Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 transmission kaboom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Cupomeat is the talent behind my rebuild DVD not sucking and actually being entertaining AND informative. He did all of the work other than what I did in front of the camera. Wouldnt it be, that the transmission that I rebuilt for his Dad's early 911 would be the first that I have ever seen break a pinion after rebuild. Of course, it was a more rare and expensive 8 toothed pinion as well dry.gif
Click to view attachment

I was a bit confused on how this happened, but it was the obvious failure and matched Meat's description of events.

Tonight I was able to get more personal with the gear stack and soon realized that there was more to this catastrophe. I first noticed that the carrier for 1/R slider was badly galled and chewed up on a face that should not have any wear:
Click to view attachment

Then I looked at what it rested against, the 1st gear race and bearing. Holy shit. The bearing fused and locked up first. Oddly enough, 1st did not break and the pinion did. This may be because the pinion is weaker having more teeth than our 7 toothed variety. Strange stuff. No idea why this happened.
Click to view attachment

I had to beat the gear off of the race, which looked like this:
Click to view attachment

I still have not been able to get the pinion out. I will have to cut the race as it is all kinds of messed up as was the end of the pinion. What a crazy failure. I am glad that this was the only I have seen in a rebuild in 10 years. I have found others in cores, but these were neglected cores.

Gonna need some parts smile.gif
Dr Evil
1- not my fault.
2- I was sober. bootyshake.gif
Dr Evil
1- not my fault.
scotty b
Hack dry.gif I'm getting Erc the 3rd (Wills) to rebuild my trannies from now on mad.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2013, 07:13 PM) *

1- not my fault.

You can say that again...

I think next time, you should start drinking before you start building, then.

--DD
oldschool
drunk.gif av-943.gif ....I have a cool DVD you can have. slap.gif
bulitt
One failure in a decade and y'all throw the Doc under the bus? Whats wrong with you guys?

Um, Doc...you don't perform surgery do you??? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I cut people, for work smile.gif Is good fun.
Chris H.
Looks like classic Fetzer Valve failure. Nothing you can do about that.

Dr Evil
The springly sprocket encabulated. I just need to realign the eddy current transfuser and it will be fine.
Can the above mishap be caused by incorrect tolerance during rebuild and or wrong gear oil?
Dr Evil
Yes, but these were not factors encountered with this rebuild and run.
Woody
Doc is slipping in his old age. hitfan[1].gif
bulitt
Yes, but he is now proficient at split rail fence building smash.gif and diaper changing! hissyfit.gif
Dr Evil
Fences, no. Diapers..... I can change a diaper like the guys change tires in the pit. air tools!
Woody
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2013, 11:17 AM) *

Fences, no. Diapers..... I can change a diaper like the guys change tires in the pit. air tools!

sounds messy. stromberg.gif
r_towle
Yes, but have you been pissed on yet while changing.....rights of passage
Dr Evil
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2013, 02:47 PM) *

Yes, but have you been pissed on yet while changing.....rights of passage

Well, ya.

Oh, while changing diapers. Ya.
r_towle
Face or did you catch it in time?

Cupomeat
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2013, 10:57 AM) *

The springly sprocket encabulated. I just need to realign the eddy current transfuser and it will be fine.

Its all ball bearings these days...
tomeric914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 7 2013, 09:55 AM) *

I don't see how any transmission in your Dad's hands can fail. He doesn't rev it past 2500 RPM. Might as well drive a tractor. yellowsleep[1].gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 7 2013, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 7 2013, 09:55 AM) *

I don't see how any transmission in your Dad's hands can fail. He doesn't rev it past 2500 RPM. Might as well drive a tractor. yellowsleep[1].gif

av-943.gif
Dr Evil
Well, the stack has been rebuilt. I think I found the initiating failure, the inner race on the large pinion bearing was missing some pieces in the inner radius....I forgot to get a pic dry.gif With this failing it placed side load on the first gear needle bearing and that seized, froze, and the pinion was broken. There was no indication that this was a risk, but that is why nothing can ever be called 100% reliable. Interesting and only took time and parts to fix. I hope to have this all buttoned up for delivery this weekend smile.gif
Dr Evil
More gore. I noted that the ring gear lost teeth, and the side cover has a nice crack in it.

I was thinking I could advertize the R/P as a special, lightened, race set like AA does rolleyes.gif

If you look at the center of the diff, you can see the time bomb style setup where that bar is held in place with bolt nipples that wear off and that rod shoots out with amazing destructive force. I modified it last night with the upgraded style we have in our 914 boxes where the rod is kept in place with a keeper and pin.
Bartlett 914
It is kind of an chicken or the egg problem. Once some metal comes loose all hell breaks loose. This makes it difficult to say exactly where the damage started. It looks to me like the pinion depth was set wrong. You can see wear pattern on the outer rim of the ring gear. So much stress on the outer portion of the gear could have caused a tooth or part of a tooth to break off. Once floating around inside....KaBoom
Dr Evil
I disagree. The pinion depth was correct, but it becomes incorrect then the pinion moves due to a failed int plt bearing. At that point it will still run but time is counting down. Then the 1st bearing seizes, the pinion stops, the ring does not, and teeth are ripped out of both and chewed up by the ring and diff bearings. A thorough autopsy and deep understanding of how these things work makes ones hypothesis about the chain of events very likely and probable.
76-914
Is that a Tobacco pipe I see in that pic, Herr Doctor? Do you smoke tobacco in the same house that your family resides? Say it ain't so, Doc.
Dr Evil
I smoke a pipe in the garage smoke.gif Dont judge.
DBCooper
Don't judge? What are you talking about? That's why we COME here.
76-914
That's too funny DB av-943.gif not judging you Mike. It was just a flashback. For the 1st 18 years of my life I lived with an O2 tank in my bedroom and carried an inhaler everywhere I went. When I left home at 18 my asthmatic symptoms disappeared. Didn't know about the effects of 2nd hand smoke back then. My concerns came across as a judgement of you. Not my intention! beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 14 2013, 12:06 PM) *

Well, the stack has been rebuilt. I think I found the initiating failure, the inner race on the large pinion bearing was missing some pieces in the inner radius....I forgot to get a pic dry.gif With this failing it placed side load on the first gear needle bearing and that seized, froze, and the pinion was broken. There was no indication that this was a risk, but that is why nothing can ever be called 100% reliable. Interesting and only took time and parts to fix. I hope to have this all buttoned up for delivery this weekend smile.gif

Was the offending bearing replaced with a new one at the time of the rebuild?

If so, who is the manufacturer and are there other choices in buying the bearing?
Just seems we are finding parts that are out there, but are far out of spec, or made inferior to the OEM parts....good to know what to NOT buy.

I ended up getting 5 tie rods for my BMW from a great vendor...none of the males matched the female...
He had to send the whole pallet back...they were ALL wrong.

rich
Dr Evil
No offense taken. I thought you were just poke.gif at me.

Mustache, no the bearing was not replaced as it was perfectly serviceable. No, there are no other vendors to go to. The replacements have now eclipsed $330 and have been back ordered from Germany.
Cupomeat
I'd just like to say that Mike errr. Dr. Evil is awesome.

beerchug.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 16 2013, 08:48 AM) *

I'd just like to say that Mike errr. Dr. Evil is awesome.

beerchug.gif

dry.gif
Dr Evil
Dont be jealous, Woody.
worn
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 15 2013, 07:56 AM) *

I disagree. The pinion depth was correct, but it becomes incorrect then the pinion moves due to a failed int plt bearing. At that point it will still run but time is counting down. Then the 1st bearing seizes, the pinion stops, the ring does not, and teeth are ripped out of both and chewed up by the ring and diff bearings. A thorough autopsy and deep understanding of how these things work makes ones hypothesis about the chain of events very likely and probable.

I can't believe you said autopsy. C'mon, you must have had medical words drilled into you somewhere along the line. poke.gif At best it would have to be necropsy: except you say it ain't quite dead. To quote a Python "Not dead yet!"

I was noticing the needle bearings of the first gear bearing and how they are slanted. Might one of them been missing from that bearing? Pro'ly not, but that looks squeezed real tight.
ClayPerrine
Hey Doc!

I am in the middle of my gearbox out of my six conversion. About a month back, it started making some nasty noises at the last AX. When I pulled it apart, it had taken a few teeth off the pinion gear.

Click to view attachment

No real damage to the ring gear, though.

Well, today I was replacing the pinion gear, and found this.

Click to view attachment

That's what is left of the $305.00 pinion shaft intermediate plate bearing. And it explains why the pinion gear moved to Arkansas.

So you are not alone. It happens. This stuff is 40 years old, and the parts just break.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.