Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welding helmut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
except for $100 price difference??
any other helmuts in the $150 price range that are better?
speedglas being a scottyb favorite I believe.
I could get blue flame at harbor freight for $40 but I feel I will regret it sooner than later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-SPEEDGLAS-100V-...=item20b6cdc3ca

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-speedgl...27-p-19494.aspx
Mike Bellis
How much are your eyes worth?

I will only buy a name brand mask. The one I use is a Lincoln. Maybe off brands are OK and I have a false sense of security paying for a known brand.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

Wait till the first time you try welding with a Harbor Freight special and end up with welders flash. Not a big deal... if you don't mind sunburns on your retinas and a couple days without sleep.
76-914
popcorn[1].gif I'd like to know also, Jim. I have the HF one and have done a lot of welding with it w/o flash burn but I've always wondered if I would be able to "see" better with a quality mask. Presently (and remember I'm 62) I need to illuminate the area I am welding to see well enough to watch my "puddle" and I always wonder if a quality mask would change that. Anyone local that would let me try their mask? I'd love to know. Hi-Jack over. welder.gif
sean_v8_914
i like my speedglass. had it for over 10 years. if I get a new helmet, i will get a miller elite with bigger window and better head strap suspension

NO HARBOUR FREIGHT HELMET
sean_v8_914
THE better head strap deal bothers me more than teh need for bigger viewing area
okieflyr
I've been using an Eastwood brand helmet. It was definitely a big step up from the old fixed shade style. I'm sure it's made in China like most cheap ones. I wear reading glasses for better vision of the weld point as well. I've not had any discomfort, but my eyes get checked professionally for other reasons. I'm sure the better helmets have a faster flash reaction time that may or may not be perceivable by some. Real test documentation would be helpful to substantiate the claims.
Mark Henry

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 9 2013, 10:46 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif ..... but I've always wondered if I would be able to "see" better with a quality mask. Presently (and remember I'm 62) I need to illuminate the area I am welding to see well enough to watch my "puddle" and I always wonder if a quality mask would change that. Anyone local that would let me try their mask? I'd love to know. Hi-Jack over. welder.gif

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 9 2013, 11:08 AM) *

I wear reading glasses for better vision of the weld point as well. I've not had any discomfort, but my eyes get checked professionally for other reasons. I'm sure the better helmets have a faster flash reaction time that may or may not be perceivable by some. Real test documentation would be helpful to substantiate the claims.

I use a Lincoln, they come up for sale every so often.
I also use a "cheater glass" you can get them in different powers.

Quick google search found this to show you what a cheater glass is:
http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/merchant..._Code=LNS-MXXXX
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 9 2013, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 9 2013, 10:46 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif ..... but I've always wondered if I would be able to "see" better with a quality mask. Presently (and remember I'm 62) I need to illuminate the area I am welding to see well enough to watch my "puddle" and I always wonder if a quality mask would change that. Anyone local that would let me try their mask? I'd love to know. Hi-Jack over. welder.gif

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 9 2013, 11:08 AM) *

I wear reading glasses for better vision of the weld point as well. I've not had any discomfort, but my eyes get checked professionally for other reasons. I'm sure the better helmets have a faster flash reaction time that may or may not be perceivable by some. Real test documentation would be helpful to substantiate the claims.

I use a Lincoln, they come up for sale every so often.
I also use a "cheater glass" you can get them in different powers.

Quick google search found this to show you what a cheater glass is:
http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/merchant..._Code=LNS-MXXXX

I didn't 'splain this properly. I wear some strong reading glasses when I weld but the view is too dark w/o additional lighting. If I turn it down to "9" so I can see better I end up seeing "stars" when I'm finished.
jimkelly
my wife turned me on to CHEATER GLASSES and wow - now I am seeing stuff I never saw before - this has its pluses and minuses : )

cheaters for the helmet itself - sounds nice.
andys
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 9 2013, 07:46 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif I'd like to know also, Jim. I have the HF one and have done a lot of welding with it w/o flash burn but I've always wondered if I would be able to "see" better with a quality mask. Presently (and remember I'm 62) I need to illuminate the area I am welding to see well enough to watch my "puddle" and I always wonder if a quality mask would change that. Anyone local that would let me try their mask? I'd love to know. Hi-Jack over. welder.gif

I have the same issue; can't see for sh*t (I'm 64). I understand that there are magnifying lenses available, but I haven't checked with my local welding supplier yet. I too have an HF helmet, and bought it only after I checked out the specs. Interestingly, the response time for auto-darkening HF brand was much faster than most name brand helmets. Prior to that, I used a Lincoln fixed lens type.
Only thing I don't like about the auto-darkeing ones, is that you have to be careful when maneuvering around obstructions that could shield the sensor....talk about a nasty surprise!

Andys
jimkelly
guess speedglas at $154, minus $40 rebate, $114 total, is it
http://store.cyberweld.com/3mspweheiceh.html

I do see that miller has 9.22 viewing area vs speedglas 6.05 sq in - link
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MILLER-EL...0130809154327:s

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 9 2013, 07:51 AM) *

THE better head strap deal bothers me more than teh need for bigger viewing area
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 9 2013, 05:57 AM) *

except for $100 price difference??
any other helmuts in the $150 price range that are better?
speedglas being a scottyb favorite I believe.
I could get blue flame at harbor freight for $40 but I feel I will regret it sooner than later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-SPEEDGLAS-100V-...=item20b6cdc3ca

I believe this is the same helmet I have. I LOVE it. The cheater lenses are awesome. Cheap and work great for us guys with bad eyes. . .

As others have said, do not go cheap on a helmet; you only have one set of eyes
speed metal army
Optrel! Love dem!
jimkelly
this one looks like $114 after $40 rebate ??

http://store.cyberweld.com/3mspweheiceh.html
McMark
I have an Optrel that replaced my HF helmet. The true test was when I went back to the HF helmet for a session after using the Optrel for a long time and realized just how terrible the HF helmet is.

Shopping for a new Optrel now that I have two people in house doing the welding.
Dr Evil
I have the HF one and it works OK, but the head strap is shit. The connection to the mask broke soon after I bought it, and the mask will not stay in place. I am going to invest in a better helmet. I have gotten flashed before using the HF helmet and yes, it sucks. Maybe my welds will pretty up if I get a better helmet. I used whatever Zach had at his garage and it was fine. No idea what brand. The one you post looks like a good deal. Thanks!
JStroud
I have a Rhino large view auto darkening, got it as a gift, had some good reviews so I kept it, but haven't used it yet. Been using the basic Lincoln helmet that I bought with my welder.....years ago, guess I need to give the new one a try.

Jeff
Elliot Cannon
I bought an auto-darkening helmet a few years ago but will probably upgrade soon. I don't like trusting what is left of my eyesight to a cheap helmet.
tomeric914
Speedglas SUCKS. I got retina burn from using their helmets and returned the overprice POS.

I've used a Jackson EQC for the past 13 years and it has been 100% reliable. Try before you buy if possible. Each AD helmet is just a little different. Some have no adjustment, some have shade adjustment, some have sensitivity adjustment. welder.gif
jimkelly
this is not a standing ovation for speedglas - dang.

jim

--

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 9 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Speedglas SUCKS. I got retina burn from using their helmets and returned the overprice POS.

I've used a Jackson EQC for the past 13 years and it has been 100% reliable. Try before you buy if possible. Each AD helmet is just a little different. Some have no adjustment, some have shade adjustment, some have sensitivity adjustment. welder.gif

tomeric914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 9 2013, 03:01 PM) *

Sorry Jim. I've been welding for 30+ years and have always been very careful when it come to weld safety. I got burned (literally) by two separate brand new Spedglas helmets. F them, never again. finger.gif

Others may have had good luck with them, YMMV.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 9 2013, 05:57 AM) *
welding Helmut

I had no idea you could weld humans ...

https://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&a...p;q=Helmut+Kohl

lol-2.gif
jimkelly
5 years worth of dust about to get wiped away

I ordered speedglas a minute before tomeric's post - crossing my fingers now.
$154 - $40 rebate = $114 : )

can't wait to get started TACKING AND MIGGING

preferably not on people - especially myself

welder.gif
Porcharu
If it's anything like my Speedglas you will love it. I could ride my bike with this helmet on (and gas weld as well) I love the thing. It was not cheap by any means but it has a HUGE 'screen' (like 2x of most) and goes really dark for high power welding and light enough to do low amp TIG or gas welding. Even has a setting for grinding but now way in hell am I grinding in a high end welding helmet. Great headgear as well, I can see how someone could wear this thing all day - thankfully I have an easy deskjob and don't have to do any 'real' work anymore.
My old $100 or so helmet I got while buying my MIG died a few years ago and when i upgraded I realized the old one sucked and would be illegal to sell now as the response time was over the limit - no wonder I felt like I had sand in my eyes after a long welding session. welder.gif

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 9 2013, 02:01 PM) *

5 years worth of dust about to get wiped away

I order speedglas a minute before tomeric's post - crossing my fingers now.

can't wait to get started TACKING AND MIGGING

preferably not on people - especially myself

welder.gif

scotty b
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 9 2013, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 9 2013, 03:01 PM) *

Sorry Jim. I've been welding for 30+ years and have always been very careful when it come to weld safety. I got burned (literally) by two separate brand new Spedglas helmets. F them, never again. finger.gif

Others may have had good luck with them, YMMV.

No offense, but I seriously doubt the helmet was the issue. I've been using a Speedglas for about 10 years now with no issues. Most of the professional welders I know either have a Speedglas, Miller, or Optrel. I have never heard of any issues with any of the 3.

What was behind you when you got " screwed " by the speedglas helmets? I have had retina burn bad and it had nothing to do with the cheapo helmet I was using. It had to do with the arc flash bouncing off a yellow car that was about 2 feet behind me for 3 hours.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 9 2013, 11:45 AM) *

I have the HF one and it works OK, but the head strap is shit. The connection to the mask broke soon after I bought it, and the mask will not stay in place. I am going to invest in a better helmet. I have gotten flashed before using the HF helmet and yes, it sucks. Maybe my welds will pretty up if I get a better helmet. I used whatever Zach had at his garage and it was fine. No idea what brand. The one you post looks like a good deal. Thanks!

Cheap harbor freight crap.
I've been intending to upgrading for a year, but have done no welding so I haven't.

Zach
tomeric914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 9 2013, 05:15 PM) *

What was behind you when you got " screwed " by the speedglas helmets? I have had retina burn bad and it had nothing to do with the cheapo helmet I was using. It had to do with the arc flash bouncing off a yellow car that was about 2 feet behind me for 3 hours.

Interesting. It didn't matter where I was. On the ground, over the bench, direct sunlight, neither Speedglas worked worth a damn. Have they improved since then? Maybe, but maybe not. It's burned into my memory and I won't use them.

The issue was that Speedglas wouldn't switch from light to dark fast enough. Every time an arc was started there was a split second of blindness. It didn't matter how the lens would set, it was not fast enough. Multiple spot welds while hanging a panel and you're blind real quick.

Jim, you'll probably be fine, but you'll know for certain if it isn't working right. See what the return policy is just in case.
Andyrew
I've been using a HF helmet for years upon years.

I've had a Prostar helmet, but it wasnt as good as my HF one for viewing area and speed. Strap was better, but still I like the HF one. I'd get one for a backup any day.
jimkelly
the consensus is clear.

HF helmet is clearly sufficient, even good, especially for the price.

but it seems several brand name helmets are likely better overall.

well, I popped for $114 vs $40, and it sounds like i'll be fine.

thanks all!

first order of business is to lengthen a engine bay side shift rod by 1.5" without using JBWELD tooth.gif

jim
Trekkor
I have a Lincoln.

I like it.

KT
bulitt
I believe all helmets sold in the US have to meet minimum ANSI safety standards.
However as mentioned, some have cheap straps, small viewing areas, and different sensitivity controls. I had a N tool and the strap and helmet were very thin floppy plastic. Replaced it with a Miller Classic. Much larger viewing, multiple sensitivity settings, nice straps, and takes two AAA batteries. Nothing worse than welding and the button battery goes out. Cant go wrong with a Speedglas, Miller, Lincoln.
Dr Evil
Might be picking up an unused Miller Elite tomorrow smile.gif Discount!
stugray
I welded for over 13 years (got me through college) and have never ONCE tried the auto-darkening lenses.
Being an EE, I just dont trust the electronics with my eye-sight.

Plain old large-glass Miller.
I even learned to put electrical tape around the perimeter of the lens and the splash covers.
I prefer the gold coated plastic lenses over the old-school glass, but they are very delicate.

I use a cover on the outside and the inside to protect the lens coating from scratches.
Put the three together and put e-tape around all three, then put the whole assembly in the lens holder that goes into the hood.
I found that if i didnt use the tape, sometimes light would get around the edges by refraction if you welded in strange viewing angles.

And I actually prefer the kind that goes on over a hardhat.
That way the head strap is only as good as your hat.

And I have been flash burned enough times to know how bad it sucks.

If you get flashed, put raw potato slices over your eyes.
That is almost as good as the drops they give you in the ER.

Stu
jimkelly
because I got the speedglas so cheap ($114), I decided to get a harbor freight unit too ($39 with coupon), as a backup and to have one for a second person situation.

the speedglas unit is the one on the ... left I think : )
Bartlett 914
My Optrel died. It was pretty expensive when I got it. It has internal batteries that are charged by the photocell. One shorted and the unit cannot be opened. OK it can but is now totally destroyed. I was at a supply house and asking about the differences. One point was the number of photo receivers. The number helps insure fast response. My unit had 2. Better ones have more. I also liked the removable plastic lens. It was replaceable when scratched. Mine also had a pocket for a magnifier. I cut up an old Optovisor and used that lens. I was able to see real nice.
jimkelly
two more pics - the speedglas has more controls.

bperry
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 13 2013, 01:47 PM) *

One point was the number of photo receivers. The number helps insure fast response. My unit had 2. Better ones have more.

Not only that but having more sensors can help reduce the possibility
of being flashed when you are in odd positions, since it is less likely
that all the sensors are blocked by obstructions.

I have a Jackson NexGen EQC.
It is a great lens with a large viewing area with lots of features,
like a grind only mode,
but the battery covers are a poor design and it is easy to break them when
replacing the CR2450 coin batteries.
I like the helmut but I don't think I buy it again, there are others out there
for less money that have the same features without the battery cover issue.

My hot button features:
- switch time 1/20,000 or better
- shade control
- delay control
- sensitivity
- replaceable batteries that are easy to replace
- cheater (reading glass lens) compatible
- comfortable head gear.

Having used helmuts with large openings vs smaller ones, to me
the "extra large" viewing area is a bit over rated.
Particularly if you need to use corrective lenses.
I would spend more on other features like a faster switch time,
or a lower "light" state.
i.e. how light is the glass when not welding.
This varries a bit between different lenses.
The cheaper lenses are not as light when not welding.
That means you need more light to see prior to starting the arc.

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.