Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brakes and e-brake...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TurboWalt
I currently have the Renegade "Big Red" caliper setup on my car. I don't know what the specs of the rear caliper are. I presently don't have a handbrake. I will want one when my car hits the street. Is my best bet at this point to go the 911 route (Tangerine)? Should I use the 914/6 GT calipers on the rear, would I lose the proper balance mentioned by Eric? Does anyone have any experience with the kit I'm using, is it properly balanced?

Thanks, Walt

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(TurboWalt @ Aug 19 2013, 06:15 AM) *

I currently have the Renegade "Big Red" caliper setup on my car. I don't know what the specs of the rear caliper are. I presently don't have a handbrake. I will want one when my car hits the street. Is my best bet at this point to go the 911 route (Tangerine)? Should I use the 914/6 GT calipers on the rear, would I lose the proper balance mentioned by Eric? Does anyone have any experience with the kit I'm using, is it properly balanced?

Thanks, Walt

IPB Image

You be loosing a lot of rear brake. Go with the CFR kit and I have a set of 911 handbrake assemblies.
ChrisFoley
I have some SC brake tophats available. They fit over my aluminum bearing retainers, as opposed to early tophats going under the retainers.
I don't think the tophats alone are suitable as bearing retainers.
The rest of the 911 parking brake parts are the same IIRC.
The trailing arms need some relieving in the corners.
The tophats need the lips ground down and the bolt holes ovalled.
worn
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 18 2013, 12:02 PM) *

I decided to go with the stock solution and sold those. The way I did it would only work as a parking brake. Not good for an emergency brake solution. Again, that's exactly why the CFR solution is best for those who want big brakes beyond the 914-6 and S/A-Caliper solution.

The last customer 911 solution we did utilized the CRF system. Any future ones will as well.

I can't tell from the web site, but does the CFR system accomplish the attachment to the trailing arm? I am collecting parts but can't quite picture it - seems like something has to hold still for the brake shoes to work. And it ought to be attached to something solid. I know you have been over this before.
Jeff Hail
Shave the shiny areas until the hat/ backing plate sits flat on the bearing housing.

I did not have to oval the holes -they were perfect.

Makeshift bearing retainer for visual puposes.

A plug for Foley.. oh yeah I have to order that tube cable gizmo!
jaxdream
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 19 2013, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 18 2013, 12:02 PM) *

I decided to go with the stock solution and sold those. The way I did it would only work as a parking brake. Not good for an emergency brake solution. Again, that's exactly why the CFR solution is best for those who want big brakes beyond the 914-6 and S/A-Caliper solution.

The last customer 911 solution we did utilized the CRF system. Any future ones will as well.

I can't tell from the web site, but does the CFR system accomplish the attachment to the trailing arm? I am collecting parts but can't quite picture it - seems like something has to hold still for the brake shoes to work. And it ought to be attached to something solid. I know you have been over this before.

You will have to fashion a 40mm or so bracket welded to the arm , this is what anchors the shoes on the 911 arms , instead of at the top like 911 , do it at the bottom where most put it for the 914 arm . Good Luck .

Jack
Jeff Hail
First pic to give an idea what the 11 arm looks like with the 40mm anti-rotation block.

Second pic is one of Wes's mods with the inverted hat.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Aug 19 2013, 08:16 PM) *

You will have to fashion a 40mm or so bracket welded to the arm ,

comes with my kit
brant
Now I'm curious eric.

What is the front to rear ratio of aluminum calipers front/ early 914 fronts moved to the rear. ?

I know which pads I wear out first (2 to 1).
But am still curious.
DBCooper
I haven't been to your site in a while, Chris, and it's impressive. You've added a LOT of stuff, and it's all cool. Well done, I hope you do well with it.

I'd like to get more info about the e-brake kit. There are photos, but it's hard to see anything more than the cables and tubes. You say the kit includes a bracket? Is it possible to get more details? Is there something more on the site somewhere?

jaxdream
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Aug 19 2013, 05:57 PM) *

First pic to give an idea what the 11 arm looks like with the 40mm anti-rotation block.

Second pic is one of Wes's mods with the inverted hat.

That looks nice and clean , maybe a 1/4" thick would add a little more insurance but still looks great .

Jack
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 19 2013, 10:57 PM) *

I haven't been to your site in a while, Chris, and it's impressive. You've added a LOT of stuff, and it's all cool. Well done, I hope you do well with it.

I'd like to get more info about the e-brake kit. There are photos, but it's hard to see anything more than the cables and tubes. You say the kit includes a bracket? Is it possible to get more details? Is there something more on the site somewhere?

Thanks!
I don't know that I have any great pictures of the setup completely installed.
The brackets are shown in the top picture on my site, they just don't stand out.
The next picture down shows the pieces already welded on a trailing arm but the brake shoes and other components aren't on yet. Only the tophats are mounted.

Jack,
1/8" angle iron pieces are plenty heavy to do the job as long as they're welded securely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.