Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remote Oil Temp Sender Cover Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 914/4 2.0 FI

OK, so while I'm waiting on the final verdict on my fuel injector cleaning project, I thought I'd chase down an oil leak.

What I found was that oil was seeping out of the cover plate for the remote oil temp sender. I removed the cover plate that is held on by two 10mm bolts. With the cover removed, oil really seeped out of the bolt holes.

I assume and hope that's OK?

Question is, if they leak that bad, shouldn't there be a gasket for that cover?

The cover and the plate that the sender mounts to were very nicely cleaned and powder coated, but no gasket.

I see a gasket in the PET, but not sure if it is for the cover plate or the inside plate that the temp sender screws into?

Thanks,

Len
r_towle
gasket
plate with sender
gasket
o-ring
cover plate

Both bolts have copper crush washers (one use only) as well.

All of this is in a standard gasket kit, or you can get them all from one of the many vendors that we all buy from.

rich
type47
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Aug 13 2013, 11:50 AM) *

I removed the cover plate that is held on by two 10mm bolts. With the cover removed, oil really seeped out of the bolt holes.

Yea, because those 2 bolts are the only thing that holds the cover plate, and base, on the case. If you had wiggled the base a little more, the base may have dropped out and you'd have gotten the whole oil sump dumped on the floor. I don't see how the gasket between the cover and the base does much. The red o ring and the sealing copper washers on the bolts do more...

I see the assembly as:
case
red o ring (PET 111-05 #50 021.101.269 A)
base with sender
gasket (039.101.287 not shown in PET)
cover held on by sealing copper washers (PET 111-05 #51 N013.803.2) and bolts, 6mm.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111454
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1242301
stugray
If you had wiggled the base a little more, the base may have dropped out and you'd have gotten the whole oil sump dumped on the floor

agree.gif

You can put it on without the outer cover, but the bolts have to be installed with the crush washer as if the cover was on.
Chances are: trying to remove just the cover with a full sump will not end well.

Stu
lsintampa
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 13 2013, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(lsintampa @ Aug 13 2013, 11:50 AM) *

I removed the cover plate that is held on by two 10mm bolts. With the cover removed, oil really seeped out of the bolt holes.

Yea, because those 2 bolts are the only thing that holds the cover plate, and base, on the case. If you had wiggled the base a little more, the base may have dropped out and you'd have gotten the whole oil sump dumped on the floor. I don't see how the gasket between the cover and the base does much. The red o ring and the sealing copper washers on the bolts do more...

I see the assembly as:
case
red o ring (PET 111-05 #50 021.101.269 A)
base with sender
gasket (039.101.287 not shown in PET)
cover held on by sealing copper washers (PET 111-05 #51 N013.803.2) and bolts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111454
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1242301

Wow - thanks. For once luck was on my side. Good to know. I pulled that cover off because I saw it was the source of my leak... once off, I left it off for a bit, but lucky for me, I put the bolts back in to stop the oil from dripping.

For now, I made a paper gasket and slapped the cover back on.

So when I go to do it right, how much oil can I expect to come out of there when I pull the whole thing out?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Aug 13 2013, 05:14 PM) *

So when I go to do it right, how much oil can I expect to come out of there when I pull the whole thing out?

ALL of it. Drain it first, and replace the seal with the appropriate parts. Probably better to do it before you start the engine for the first time, otherwise you're going to have to wait till you're ready to drain the oil. beerchug.gif
Valy
See my signature for the paper gaskets.
Valy, you da man. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.