Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STOLEN 914 BARSTOW, CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Steve, this could not have happened to a nicer guy. I am sorry for your loss.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 18 2013, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Aug 18 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Yeah..man I've been driving my white car to work (all over town) and I have a battery cut off and I use all the time.

agree.gif I use a quick-release steering wheel and a hidden fuel pump switch.

I have often used a ground wire in the tach circuit, connected to a switch that grounds when you press it and becomes open the next time you hit it. Hidden under the carpet or in the backpad, it's almost impossible to find unless you know it exists and have the time to look for it. Most folks aren't gonna suspect the point wire is grounded, and it's easy to splice into the wire where it's pretty hard to find the connection. One of my customers ran a wire through his lighter that cut power to the coil when the lighter was removed or put in the "off" position. There could be other ways to utilize the lighter to do this, and other dummy switches could also be used. The advantage of using the lighter was he could drop it in his pocket and carry it away.

The Cap'n
partwerks
Been there, done that. Back when I had my 3.6 conversion disappear at Partwerks of Chicago, after the owner died, and the employee thought he had the green light to do whatever he did. Probably chopped it up. Good thing he was dumb enough to leave the VIN tag lay around his apartment for the cops to find.

I still have never heard anything as to what really happened to it, to this day.
Eric_Shea
Just came across this. My heart dropped when I read your first post. Now I'm happy and sad all at the same time. Having something like that happen really is gut wrenching. I suppose you can always get new tools etc. but, the personal invasion really leaves you with a pit in your stomach.

Safe travels. The spirit of the gang is with you! biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
This reminds me to upgrade my insurance plan... sad.gif
Lou W
I was just thinking after reading this that maybe pulling the coil wire or disabling the tow vehicle too at night? Glad to hear everything worked out smile.gif
monkeyboy
If the car is still on the trailer at Penske, they should know where to get tie downs.

If Patty still works there, she knows. I used to go to the desert with her and her family. She knows how to load a trailer.
shoguneagle
found out several things missing: front 916 fiberglass bumper, entire car rubber seals mostly new, door side covers and arms, under dash padded trim with air grills, radio, most of the carpet kit, 180# rear springs (2), and other items that were in the truck stolen items.

Found out another thing: Penske has several trucks which any key will mostly open the doors and ignition; it appears I may have had one of those International trucks. Seems to explain how easy they were able to drive away.

Ok, need help on these initial parts; got to get moving to get the car running, road worthy and licensed in Oregon.

The front bumper and rear bumper could be replaced with original ones is they are available and not two expensive; the rubber seals will be the expensive ones and will have to locate some used ones.
Mike Bellis
I might have an under dash pad you can have. I'll check in the morning. beerchug.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 23 2013, 10:29 PM) *

I might have an under dash pad you can have. I'll check in the morning. beerchug.gif

If you don't have one Mike I do....... let me know if you need it.

Jeff
euro911
So they found the truck, Steve?

Did you recover most of your personal irreplaceable items?
SLITS
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 23 2013, 11:24 PM) *

So they found the truck, Steve?

Did you recover most of your personal irreplaceable items?

Truck was completely empty of all items.

I probably have a few stock bumpers ... not great but might be useable ... possibly front/rear valences to ... have a fiberglass one to but don't remember if it's front or rear ... dash pad with vents for sure ... will look later today at the shop.
Not sure If I have used seals or not.
euro911
mad.gif
shoguneagle
The stolen parts have been sourced from our members, vendors, suppliers, outside manufacturers, and whatever source became available.

Our vendors have all the parts that I have not yet purchased, members have parts I will need down road, and members/manufacturers/suppliers have provided critical parts (some free and some paid) which will allow the car to be completed. I cannot say enough about the support I have received from all parties. It is only through events such as this we find out how great our members and club are, a rising to different situations as needed.

I thank each and everyone of our suppliers, manufacturers, and members for being involved in our cars because you are the ones who truly make our hobby enjoyable. I can mention names but do not want to offend anyone by missing them. So. .. . . . .

I PERSONALLY THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE TO SUPPORT MY CAR AND THE EVENTS MY WIFE AND I JUST WENT THROUGH!!! SHE THANKS YOU !!! YOUR COMMENTS AND SUPPORT MEANS A LOT TO US.

Now onto the building of the vehicle . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Steve N Sandy Hurt

ps: I just have to throw in "Mueller's Dancing Banana " piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

rhodyguy
endeavor to perceiver.
rick 918-S
Freaking out now! Sheeze! I thought the car was complete when you found it. Sorry to hear they got your parts too.

I just trailered the 6 I purchased from Ethan through Barstow. We didn't even want to stop for gas because of what happened to you.

Did you get everything you need to put the car right?
shoguneagle
We have located most of the parts and a little short on the rubber seals. Thankful we have "Lit'l Mikey" (Mark) from 914rubber.com. These are assets like Mark and all our members provide as a service and business. Sometimes they are free and sometimes they cost; depends on the situation, event and member.

I will need the windshield seal (across the top and down both sides; left and right from top of each A pillar to the bottom sill. There may be a couple more that I need but I will find out later.

I got all the interior items replaced except for the door sills, carpet edge covers, etc. for each door. The door side covers have been replaced and all the related areas including the pockets, arms, etc. They will be covered to match my newly restored seats and interior.

You can see I am in very good shape from the activities provided by our members and suppliers. There is more needed but I will approach these as I am putting the car together.

Thanks, again Everyone

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.