Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper ID: Possible 993 turbo calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Ive got a line on some calipers, and wondering if anyone can ID them.

Eric?

Any idea on what they are worth? They are missing your standard hardware, but were rebuilt and coated.

Eric_Shea
Hard to tell... piston size?
Andyrew
Donno. Im thinking they are rears though. But they were built from ECS tuning for a big brake kit. Thats about all I know.
Andyrew
I can pick them up for about $275, but I might be able to pick them up for cheaper...
Looks like my 993 Big Reds.
jcd914
You need measurements from each caliper, either they are mismatched or the cross over tube is installed incorrect on 1 of the calipers.

On 1 caliper the cross over tube is near the small pistons and on the other caliper the tube is near the large pistons.

Does ECS use real Brembos or are they a copy?

Jim
Andyrew
Looking at the mounting holes in relation to the piston size it looks like there is one left and one right. I they they just have the tubes and bleeders installed wrong.
ChrisFoley
They look more like S4 Fronts than Big Reds to me, but a little hard to tell.
The difference is the dimension of the pads. Top to bottom is the same but in/out dimension is larger on the big reds (48mm vs. 58mm).
That is an excellent price btw.

I use this chart found on the Pelican webserver to help with caliper identification.
Brakes Identification Chart
jcd914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 15 2013, 06:46 AM) *

they just have the tubes and bleeders installed wrong.

Essentially that was what I was pointing out, although without measurements (pad size, piston diameters, etc...) from each caliper you don't know for sure if they match each other.

I have a 'pair' of Ferrari (F40) calipers that turned out to be 1 front caliper and 1 rear.

I also had to swap, side to side, a pair of Brembo calipers that the shop before me had installed wrong and I had to move the bleeders and cross over tubes. Would have been easy except the flair nuts on the cross over tubes had been epoxied in.

Jim
Spoke
Here's a 930 rear caliper from an '86.
Eric_Shea
Price is OK but, again, pistons size will tell the story. Rears will have smaller 30, 34 and possibly 36mm pistons.

The one on the left (in the last picture) is set-up properly.

These calipers are generally cheaper because kits to rebuild them are as follows:

Wiper seal = $32.50
Bore seal = $18.50
Total = $51.00

Now... times that by 4 because that's just one bore. Now, times that by 4 because that's just one caliper. So $204.00 per caliper to rebuild only... not restore (which is why a lot of these just get powdercoated). $816.00 in just kits to do one car... blink.gif

Hence why the market seems to be flooded with these at low prices.
ChrisFoley
I have a set (f&r) of unused, never installed, 993TT Big Reds available for $1800.
Eric_Shea
That's a (very) good price for NOS Big Reds
Andyrew
Chris, thanks for the info and comparison price. The guy literally said someone make me an offer or I throw them away, and has a price of 275obo..

Eric, I figured they would be really expensive to rebuild, he says they are rebuilt but I dont see any dust boots. Thanks for the pricing.

He's going to get me the piston size soon and we'll go from there.

I was thinking of putting these on my 914 or maybe my Allroad if I can do it cheap enough.

Here is what the S4 and A6 (Allroad) calipers look like.
IPB Image

Thanks for the info guys smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.