Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STOLEN 914 BARSTOW, CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
shoguneagle
PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT MY 914-SIXER WHICH WAS ON A PENSKI FULL TRAILER BEING PULLED BY A 26 FOOT PENSKE TRUCK. IT WAS TAKEN SOMEWHERE AROUND 0120 AM ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LOCATED ON WEST MAIN STREET NEAR HOME DEPOT.

THE VEHICLE WAS ALASKA BLUE WITH WIDE FENDERS, CUP II 17 INCH RIMS, NO FRONT BUMPER, REAR BUMPER FIBERGLASS, REAR DECK PRIMER, FRONT DECK PRIMER, NO TOP, WINDOWS ROLLED UP, 911-6 1987 CARRERA ENGINE WITH COMPLETE INJECTION, REBUILT DR. EVIL TRANSMISSION WITH AFOX GEARS, BRONZE BUSHINGS IN ALL SUSPENSION PARTS, 911 FRONT SUSPENSION AND BRAKES, REAR SUSPENSION 914 WITH 911 BRAKES, SWAY-A-WAY REAR AXLES WITH LARGE CV JOINTS AND ADAPTORS, SEATS REDONE, ETC.

THIS JUST HAPPENED THIS MORNING SO IF ANY ONE SPOTS THE CAR, TRAILER, OR TRUCK PLEASE LET THE POLICE KNOW. I CAN HAVE THE LICENSE NUMBER, ETC. WHEN I GET BACK TO OREGON.

TURNING OUT TO BE A VERY, VERY UNHAPPY MOVING TRIP!!!

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED; PROBABLE VALUE IN THE CAR IS IN "PARTING OUT" SO PLEASE SPOT ANY UNUSUAL SALES ON PARTS.

THANKS,

STEVE HURT
SHOGUNEAGLE

P.S. YES, I AM SHOUTING SINCE THIS CAR REPRESENTS ALOT TO ME BECAUSE OF THE FORMER OWNER DIED FROM CANCER. HE WAS A VERY CLOSE PERSONAL FRIEND. VERY UPSETTING!!
jimkelly
andy found his car hours after it was stolen - I hope you have the same success!!!!
Mike Bellis
Very sad. sad.gif I bet it is within 3 miles of that hotel. Check for video surveillance footage near by.
Chris H.
That SUCKS. Sorry to hear, we'd all be shouting too. Really hope you find it...
JStroud
That really sucks!!!! Pretty bold not a small rig to be driving around. If the truck was a rental maybe the company has GPS tracking on it.

Hope you find it in one piece.

Jeff
bulitt
mad.gif
Drums66
....That's a shame, was she real??(914/6)
bye1.gif
stugray
Did ANYONE leave a cell phone in the rig?

Kids, wife, spare?.
Of course it would have to be charged, but the cellphone providers can track them even if they dont have GPS.

Stu - Sorry to hear.
914_teener
So the car was found?

It was stolen in Barstow CA right?
Elliot Cannon
Nothing worse than a thief. Do I correctly understand that the whole rig was stolen? Not just the car? With ALL your stuff on it? I'll keep an eye out here on the central California coast but chances are all the stuff is still in Barstow. Good luck.
R8CERX
I am in Tijuana Mexico on a family trip- I shall keep an eye around town and across the border as I move around in case it has headed south.

Sorry about the loss- but I do think they new what they are stealing- so they will somehow will try to network to try to move/sale car or parts- hope they are caught soon!

mad.gif
bandjoey
Hotel and gas station cameras?

Good luck!
JawjaPorsche
Crap! Damn Thieves.
rick 918-S
agree.gif Check all local businesses for cameras ASAP!
mrbubblehead
that totally sucks. barstow is an extremely high theft area. the offroad races are held there and someone useually sleeps in the trailers or in the race cars themselves to keep away the thieves. i wish i would have known you were planning on staying there. especially with an open trailer. i would have suggested an alternative. the closest place to sell the stolen car or parts would be vegas or san bernarino/ victorville area. i will keep my eyes open for you. can you post pictures of your car. particularly pictures of stuff that would be difficult to change. welded on parts, dents, somthing that makes it unique?
i have forwarded this thread to my vw/porsche friends in the inland empire area. so we will keep an eye out for it.
good luck.
shoguneagle
Gentlemen, the great thoughts and the winds of the "Gods" has allowed me to find my car, truck and trailer in Apple Valley which is down the I-15 South. The thieves separated the truck and trailer/auto next to the I-15 and drove the truck several miles away.

The car had all the tie downs cut, ramps down, and ready to unload. I think since the car would not start because of a fuel pump electrical that went bad while loading it. It appears the car was expecting something like this to happen. Did loose my tie downs and the ones on the trailer.

It was by chance the same Barstow Police Officer who took my initial report was taking a prisoner into jail when he spotted the car and trailer along the I-15 freeway. Law of chances and everyone's good thoughts made it happen. A lot of respect for Barstow PD.

As we were leaving to go north to Oregon, we received a phone call from the San Bernadino County Sheriff Office says they believed they had found the truck. We met them at the described site and it was the truck completely emptied. It contained our personal items such as computers, books, Navajo rugs and pottery, stereo equipment, pictures, etc. All 26 feet of the van/truck. In addition, I lost all my tools which was contained in seven tool boxes of various shapes and sizes. tools included grinders, pneumatic ratchs, etc.

We spent all day with the Sheriff's Department recovering the car, truck, and trailer completely intact; lost the items being transported in the 26 foot truck.

Someways very fortunate; other ways not so lucky; always appreciate the find support and work done by our Barstow Police Department, SB Valley Sheriff Office, 911 Control Center, and the individuals who make up our law enforcement teams. They stayed with us until the very end.

Penske agency in Apple Valley gave us support directly by providing towing, storage, and support in recovering our items. They stayed after hours and picked up the car/trailer and towed it to their facilities. They then stored it in their facilities and are trying to locate a smaller vehicle for towing to Oregon; maybe even provide tie down items for the trip; these were either cut or stolen.

Any suggestions where I can get quality tie down for the car?

Thanks for all your comments and support; it means a lot to me.

The car is a normal 914-4 completely converted to 911 Carrera engine, front suspension, rear brakes, sway-a-way axles, rear 108cvs and drive flanges, suspensions in bronze, and other related items.

May a bad day, but recovery of every thing except the personal items is still a great day; we are still alive and we have had great support from every body.

A big thanks,
Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle
ConeDodger
Good! biggrin.gif
mrbubblehead
cool, at least it wasnt a total loss.
SLITS
Desert crackheads!
rick 918-S
Sorry for your personal property. Good to here your friends car is still with you. It sounds like a very special car.
speed metal army
Phew!! smile.gif beerchug.gif
Krieger
What a tough thing to go through. Hang in there!
JRust
Damn so sorry to hear that. Such a crappy way to begin your time here in Oregon. Lousy flipping thieves. So glad you got your car back. Bummer on you loosing all your personal stuff sad.gif . At least no one was hurt through this physically. The emotional toll on losing your personal stuff will be tough I am sure. Please let me know if I can do anything. I can be down with an Excursion to haul the trailer up tomorrow if need be confused24.gif
Krieger
If you had renter/home owners insurance you might get $ for your new start.
Shindog1961
Glad to hear you got your car back! Sorry about the other stuff. Nice to hear a good story about the police.
Andyrew
Steve,

Glad to hear you were able to recover your vehicles intact!
Cairo94507
Wow! So glad to hear that this came a quick conclusion and that you still have most of your stuff. Hopefully they will find the thieves and exact justice on them.
bulitt
Steve- any home depot or Lowes will have ratcheting tiedowns. They wont go over the tires but they are heavy duty and work very well at an affordable price.
ThinAir
So glad to hear that there is a good outcome on the car. I know how much effort you've put into it. I'm bummed that the truck was empty, but thankful that you are okay and that you had good support.
BMXerror
Welcome to the Ghetto-ass desert that I call 'home'. dry.gif Barstow PD ought to be good at catching theivin' pricks. They get an awful lot of practice. And no surprise at all that the thieves took sanctuary in Apple Valley (right next door to where I live). Sorry for your losses. Hopefully the low-lifes who did this get exactly what's coming to them... an aids infection from their heroine needle. I can't believe they actually cut the tiedowns. That had to take longer than simply loosening them. Criminals are effin dumb!
Sorry again. I hope your insurance makes this process easy on you, and you can leave this incident behind. beerchug.gif
Mark D.
R8CERX
piratenanner.gif

Great to hear not a total loss!
VegasRacer
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 17 2013, 04:58 PM) *

. . . . . the car would not start because of a fuel pump electrical that went bad while loading it. It appears the car was expecting something like this to happen.

I believe it. wub.gif The car loves you.
URY914
For once a 914 not starting is a good thing!
Ian Stott
Unfortunately it is a good wake up call for all of us, our cars to the unknowing look very valuable due to the care and attention we put into them. Really glad to hear a lot of the positive things that happened, sorry for the loss of the stuff in your truck. I try hard not to hate, but thieves really piss me off.

Ian Stott
Sgt i/c Security
Government of Canada Bldg.
Moncton
Canada
Cairo94507
Remind me to mail and old iPhone to Scotty before he ships me my car so I can follow it and locate it in transit.....of course that is 1 year away....
JStroud
I ordered a battery cutoff switch last night, now I'm worried about leaving mine in hotel parking lots while on my trip....damn thieves bs.gif

Glad you found your car....hopefully the rest will get resolved, but you can't replace some things...but people like that just don't get it confused24.gif GET A JOB!

Jeff
carr914
Glad the car is recovered & hopefully the Scum are dumb enough to do something that results in your other property being found.

I can understand them cutting the Tie-Downs - until you get used to them (& even then), they are a Pain in the Ass.
shoguneagle
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. It does make a difference. I will go to Home Depot or Loewe's for the Come-A-Longs, heavy tie down straps, etc. Once I get the truck and the tie downs, I will be on my way to Oregon.

We have never had any major thefts like this one; it only lets one know how close we all are to having major trauma events and happenings. I will drive and the car through So-Cal to Flagstaff, and then back to Ventura where I bought it; then up through Nor-Cal where I spent sixty plus years.

The events got my focus and now I will accomplish the car completeness and drive. Those "lazy and weak minded" people who took our items will not defeat the purpose of the car - creating traveling enjoyment to our friends of cancer.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Steve

scotty
Watch out for ID Theft if your computers had any information stored in them.
ruby914
QUOTE(scotty @ Aug 18 2013, 08:14 AM) *

Watch out for ID Theft if your computers had any information stored in them.

agree.gif I had to change all my passwords and account # when my laptop was stolen from my home. You should put an alert on your credit files.

"An initial security alert can be immediately added to your credit file. This alerts creditors to confirm your identity before extending credit. Once an alert is added, your name will be removed from prescreened credit solicitation lists."

http://www.experian.com/credit-education/v...assistance.html

Good luck.
euro911
Bittersweet events, sorry to hear, Steve dry.gif

Yes, if the PD hasn't already checked for surveillance video(s) in the area, ask them about it.

Can you provide us with descriptions of any items that are unique? (brand of computer(s), brand of tool chests, any unique tools, etc.) confused24.gif

If so, I can look for those items on Craigslist ... maybe some of the other guys here can do the same?
oldschool
Yeah..man I've been driving my white car to work (all over town) and I have a battery cut off and I use all the time.
Drums66
Don't be paranoid!.....it's a fact of life.(theft happen's)

flag.gif bye1.gif
veltror
Steve,

best wishes from the UK

Roman
SirAndy
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 18 2013, 08:00 AM) *
then up through Nor-Cal where I spent sixty plus years.

Steve, let me know when you guys are coming through here, would be great to see you again.

beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(oldschool @ Aug 18 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Yeah..man I've been driving my white car to work (all over town) and I have a battery cut off and I use all the time.

agree.gif I use a quick-release steering wheel and a hidden fuel pump switch.
euro911
Good idea. Where did you hide the switch, Jim? poke.gif

laugh.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 18 2013, 03:55 PM) *

Good idea. Where did you hide the switch, Jim? poke.gif

laugh.gif

In the wheel well, but I'm not gonna tell which one... biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
I leave mine unlocked with the keys in it, damn thing is still here. I guess they think it is a bait car. confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 18 2013, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Aug 18 2013, 11:24 AM) *

agree.gif I use a quick-release steering wheel and a hidden fuel pump switch. And keep it locked up in the garage. happy11.gif lol-2.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.