Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Optima 34R Red Top battery doesn't fit. Suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
So to much suggestion, I purchased the Optima 34R (size for 914s) Red Top battery. Only it doesn't fit in the tray. Two tabs petruding on both sides extend past the raised edge of the battery tray, not allowing it to sit in place. I know many use this battery. Suggestions on how to remedy? Or get a different size?
JeffBowlsby
They are just tabs, trim them off with a utility knife.
RFoulds
it should fit as is though. maybe a nonstock battery tray? mine always fit easily.
ednosnaws
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Aug 8 2013, 04:59 PM) *

So to much suggestion, I purchased the Optima 34R (size for 914s) Red Top battery. Only it doesn't fit in the tray. Two tabs petruding on both sides extend past the raised edge of the battery tray, not allowing it to sit in place. I know many use this battery. Suggestions on how to remedy? Or get a different size?

I turned over the battery and cut one tab off with a jigsaw using a metal blade.
Harpo
Mine fit fine however I had to make my own bracket to hold the battery down.

DAvid
chad newton
Move it to the front:)
sportlicherFahrer
Trim the tabs a little bit. If you want to secure it correctly, Triad West Performance makes an aluminum plate specifically for the optimas for $26 with hardware. Mine is locked down pretty solid.
TheCabinetmaker
Optima will send you one for free.
SirAndy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 8 2013, 06:38 PM) *

agree.gif

They have a bracket that fits the 914 to hold them down securely.
Got mine for free ...
piratenanner.gif
r_towle
Does cutting the tabs void the warrantee?
tumamilhem
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 8 2013, 10:13 PM) *

Does cutting the tabs void the warrantee?

Yeah, I understand cutting/altering the battery voids the warranty.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 8 2013, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 8 2013, 06:38 PM) *

agree.gif

They have a bracket that fits the 914 to hold them down securely.
Got mine for free ...
piratenanner.gif

How/where did you guys get your brackets and battery trays? Do I just email Optima though their website and request the bracket and tray?
tumamilhem
Now I can't close the damn engine lid. It doesn't clear the rain tray. And I'm not cutting my rain tray. Anybody else have this problem? I do have the right one, right? 34R?
SLITS
Can't tell you. One car I put it in the front trunk and the other car I put it in the rear trunk. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
the optima (johnson controls) hold down they used to send you is called a "Group 78 Adapter". last time i called to inquire about one the person on the other end had no idea what i was talking about.

k
tumamilhem
I cut the tabs off and it fits in the tray now. But the positive terminal still prevents the engine lid from closing all the way. :/
computers4kids
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Aug 9 2013, 06:33 PM) *

I cut the tabs off and it fits in the tray now. But the positive terminal still prevents the engine lid from closing all the way. :/

Sounds like your battery tray was replaced at one time or another and the new one was welded in too high etc..
David J
I've seen these batteries rotated on their side, with the terminals pointing out instead of up. Would that be an option for your situation?
tumamilhem
QUOTE(David J @ Aug 11 2013, 12:13 AM) *

I've seen these batteries rotated on their side, with the terminals pointing out instead of up. Would that be an option for your situation?

Would that effect the battery performance at all? I don't know how I would secure it either.

I think the battery tra y was re-welded too high. I thought even though these batteries are high, there's still plenty of clearance. I'm going to measure the distance in height in this car and my other one. In the meantime, I can shut my lid but it's pushing up that side of the engine lid which could eventually bend the metal. And it's obviously petruding above the rear deck. Damn it.
McMark
I realize you bought the 34R to keep the POS/NEG terminals oriented correctly, but can you rotate the battery and keep the terminals towards the wall? Make sure to get plastic/rubber insulators for your POS terminal.
tumamilhem
I can try that. Yeah that battery is powerful. When I first installed it, I made the mistake of putting the ground on first. Then when I connected the positive, a HUGE spark came out. It welded the turning key on my ratchet shut and blew off a whole side of the positive terminal. Even when I did it correctly the second time, I still got a spark. Not as bad, but still.

Yeah, I'll see if that works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.