job done.
balljoint
Better than a screwdriver, I would recommend making use of a Tim. wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I use a scratch awl (since I have one). Just lay the end under the lip,
and drag it around the gauge slowly. No damage.
Then use the round part of the shaft to roll it back down
GeorgeRud
My guess is that VDO has a machine that crimps the bezels onto the gauge with the idea it's a disposable item that gets replaced when the gauge is repaired.

Anyone have a friend at North Hollywood Speedometer?
toolguy
When putting the bezel back on, I use a hand roller that is suppose to be for installing screen windows beading. . it has a roller with a little groove running down the middle. . . place the grove where you want the bezel to bend and roll it around 'gently'. . . makes a nice consistent curve and will straighten out all the little irregular bends you put in when removing it. .
76-914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 6 2013, 08:56 AM) *

When putting the bezel back on, I use a hand roller that is suppose to be for installing screen windows beading. . it has a roller with a little groove running down the middle. . . place the grove where you want the bezel to bend and roll it around 'gently'. . . makes a nice consistent curve and will straighten out all the little irregular bends you put in when removing it. .

I liked your method of removal using the hose clamp. And this tip for re-installing one is just as good. beerchug.gif
r_towle
Little screw driver.
When all is done, you will never see it.

Don't try to get it all in the first pass or you can kink the edge.
Just go around two or three times in different places to get it all bent up straight.

Tim, if you build a tool, I would love to see what you come up with.

For putting it back on, I would think a large diameter piece of tubing with the correct inside profile, and a rubber mallet would do the trick.
timothy_nd28
Yep, after being shot down by VDO and other gauge repair shops for information on this top secret tool, I decided to make my own.

When I get mine working, I'll post instructions on how to replicate it by supplying pictures and CAD drawings. So tired of this need to know basis, and I need not know bs.gif
r_towle
How about something along the lines of a counter mounted can opener.

The tool sits still, the gauge spins.

A knife type attachment gets under the edge and folds up the edge in one turn.
A set of graduated rollers rolls it back in place.

This might work for all size gauges.

Also, do a patent search....should be able to see some drawings.
Dr Evil
When I was doing gauge repair/customization I used a soup can to put the edge back over. A nice can of tomato paste is easy to manipulate. Make sure it is an unopened can as it is easier to use smile.gif
computers4kids
This is great info...thank you!!
Mark
rnellums
A paint can opener has enough curvature of the blade to fit under the lip, I prefer it to a screw driver.
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
OK...I started to convert an extra 3.25 911 clock for my Ghetty dash using a wideband AEM air fuel gauge. I still need to pickup a lense without a hole. Pelican sells glass ones for $20. Do you think a local glass company can cut one?

Secondly, as you can see I left the clock markings on the faceplate to take-up some of the extra space around the 2" A/F gauge.

Do you think I should leave the markings or paint the faceplate black? I'm concerned that if I paint the faceplate black the 2" gauge will look too small.

Another option would be to design an overlay on the computer for the faceplate. I thought that perhaps I could use a font similar to the stock VDO gauges and label that extra space with markings and labels like, lean, stoich and rich.
Ideas? Suggestions?
timothy_nd28
How did you remove the clock hands?
computers4kids
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 21 2013, 08:41 PM) *

How did you remove the clock hands?

When you remove the bezel, the guts of the clock easily slip out.

Here's the dash I'm trying to have the modified gauge blend into. The clock is on the far right.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.