Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable won't hold adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
I've had the car 7 years and usually have to adjust the cable about every 6 months to restore complete engagement and smooth shifting, most notably in first or reverse. Now, I can adjust as usual and it works fine, but only for a few miles when it won't fully disengage and becomes very difficult to get into first or reverse without grinding.

A new cable was installed 3 years ago and has worked fine til now. Is it just stretching out and needs replacement or could there be something more sinister going on?
Millerwelds
Do you have it secured with two nuts locked together so the adjustment is not changing?
KELTY360
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 11 2013, 06:42 AM) *

Do you have it secured with two nuts locked together so the adjustment is not changing?

Yes, it is securely double nutted.
JoeSharp
It's gone. Replace it before it leves you stranded and shows you where the strands are.
76-914
agree.gif That or a spot weld on the clutch tube has failed.
Spoke
I had the same problem on both of my 914s.

The first one kept needing adjustment until I noticed the clutch tube moving toward the interior of the car. The tube attachment at the firewall had rusted.

On the other 914, a few adjustments days apart preceded a big BANG when the clutch pedal when to the floor as the cable broke.

If the clutch tube is not rusted at the firewall, replace the cable before you drive it further.
KELTY360
I haven't checked the tube. I'll do that.
KELTY360
The tube checked out fine. Turns out the cable was frayed on the outer winding while the inner core was intact. Smooth clutch operation restored! cheer.gif

Thanks to Greenie for helping out. In spite of what people say, he's not a bad guy.....don't tell him I said that. grouphug.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 11 2013, 06:12 AM) *

agree.gif That or a spot weld on the clutch tube has failed.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.