Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new pepboys seats....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Andyrew
Here's the seats... 175 for both of them including tax.

anyways.. pics..
Andyrew
next.. more later
EdwardBlume
Nice seats. How much do they weigh?
jwalters
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 9 2004, 12:03 AM)
Here's the seats... 175 for both of them including tax.

anyways.. pics..

huh.gif Hey man--what are those seats model # ????
I was pb the other day looking thru the extensive catalog for seats

I missed those, I want those--what is the model #???

Thanks in advance!

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Man thats cheaper than getting my Corbeaus recovered. Look to be about the same. If they are lite I'm in.
scooter311
Are they APC? I've seen 'em before and have been waiting to see if they'd fit in a 914.
Good score, cant' wait to see pics after install.

They come in a couple different colors too, right?

beerchug.gif
Part Pricer
I saw Andrew's post this morning and I knew that I recognized that logo. So, I looked it up in my SEMA directory.

The brand is 3aracing. The company is American Auto Accessories. Despite their name, they are a Chinese company.

I looked on their site but gave up on finding this seat because the site is soooo slow. Maybe someone else has more patience.
RON S.
Those seats look great,
Any idea as to whether they'd be legal for any driver events.
Price is right,but I'd hate to go thru all the expense,and work to get'm in,and then end up being sent home packing,by a tech inspector.

Ron
scotty914
their site is not any slower than any other site i have been to, i have cable and it is almost instant. i cant find the exact seat he bought but they have 5 different models, two look the same just different covers. the only thing i can see wrong is the leg bolsters are not very tall. but this might be because the cushion is tall, but it does not seen taller than a stock seat. and the bolsters not being to tall would be good in a 914. they dont have any info on the seats just 1 pic each. they have one seat that "looks" like it might fit the back pad but there is no way to tell from their site.

btw they have an office in cali, might be able to look at all their seats there
Part Pricer
Silly me. I was using Firefox. It is a lot quicker with IE.

Anyway, Andrew's seats are not listed on their site. However, I did find them using SalesHound. But, there are no particulars regarding size, weight, etc. Here is the listing
TC/914
GREAT FIND guys! I'm going over to see the Pep Boys this weekend and check out the seats!

Thanks . . .
Part Pricer
a little bit larger now
SteveSr
I see those seats every Sunday in the paper, and wondered if they would be good for the 914. At those prices I could put two in instead of moving the drivers seat to the passenger side and put in a race seat for the driver. I,m gonna check it out too!!! smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif beerchug.gif

SteveSr
Root_Werks
There is a PB not far from me, did anyone get the model number? 3A Racing, got that part. smile.gif
Part Pricer
25-270 (#25-2701)
nebreitling
toys.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Dec 9 2004, 07:53 AM)
25-270 (#25-2701)

boldblue.gif Cool, thanks.
Andyrew
alright...

Heres what it says...

"constructed around a steel frame" its still light... about as heavy as the stock seat.

Now for black like mine.... You want 25-2705.

I am very impressed with them. Once I find a way to mount them to the stock slider, then I'll be hunky dory!!!

Let me advise you all. they have an interesting front portion.. its like a big bucket that you sit in, and it could be slightly uncomfortable for long trips.. I'll be finding a way to resolve this with some foam... Its like it has no cusion (like if you took off the stock 914 cusion, cut in in half, and left the front half in...)

More pics in a sec.

Andrew

Sorry about the quality, was using my cheepo camera.
Andyrew
I must add that they were on sale for 79 each.. as aposed to 99 each...

anyways. Dad says there probably ok for DE events.. (and I guess in that case Ax too..)

the pic of the problem area (I got a little strong pillow and put in in place, and it "solved" the problem... but I'll make something for it soon...
Andyrew
next pic (yes I was using the good camera this time.. lol
Andyrew
next
Andyrew
Dad could fit, he's what 230#'s? cant remember, but it fits the big guys. Its not snug on me, but im used to that.
Joe Ricard
Most of the racing seats are made like this with a hole for your ass to sit in. I Guess this is a copy of a real race seat. I do even see the cut in the seat bottom for the sub belt. I had the corbeaus for a year and never traveled more than 50 miles at one time. Not sure if would have wanted to either.
125 miles to an AX event 6 runs and 125 miles home would probably put a whipping on me "back side". Also need a snug seat having a 32" waist @ 150 pounds I need the skinniest seat available.
andys
I've looked at these seats many times during my visits to Pep Boys. They have a display of three seats. Got to tell y'all, they don't look bad, and sit quite nicely. Impressive for the price, without a doubt! Available in colors. Big question....will they fit??? Can't wait to see them mounted in the car. Andyrew, take some pics when they're in!!

Andy
Root_Werks
Pics! Yeah! boldblue.gif Me too! I wanna see!
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif Ordered mine today--pick up next Tuesday!!! Yippppppppie!

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Carlitos Way
I'd love to see some pictures of the seats INSTALLED. It looks like installation is gonna be hard, with the e-brake... or am I the only one who uses that funny little lever on the left?
DougC
Any idea what the total height is on the back? Do you have a back pad? I know it's kinda besides the point at that price you could always have an upholstry shop reconfigure the back pad that's what I'd probably want to do.

Doug C
DougC
BTW, this seat looks alot like the Corbeau Clubman seat.

Doug C
skline
Why is it, that when I asked about a week ago about these seats, everyone ragged on them. Andy picks up a set and you guys are all goo goo gaa gaa over them?? They were $85 for a pair on Evilbay last week. The draw back was shipping was 150 bucks which makes it a better deal buying them locally at PB.
Joe Ricard
Wasn't me going ga ga. No way I would have attempted my cross country adventure in a Corbeau forza. Recaro SRD (really heavy) but oh so supportive. Imagine my supprise when I got home and realized I could adjust the recline of the seat back,. headbang.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(skline @ Dec 9 2004, 11:59 AM)
Why is it, that when I asked about a week ago about these seats, everyone ragged on them. Andy picks up a set and you guys are all goo goo gaa gaa over them??

different seats, if i recall. the ones on ebay were reclinable -- these aren't.

either way, i'm not impressed. okay for street, but i'd want FIA regulated seats for competition. and i'd want to be SNUG.

just my 02
nebreitling
FIA standards for competition seats (clicking downloads a .doc)

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/962...tition_seat.doc
andys
QUOTE(skline @ Dec 9 2004, 11:59 AM)
Why is it, that when I asked about a week ago about these seats, everyone ragged on them. Andy picks up a set and you guys are all goo goo gaa gaa over them?? They were $85 for a pair on Evilbay last week. The draw back was shipping was 150 bucks which makes it a better deal buying them locally at PB.

Guess I got caught up with avoiding the embarresment of posting a counter point the first time around. Ahhh, safety in numbers (I know, what a wimp!). I think these seats are really quite nice for the money......Of course they aren't one of the majors, nor are they a "racing" seat, but I'd suggest you view them for what they are and not for what you wish them to be. The one's I mentioned that were on display, were of three different styles. I think PB has color co-ordinated matching steering wheels for cheap as well (?). Hmmm, wonder if they stock 5x130 pattern wheels? Nah, can't be that easy!

Andy
DougC
I think they're more than 'alright' for a street car.. I mean they cost less than having stocks recovered plus you get better bolsters and they have provisions for 5pt harness. I just don't like the top part, maybe with a little trim and tuck the headrests off the stock seats could be utilized or eliminated all together? I do have the Corbeau Lo-back GTA on order though and should get them today or tomorrow. If I don't like 'em I may consider these.

Doug C
bondo
Related hijack:

Someone mentioned to me that the 80s Toyota MR2 seats would fit a 914.. I happened to have a pair of 80s MR2 seats around from a previous abandoned project (Electric dual motor trike made out of shaft drive motorcycle parts). I took the stockrails off and welded on 914 rails. They are MUCH more comfortable, especially for long drives. They give more side support than stock seats. You end up about 1" higher, ok for me but maybe not for folks tall enough that they barely fit with stock seats. The backpad is out of the question. With the backpad removed, they will slide about as far back as stock seats, but I still have some seatbelt interference to resolve. It's not a bolt in swap, but it makes a daily driver more bearable and to me is worth the effort. I will post pics eventually (got too much going on this week, and I still have to mod the passenger side seat) Oh, the ebrake will still work if you cut the shaft off the seat's tilt adjuster (which is redundant anyways because the 914 rail assembly tilts)
Dr Evil
Hows about some pics of the bottoms of the seats from PB? To give ideas for rail mounting.

Bondo, I think I was the one that told you that. Glad it al worked out.
bondo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 9 2004, 03:44 PM)

Bondo, I think I was the one that told you that. Glad it al worked out.

Yup, I remembered it was someone at the D&G swap smile.gif
Andyrew
For those that thought the ebrake would be a problem. nope, no problem at all. loads of clearance.

Next problem is mounting. I took pics, dads uploading them. I put the provided sliders in, and thought of a way I could mount this. I am thinking that if I cut the 914 seat adjuster, and welded the provided 3A racing slider to the 914 seat adjuster, then I will have adjustability.

The seats have 4 mounting screws that attach directly to the seat (steel frame remember.. Suprisingly light, i'll weigh it in a sec.) They seem to be about an inch or so wider than the 914 seat. So With that in mind, I'll figure something out. MUAHAHAHA

muaha
Andyrew
racing seat is 20lbs each.
914 seat is 20lbs each... Just weighed em...
Howard
Andy, great post. Keep looking at those things when I'm at local store. Do you think it can be bolted to the stock 914 tracks? Is the seat wider or just the mounts?
Andyrew
When I said seats, I ment mounts... Im working on mounting it currently.. I have "a plan, New deal" whatever..

It is wider than the stock seat rails.. But I think it will work... Te rust me...

I'll see if dad can upload the pics.. Im off to work!!! (called me in.. grrrrr.... eh, 4 hours x 6.75... erm.. carry the taxes...dang... phoey)

Andrew
dan10101
Here's my 2 cents

Butt fit..
I'm 6' 1" 215-225 depending on if I'm talking to my wife about my diet or not.

The fit is very snug about the same as any other standard race seat I've test fit. I would not enjoy a long drive to LA or maybe even SF in that seat. I'll be fine driving it around town and at Autocrosses. biggrin.gif

More of a concern will be the front bolster under your leg. It won't allow the leg to go straight out. Could be a problem on some (maybe all) drivers. It's built up with a spring so you can't just remove the pad like on my cheap seats.
DougC
Any update on this guys? How about a picture of the seats just sitting in the car, I'd like to get an idea of the height of the back relative to the rear window. TIA!

Doug C
d7n7master
How about pics of the seats with the rails installed. Dimensions?
Thanks,
dan10101
Aight, heres how far i've gotten...

First is the seat sitting on the 914 rail (stock rail.. not my modified one)
Seams fine.. My head is about level with the top of the seat. im 6'..
dan10101
Next, my modified seat rail.

(extra seat rail... lol)

Cut off the 914 part.. and moved the lever pivot over.. Got to move it back, I moved it to far... (vice is a little difficult to use...)
dan10101
Next is how it compares to the provided seat rails. I will use an L shaped steel bracket to mount the two together... Welded bracket to the 914 seat rail. bolted to the 3A rail.
dan10101
And close up..
dan10101
And the lever of the stock one.. For comparison purposes..

Hope this helps you guys see what all im doing.

It is completely possible to just mount the given rails to the body of the 914, completely taking out the 914 rails.. but I wanted some hight adjustment, so I decided to try the long way...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.