Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Big oil leak... a few questions
LCOX
post Aug 14 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,148
Region Association: None

Thanx to all who have helped me so far trace down multiple problems after my 1.8 rebuild.

The latest problem is a BIG oil leak coming from the flywheel area. I've pulled the transmission back out and taken off the clutch and flywheel and this is what I see.

The leak appears to be coming from where the fllywheel mates up with the 3 end play shims. There is oil on the lip of the flywheel where it mates to the crank shaft One of the end play shims appears to be dished out and warped as well. Could this warped end play shim cause such a big leak? Or could this have caused too much endplay( I checked end play at .004) and cause a leak?

I also put the pilot bearing in alittle deeper than where it is flush with the hole in the flywheel so the felt washer would have a recessed area to seat into. Could this keep the flywheel from mating flush against the crankshaft?

Obviously I'm going to put in another new flywheel seal and flywheel oring again. I didn't see and torn areas on either the seal or oring. Any help appreciated Thanx L

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 14 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

IIRC, end play is .003 or less but not sure. Anyway, I installed a RMS that leaked on my rebuild. Borrowed the correct tool from a member here then installed the larger RMS from a VW Van supply (forgot who they are, maybe someone here will chime in). Also, be sure the o-ring is in place and not torn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Aug 14 2013, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

The dished and warped shim had place to deform or maybe it was deformed when you installed it last time. Anyway, the end play was not set correctly causing excessive play and "pumping" oil through vibration between the oring and flywheel.
Make sure you have straight shims and a new oring.
+Quote Post
AE354803
post Aug 14 2013, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,801

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2013, 03:54 PM) *

IIRC, end play is .003 or less but not sure. Anyway, I installed a RMS that leaked on my rebuild. Borrowed the correct tool from a member here then installed the larger RMS from a VW Van supply (forgot who they are, maybe someone here will chime in). Also, be sure the o-ring is in place and not torn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The thick flywheel seal is available at gowesty.com part 029-105-245. They have a good writeup on the differences in the product listing.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php...gory_parent_id=
+Quote Post
LCOX
post Aug 14 2013, 08:14 PM
Post #5

Yes as I said above I didn't see any evidence of a torn flywheel seal or oring. I'll check on a better flywheel seal this time.

From what I remember the one shim that was dished out and warped. It was this way when I removed it. I guess this could lead to excessive end play.

I have several other used shims here but I don't see any thickness or part numbers printed anywhere on these. How do you measure these? L
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 14 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Theses

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
LCOX
post Aug 15 2013, 08:44 AM
Post #7

Where can I buy this? L
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 15 2013, 08:55 AM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Harbor Freight. ebay. amazon
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:46 PM