Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Condenser and timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
--axel--
Anybody ever had an issue where the condenser is in the way of rotating the dizzy for timing?
I changed out the coil, condenser, plugs, wires, etc. on my 76. When I went to set the timing, the condenser was positioned such that when rotating the dizzy, the condenser would hit the nearby metal, and not allow the dizzy to rotate far enough.
I grabbed the old condenser and noticed that the PO had drilled a new hole through the attaching plate to allow the condenser to be mounted higher (thereby eliminating this issue).
I'm wondering if the dizzy shaft is off a couple of teeth.
I also can't seem to locate the timing marks on the fan (don't know if this is related).
Any other ideas?
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. Drive could be off. Where is the # 1 plug wire at if twelve o'clock is the front of the Car? Carb or fi?
--axel--
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 5 2013, 06:46 PM) *

Yes. Drive could be off. Where is the # 1 plug wire at if twelve o'clock is the front of the Car? Carb or fi?

#1 plug on dizzy is at 10:30.
Car is stock FI
timothy_nd28
Here's one idea, get rid of the condenser and get one of these

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
That sounds about right. Where is the condenser mounted?
It should be on the aft mount screw on the vacuum can
--axel--
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 5 2013, 06:59 PM) *

That sounds about right. Where is the condenser mounted?
It should be on the aft mount screw on the vacuum can

It is attached to the dizzy at the 1:30 position.
r_towle
you may have gotten the wrong condenser for a 1.8 versus the 2.0 liter.
The mounting is backwards for one of them...cant recall which one.

Rich
--axel--
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2013, 07:40 PM) *

Rich

Didn't realize there was a difference. This one came as a part of the super ignition kit for a 76 from PP. The part number matches their online spec for a 2.0 instead (not 1.8). It is the 311-905-295C-14
r_towle
still wrong...

Cap'n Crusty knows the exact bosch number.

or call John at GPR for the right part.

There are more than a few condensors. all work, but not all fit correctly.

rich
eyesright
Okay, that explains it....I got points and condenser from O'Reilly's. The condenser wire won't stretch to the rear vacuum advance screw! Mount it to the front screw and the dizzy won't rotate! Arrgh! I think I mounted it under the cap clip finally, just anywhere I could, but scratching my head and wondering.

(Runs fine, got 37 mpg on last week's 2000 mile shakedown cruise. I'll give a rundown in a couple of days.)

Nice to tune in to someplace where you can find answers to life's puzzles.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(eyesright @ Aug 6 2013, 06:43 AM) *

Okay, that explains it....I got points and condenser from O'Reilly's. The condenser wire won't stretch to the rear vacuum advance screw! Mount it to the front screw and the dizzy won't rotate! Arrgh! I think I mounted it under the cap clip finally, just anywhere I could, but scratching my head and wondering.

(Runs fine, got 37 mpg on last week's 2000 mile shakedown cruise. I'll give a rundown in a couple of days.)

"O'Reillys"? For sure you got junk parts that don't fit. A 914 owner has NO business being in a chain auto parts (I use that descriptor loosely) store. They have NOTHING, except maybe for motor oil, that is right for your car. Nothing! They sell cheap crap to a clientelle that equates value with low price.

The Cap'n
--axel--
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 6 2013, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(eyesright @ Aug 6 2013, 06:43 AM) *

"O'Reillys"? For sure you got junk parts that don't fit. A 914 owner has NO business being in a chain auto parts (I use that descriptor loosely) store. They have NOTHING, except maybe for motor oil, that is right for your car. Nothing! They sell cheap crap to a clientelle that equates value with low price.

The Cap'n

So what is the correct part number since the one from PP apparently doesn't fit properly?
Drums66
QUOTE(--axel-- @ Aug 5 2013, 08:59 PM) *

Rich

Didn't realize there was a difference. This one came as a part of the super ignition kit for a 76 from PP. The part number matches their online spec for a 2.0 instead (not 1.8). It is the 311-905-295C-14

....That is the # for 1.7 & 2.0 idea.gif
bye1.gif
--axel--
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 6 2013, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(--axel-- @ Aug 5 2013, 08:59 PM) *

Rich

....That is the # for 1.7 & 2.0 idea.gif
bye1.gif

So back to the original question, why does it block the dizzy/can from turning so I can set the timing if it is the correct condenser?
r_towle
You got the wrong part, with a number that has superseded the old part number.btdt.

Call
John at GPR, the advertisement at the top left of this screen.
He will have one shipped out to you that will fit.

It will take less time than typing.
bperry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 6 2013, 10:32 AM) *

The Cap'n

Oh please.... What a bunch of hyperboli.

There are many useful things available from the FLAPs for our cars.
Here are just a few:
- butyl tape for repairing rear window seal
- tripple square for CV joints.
- vacuum/fuel lines
- Hose clamps (and I'm not talking about the cheap worm gear type)
- stainless brake tubing for DIY tunnel fuel line replacement
- brake speed bleeder screws
- wiper blades
- Battery
- brake resevoir cap

Even HomeDepot has a few items that can be used on our cars
like a chrome plug for the tow hole in the rear bumber
or a black corrogated tubing that is really close the original drain tubing.

--- bill
stugray
A 914 owner has NO business being in a chain auto parts (I use that descriptor loosely) store

That's funny because I got the "right" throttle cable (a Gemo) from Carquest while the one from Pelican was wrong.

The cable from Pelican was assembled backwards with the threaded end on the engine side instead of the pedal end.

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.