Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustment help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
On my ride to work this morning, I noticed my car wasn't idling as high as usual while sitting at lights. I also noticed that I was grinding gears much more than ususal. When I got to work, I stepped on the clutch with the car in gear and the rpms went to 500 or below. When I put the car in nutral, the rpms went back up to 900 plus. So, I figure the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

I have seen articles on how to adjust a tail shifters clutch cable, but I need a real basic, "what to do" description. Like, which way to turn the nuts, does the cable need to be tightened or loosened, etc. This is a new cable with less than a few hundred miles on it.

Thanks,
72Signal914
Mine was doing just about the same thing and my clutch and flywheel were both done, the clutch was at its limits. My uncle told me it had to get replaced, after the new clutch and flywheel were installed it was money.
need4speed
Yeah, it's fun when you're at a light, clutch down, brakes off, and the car still starts to roll forward. Time to get under there and get dirty.

Thing is - it could be that your NEW clutch cable did a little stretching. So logically, you want to turn the wingnut to shorten the overall effective length. If you make it too short, it'll slip, and then you'll know to back it off.
meursault
No wingnut. Listen not to the ghia man. Get down there with a pliers and an 11mm wrench. hold the end of the cable with the pliers and turn the nut clockwise until the cable seems a little taut. Get up or have an assistant check the freeplay at the pedal. Adjust the cable down there to your heart's content until your pedal has about an inch of freeplay, meaning that you press down the pedal about an inch before you meet a change in resistance.
silver six
Dave,

While it could be as simple as a clutch adjustment to fix the problem, it may also be that your clutch tube has busted. If it happened gradually over many months then it's likely an adjustment issue. But if the problem popped up all at once, it's likely the clutch tube. It seems like about 30 years is the life of these tubes and nearly everyone is having to fix their tube about now.

Check out this thread on the subject.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&hl=clutch+tube

Douglas
need4speed
QUOTE(meursault @ May 22 2003, 10:56 AM)
No wingnut. Listen not to the ghia man. ..

tongue.gif
I'm tryin'. . .

Someday I'll have a 914 of my own, and I'll know WTF I'm talking about. Until then, everyone just consider my Avatar as a warning sign. wink.gif
markb
While you're under there adjusting...if there is only one nut on the cable, add a second to lock it into place. The single nut has a way of moving if not locked down.

BTW, need4speed, any time you're ready for a 914, or just wanna take one out for a spin, lemme know. I'm just up on the Mesa above you. And if you ever want to get greasy, I've got a ton of stuff to do to the restoration. biggrin.gif
need4speed
Thanks for the invite. I think I'll take you up on it soon.

Maybe Saturday, if'n I can get my other commitments out of the way within a decent time-frame. (and if you're free) I'd like to set that up via my @yahoo.com email, but I can't access that account from work, so I'm limited to a very brief time of email management at home in the evenings.

(dude; I just looked at your rennlist page. I was just over at Randy's place last Saturday picking up my new transaxle, and I spotted those spent 914 husks over by the barn. )
markb
Yup, the 2 under (whats left of) car covers are mine, the others are "play with" cars Randy lets me try things on before I do any damage to mine. Or parts for whatever I need used. I just went out this afternoon & grabbed a arms for my blue car. Give me a yell on my rennlist email account and I'll get together with you. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.