Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new pepboys seats....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scottb
looks like putting the seat with the provided rails on top of the 914 unit would add a lot of height. i already brush the roof with my bald head and i am 6'2.

i am following this thread as i have been unlucky in finding a nice set of stock seats in the cheap price range i am willing to pay....

post on....!!!
Dr Evil
i have been unlucky in finding a nice set of stock seats in the cheap price range i am willing to pay....

Oh? What are you willing to pay? I may be able to help idea.gif
914werke
out of curiosity I tried to locate those online and at the local brick & morter location (Everett)..No GO~!? wacko.gif
Andyrew
I searched online (everywhere mind you..) and couldnt find it either..

No it doesnt really raise it much.. If you note that I am attaching it to the 914 bracket after I cut off half an inch of the bracket (for the 914 slider.. Now im putting on a diff slider...) Im probably only raising the actual seat up about a half of an inch max... and the seat is about level with the 914 seat.

We'll see what the real results are as I get them firmly mounted.

Might not be for a while though... I got a ton of hours at work this week (28 vs 20... Gah!!!!)

Andrew
DougC
I'm with Rich..I can't find these locally. The two PBs around here both have 3 different seats and no pictures or catalog with these. I would bet money that we have the worst PB in the country around my area for customer service. WHY aren't these sold on their website either? Frustrating.

Doug C
neo914-6
I searched online (everywhere mind you..) and couldnt find it either

Maybe it's because Modesto (or their PB) is in the twilight zone! laugh.gif

I've fit a Corbeau bucket, Scheel-Mann recliner, Momo Corsa bucket, and Paddy-Hopkirk recliner which are either wider, higher, longer, or all of the above. I currently fit a Koenig which is a bolstered version of the stock seat. The stock 914 seat is relatively narrow and pretty flat to the floor. I wonder if they designed it for taller people to remove the cushion.

Good, inexpensive alternative you've found Andy. If you manufactured adapters, you be in business!

Felix
Part Pricer
QUOTE(DougC @ Dec 15 2004, 04:56 PM)
I'm with Rich..I can't find these locally. The two PBs around here both have 3 different seats and no pictures or catalog with these. I would bet money that we have the worst PB in the country around my area for customer service. WHY aren't these sold on their website either? Frustrating.

Doug C

Here they are:

Hey! Look at these seats!
DougC
Thanks for that Paul, I think I'll go in and try to talk to a manager with the add in my hand. I do notice that Andyrew's seats don't say "3A Racing" on the leg support area like in the pictures...looks better that way. Wish me luck..

Doug C
Andyrew
Just ask for black on black..

The guy at PB's said they come in only the two colors in the add.. but the three add's i've seen have 5 different colors, and mine is different from all of those.. (blk/blk)...

lol
Good luck

Andrew
914werke
Right on Paul smilie_pokal.gif
Just called the Everett store and thier wharehouse chk yeilded 288 in stock. Must order through the store and provide the part # earlier in the thread. I was considering the Renagade seats, but this seems too good to pass up. beer.gif
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif Got mine today--yippie!!!!! beer.gif beer.gif

They are a tight fit on my personal frame--will probably try and spread the hip portion out another 1/2 inch--but other than that ---yippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

Thanks for turning me onto this!! I was having a very hard time swallowing the cost of recovering the miscule stockers....
dan10101
QUOTE(Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Dec 15 2004, 02:20 PM)
I wonder if they designed it for taller people to remove the cushion.
Felix

Felix,
The underwire frame doesn't allow the front cushion to be removed. That was one of my concerns.

Jwalters.. What is your thought now that you've seen the seats? I mean about the cushion under the front leg.

Andrew got his car running, Brakes and torsion bars, but hasn't had time to work on the seat mounts. I just got the welder back so he can start playing.. welder.gif
DougC
My PB seat adventure last night... I go to the first PB (closest to my house) no manager is around and everyone else looks at me like I'm from Mars when I mention "in store specials" I give up after about 15 minutes of trying to get someone to order a set for me..the guy keeps saying 'we can't order anything after 6pm'. When I was leaving he suggests that I try 'Cartoys' I just shake my head and roll my eyes. I then head across town to the next PB and finally get someone to help me, he couldn't get the computer to tally up a total so he calls the manager. She gets the same thing and calls the home office or someplace, they tell her that the "system" is down. She suggests that I come back tomorrow (today) and try again. This group was fairly helpfull so I guess I will. BTW, I did get to sit in one and I found them to be very snugg and I'm not a big guy, I'll try to bend the tube frame a bit wider also. That leg support piece is also a little extreme for a street car but I think if you added an upholstered cushion where your bottom actually sits it would be a lot better...because it's very deep.

Doug C
Andyrew
I put a little pillow in front and found it to help alot.. lol

And for extra long trips. a large pillow covering the entire bottom seemed to make it just comfy... I think I'll make a couple of pads and experiment...

Andrew
RON S.
I don't mean to hijack your thread.
I thought I'd search on evilbay to see if any of the pepboy seats might be listed.
I found these here with a buy it now price of $378.00 a pair.
Who ever is selling them wants an additional 120.00 to ship them which seems pretty steep.
Nice lookin seats.

Ron
DougC
Nice yes, but you could get almost three sets of the PB seats for that money.

Doug C
Andyrew
I contemplated buying those seats.. thats an evolution of the "nex seats"

see this thread...Nex seats install

The problem with those seats, they hit the handbrake. Note the "flare on the front of the seat.

lots of modification to get my handbrake to work with that....

Andrew
DougC
OK, sent the wife in today to complete last nights transaction and she was able to get them ordered however, she was told not to pay until we picked them up which leaves me a little doubtful. Also, the model#25-2705 came up as bk/bl which means I may be getting a set that's black and blue, they couldn't find an all black model or one with a description bk/bk etc. So I guess we'll see. If I really like them I may eventually have them recovered in a nice tan leather (further down the road).

Doug C
Carlitos Way
I just "happen" to know one of the managers at my local pep boys. If you want me to find out the proper color code for you, please PM and I will see if he can help.

Carlos
Andyrew
25-2705 is what I have.

Its Blk/Blk.. No worries.
jwalters
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Dec 15 2004, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE(Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Dec 15 2004, 02:20 PM)
I wonder if they designed it for taller people to remove the cushion.  
Felix

Felix,
The underwire frame doesn't allow the front cushion to be removed. That was one of my concerns.

Jwalters.. What is your thought now that you've seen the seats? I mean about the cushion under the front leg.

Andrew got his car running, Brakes and torsion bars, but hasn't had time to work on the seat mounts. I just got the welder back so he can start playing.. welder.gif

wink.gif I am very happy with them! beer.gif

I am going to procure a one inch thick piece of confor seat foam from my aviation supplier and take it to an upholsterer to cover and match the material but make them silver ( the seats are black) and fill in the ass area a little.

When I sit in them and rock back as it would be in my car it rocks!!!! My groin has been aching from lack of support for my legs!!

I am going to spread the hip area out at least 1/2 inch--right now it is "hard" to get in them--but damn, once I am in they will surely hold me in place.

For those of you have trouble finding part numbers--the seats are listed in the paper specials flier that is always somewhere in the front of the store.

Have a good one! beerchug.gif
jwalters
ohmy.gif And to give you an example--I am 6' and 220 lbs.....
914werke
biggrin.gif Hoo boy! Well Im 6'1" and a few beers shy of that beer.gif
I just got back from ordering a set of these so merry christmass to me! smilie_pokal.gif
I guess that means Ill have a set of pretty good blk seats need a new home lol2.gif
DougC
For those of you have trouble finding part numbers--the seats are listed in the paper specials flier that is always somewhere in the front of the store.

Yeah but at my PB the add showed a red seat and a blue seat and the model numbers under them were #25-2701 and #25-2705....see what I mean the add is off. Then when my wife placed the order just yesterday she brought home a new add that showed a red seat and a grey seat.. SAME MODEL #s! But like Andyrew said 'No worries'. Atleast we got 'em ordered.

Doug C
jwalters
QUOTE(DougC @ Dec 17 2004, 07:18 AM)

Yeah but at my PB the add showed a red seat and a blue seat and the model numbers under them were #25-2701 and #25-2705....see what I mean the add is off. Then when my wife placed the order just yesterday she brought home a new add that showed a red seat and a grey seat.. SAME MODEL #s! But like Andyrew said 'No worries'. Atleast we got 'em ordered.

Doug C

biggrin.gif Yea, the guy at the counter was privy to that--told me I vould have black or red--he went by the same p/n tho---so go figure...................
KaptKaos
You get them in? Pix would be appreciated. Might make a stop at PB myself tomorrow.

I have a fiat that needs new seats too. Hmmm.....

- Joe
914werke
Just got Back from PU of my seats !!
Not bad IPB Image
I see now what was described as a "Hole". Doesnt seem
too obtrusive I bet a simple cushion could "Tailor" the seat to your tousch IPB Image
Again at 6.1" 33"waist its a bit snug at the Hips but I think with a small amount of widening effort, should net a perfect fit.
Im following with intrest your slider solution as I prefer the fit to be as close to the stockers as possible.
Jwalters are you running a back Pad?
jwalters
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Dec 24 2004, 04:01 PM)
Just got Back from PU of my seats !!
Not bad IPB Image
I see now what was described as a "Hole". Doesnt seem
too obtrusive I bet a simple cushion could "Tailor" the seat to your tousch IPB Image
Again at 6.1" 33"waist its a bit snug at the Hips but I think with a small amount of widening effort, should net a perfect fit.
Im following with intrest your slider solution as I prefer the fit to be as close to the stockers as possible.
Jwalters are you running a back Pad?

IPB Image Nope, no pad---weighs too much,and would foul the seats( I sit almost all the way back) getting rid of the sound deadener also--will use some dynamat, and then glue in grey speaker cloth over the entire surface--I figured it would save me about 22# and still have superior sound deadening------ I saw a teener in Excellance mag doing just this--and man it looked nice!! IPB Image
914werke
Well I took some time did some measuring and started work on fitting the seats today.
After removing the hog clips attaching the cover to the seat base you can see the mounts welded to the outside of the frame and a rail to guide the fabric.
914werke
The necessary mounting location ended up being directly over the frame rails so I cut those off, & Trimmed the tapped post's
914werke
Then measured and drilled the rails for the posts
914werke
Now I need to find someone local with a welder, grind the posts flush and I be in bidness IPB Image IPB Image
Hey you NW folks Anyone not gonna be nursing a hangover tommoro (or Sunday?) IPB Image
Andyrew
Nice!

Good job.

Hope mine turns out as well.

Still need to work on it

Andrew
eric914
Rather than welding the posts into the rail you might consider a rivit-nut (AVK's trade name for them)? These are threaded fasteners that work like pop rivets. You use a special tool with a threaded mandrel (you can get the tool from harbor freight for about $20) or you can install them with a bolt and a nut. You threat the nut all the way onto the bolt and then thread bolt into the rivit-nut. Insert the nut into the desired location, hold the bolt stationary and turn the nut down against the rivet-nut. This will colaps the rivit-nut. When done, remove the bolt.

I have access to these nuts in 1/4 20 thread size as well as M6, M8, and M10. I would be willing to send some to you for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

Eric
914werke
Thanks Eric, Ive used those befor (Mostly on my bikes) but because of the Round tube and the location being offest from the center of the tube doubt they would work.
Besides because a fair amount of stress is aplied to these mount points (holding my large arse in place IPB Image )
I want to prevent these from tearing out. Welding them in place should put back some of the strengh I took out from cutting the holes. IPB Image
914werke
So... after our small winters blast hooked up with Jeff today("sixnotfour" Thanks a bunch Jeff!) and got the seat posts welded and the rails mounted. Here are some pics. I intended on mounting them in the 73 today but it got late (dark) then started snowing so I figure I do it tommorow, Dan and Craig might stop by but that'll depend on driving conditions IPB Image anyway....
914werke
Nice welding IPB Image
Heres how the rails mount..
914werke
And a comparo of old to new with the rails attached.
First front...
914werke
heres a top view (sort of) seat hight is about the same.
914werke
Last the back. Its as straight as the stocker so I dont forsee a problem w/fitment to the backpad
dwillouby
I believe I have a way of making brackets to bolt to the stock sliders. No cutting or welding. Hope to make a set today.
David
jgiroux67
Sorry Andrew, but I got to copy you on this one. I think I'm ordering the seats in black tomarrow.
Mr.C
Any pics with them in the car?
redshift
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Dec 9 2004, 10:55 AM)
Silly me. I was using Firefox. It is a lot quicker with IE.

laugh.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.