Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big oil leak... a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
Thanx to all who have helped me so far trace down multiple problems after my 1.8 rebuild.

The latest problem is a BIG oil leak coming from the flywheel area. I've pulled the transmission back out and taken off the clutch and flywheel and this is what I see.

The leak appears to be coming from where the fllywheel mates up with the 3 end play shims. There is oil on the lip of the flywheel where it mates to the crank shaft One of the end play shims appears to be dished out and warped as well. Could this warped end play shim cause such a big leak? Or could this have caused too much endplay( I checked end play at .004) and cause a leak?

I also put the pilot bearing in alittle deeper than where it is flush with the hole in the flywheel so the felt washer would have a recessed area to seat into. Could this keep the flywheel from mating flush against the crankshaft?

Obviously I'm going to put in another new flywheel seal and flywheel oring again. I didn't see and torn areas on either the seal or oring. Any help appreciated Thanx L

76-914
IIRC, end play is .003 or less but not sure. Anyway, I installed a RMS that leaked on my rebuild. Borrowed the correct tool from a member here then installed the larger RMS from a VW Van supply (forgot who they are, maybe someone here will chime in). Also, be sure the o-ring is in place and not torn. beerchug.gif
Valy
The dished and warped shim had place to deform or maybe it was deformed when you installed it last time. Anyway, the end play was not set correctly causing excessive play and "pumping" oil through vibration between the oring and flywheel.
Make sure you have straight shims and a new oring.
AE354803
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2013, 03:54 PM) *

IIRC, end play is .003 or less but not sure. Anyway, I installed a RMS that leaked on my rebuild. Borrowed the correct tool from a member here then installed the larger RMS from a VW Van supply (forgot who they are, maybe someone here will chime in). Also, be sure the o-ring is in place and not torn. beerchug.gif

The thick flywheel seal is available at gowesty.com part 029-105-245. They have a good writeup on the differences in the product listing.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php...gory_parent_id=
LCOX
Yes as I said above I didn't see any evidence of a torn flywheel seal or oring. I'll check on a better flywheel seal this time.

From what I remember the one shim that was dished out and warped. It was this way when I removed it. I guess this could lead to excessive end play.

I have several other used shims here but I don't see any thickness or part numbers printed anywhere on these. How do you measure these? L
r_towle
Theses
LCOX
Where can I buy this? L
76-914
Harbor Freight. ebay. amazon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.